• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pulborough Brooks - Greasy spoon? (1 Viewer)

wetlands_wedge

Dear Each,
A small group of freinds are to descend on PB this coming Sunday. Could somebody, please, let us know if there is a 'greasy spoon' somewhere nearby? We would prefer to eat before getting there so as to allow the maximum time 'birding'!;)
Many thanks in advance, and, if any of you are about do say 'hello'! You will know us ... egg stains on the shirt, ketchup on chin etc!:-O

Hi,

Can't say that I've ever noticed, but I would think that there is bound to be a Happy Eater or something down either the A24 or A29.... maybe try their website...

Not too sure about any of the local villages being of the sort that would boast a truckers caff!! (not to say that there isn't one!)

Ruby

Yes, more likely to find a genteel tea-shop en route ie. Petworth.

I think Ruby is right, there's something like a Happy Eater towards Billingshurst on the A29.

There's always the cafe at the RSPB Pulborough?

Have a great day!
Ian

had a lovely afternoon here on Sunday. Beautiful weather, not too hot.

Some Teal, herds of Widgeon grazing the grasslands, Snipe, Shelduck, Heron, 2 Stonechat, 1 Whinchat in the woods, beautiful Jay in flight near me. Maybe nothing rare or spectacular but a really nice day out.

If you have not been and are thinking of going, I would recommend it.

dave

Nice one Dave.

Funnily enough, I was thinking of going down there today (probably haven't been for a year or so) but in the finish settled for a walk around my local area instead...

Eventually managed to see a few nice birds (Bullfinch, Kestrel, Green and GS Woodies, Jay, LT Tits etc) but have to say that I was a bit depressed by the overall lack of birds - very poor numbers seen whilst walking around 3-4 miles of what appears to be pretty good habitat... I was particularly on the look-out for winter Thrushes, Redpoll, Siskin, Bramblings etc, but none of these and little of anything else.

More birds in my garden quite frankly!

Hi,

Can't say that I've ever noticed, but I would think that there is bound to be a Happy Eater or something down either the A24 or A29.... maybe try their website...

Not too sure about any of the local villages being of the sort that would boast a truckers caff!! (not to say that there isn't one!)

Ruby

Hi Ruby!

We actually stopped at Beare Green on the A24. Nice little 'caff' that catered mainly for 'anglers'
We were coming south, came around the big roundabout (heading north now) and about one hundred yards up on the left, opposite the gap in the central res there is a turning with visible shops and the 'caff' reasonable and tasty, will use again!

It was quiet there. The car park was full when I arrived so quite busy that day which would have kept the birds away I guess. I made up for it with more strolling and less sitting than I would have liked.

dave

A24 just north of Dorking is a place called Box Hill.
Excellent cafe, reasonable prices and toilets.
Huge car park.
Stop there regularly on way to Worthing.
Recommend it highly.
Further south on the A24 is a X-roads A24/A272 a service area has a McDonalds.
After that there are a couple of SPEED CAMERA's so beware if you are going down this route!!!!

Last edited:
A24 just north of Dorking is a place called Box Hill.
Excellent cafe, reasonable prices and toilets.
Huge car park.
Stop there regularly on way to Worthing.
Recommend it highly.
Further south on the A24 is a X-roads A24/A272 a service area has a McDonalds.
After that there are a couple of SPEED CAMERA's so beware if you are going down this route!!!!

Thanks for that Gaz! I know Rykers at Box Hill, I used to go there regularly of a Sunday morning on the 'bike. I go 'birding' now on a Sunday!
I must go to Worthing again one day ..... I haven't been there since I was a nipper!

Hi Wetlands Wedge,

have you been to wwt Barnes recently? If you have is it any good this month? It is only about 30 miles from me, and I am a member still.

might give it a look this weekend if you know, or take a chance.

dave

Hi Wetlands Wedge,

have you been to wwt Barnes recently? If you have is it any good this month? It is only about 30 miles from me, and I am a member still.

might give it a look this weekend if you know, or take a chance.

dave

Hiya Dave!

I haven't been able to get to WWT much just lately due to family problems but just recently there has been a Yellow Browed Warbler in attendance and I notice on BirdGuides that there was a reported SEO and Ring Billed Gull there today.
On Saturday we went to Rainham and had a quiet day calling in to WWT for the last half hour on the way back. Didn't see much but had some quite good views of a Jack Snipe.
The thing is, you never know what is going to turn up! My only advice is to not go at weekends; it gets banged out with screaming kids! I have nothing against 'em but their parents let 'em climb all over the shop, sometimes pulling down some of the garden features or trampling plants! Kids should be taught about nature, I agree, but toddlers who can barely walk? No.
My only other peice of advice is to keep your eyes open for people who seem to spend time in one place. They probably know what they are looking for and the vast majority are only too pleased to help out!
I hope that you enjoy yourself if you do go! I won't be going for a few weeks but will pm you in case you might want to meet up with a small group of us!

All the very best,
Reg

Last edited:
I agree with your thoughts about the weekend audiences. Lots of chelsea tractors with herds of kids invade the restaurant and seem to dig in for 2 hour lunches so the likes of me can not get a seat to sit n thaw out with coffee. Then the kids run about the reserve screaming, no wonder the birds make themselves scarce. I know the WWT make loads of money from food sales.

harumph

dave

Hi Reg (and everyone else),

Just seen your invite but yet again I will have to miss out. Not really missing out, because I am going to Holkham with the LNHS. If it is anything like their recent Elmley and Titchwell coach trips it should be great.

Anyways, have a great time and hope to meet up again with you lot soon.

Mike

Last edited:
Hi Reg (and everyone else),

Just seen your invite but yet again I will have to miss out. Not really missing out, because I am going to Holkham with the LNHS. If it is anything like their recent Elmley and Titchwell coach trips it should be great.

Anyways, have a great time and hope to meet up again with you lot soon.

Mike

Hiya Mike!

Lovely to hear from you! Hope that you had a lovely Christmas / New Year. Sorry that you cannot make Pulborough but I am sure that you will have ALMOST as good a time as we will!
I have heard that the LNHS trips are good; perhaps we can all meet up for one someday!
We will be at Barnes this weekend should you be in the area.

All the very best,
Reg

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back