• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Puffins. (1 Viewer)

mattwhite

Hi All

I am asking this question here as Co. Durham is my patch...

Where is the closest place to me where I can go to see Puffins in the wild? What time of year is best to see them?

I have set myself a goal of seeing as many birds as possible within the Nort East this year and a Puffin is my number one. Not sure if this is even possible as I know very little about them to be honest.

Matt

For closer views Farne Island and Bempton from end of June onwards.

But on possible fly pasts Whitburn and Hartlepool Headland.

We were at Bempton last year in the first week of July and saw plenty.

farne islands are definatley the best but Bempton is very good if its closer to you or you dont fancy the boat trip.

Hi Matt,

The Farnes offer you the chance to see other seabirds in addition to the Puffins. Being able to walk around and see the birds is a big bonus.

Steve C

like others have said farne islands is great for puffins but its also the place id recommend the most because the experience of seeing that many birds that close is brilliant, defiantly should be on everyones list as a place to visit

ds

Thanks for the info. I will do some research and plan a trip to the farne islands in the summer I think. Sounds like a great place to visit.

Matt

I normally head for the farne islands the first 2 weeks in june being the best time.Billy Shiels boat trips are the ones i use and they have a web site.You've gotta take into consideration weather conditions at sea cos too big a swell and they can't land at the jetty anb if they can't see the islands from land they won't go out either.I've been blown off for 2 out of the last 3 years,just unlucky as a day either side would have been fine.
You can get to within feet or sometimes inches of some of the birds and some are really tolerant of people except the terns when landing on the island so take a hat............

You can get great views of puffins from the boat trips that leave Amble Harbour and go around Coquet Island (good for roseate terns too) :t:

But the Farnes cannot be beaten AND you get closer views as you can actually land on the islands so you may as well go a few miles further up the coast to Seahouses ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back