• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Prunellidae (3 Viewers)

It needs to be read in conjunction with the earlier paper in post 15 - the genetic difference between "Caucasian Dunnock" and nominate modularis is similar to the difference between raddes and black-throated (and way more than the difference between brown and Kozlov's). Haven't been to the Caucasus (so no field experience) but the song and plumage differences are well described in the paper (and the plumage difference was covered in BWP).
Not so sure about the Pyrenenean race being a full species though - looks and sounds pretty similar to nominate, so if it's a cryptic species it's very cryptic. Shame, because that's the one I've seen...
Remind me what the rough divergence times are here?

Obscura is the first to diverge about 2/3 mya ago
In the 2018 paper they estimate the caucasus/modularis split at 0.471 Ma and the iberian/modularis split at 0.408 Ma. The atrogularis/ocularis split (raddes/black-throated) is similar to the caucasus/modularis split according to their figures. So a bit ironic that further up the thread people were talking about splitting Black-throated into 2 species (based on an earlier paper by the same people).

In the 2018 paper they estimate the caucasus/modularis split at 0.471 Ma and the iberian/modularis split at 0.408 Ma. The atrogularis/ocularis split (raddes/black-throated) is similar to the caucasus/modularis split according to their figures. So a bit ironic that further up the thread people were talking about splitting Black-throated into 2 species (based on an earlier paper by the same people).
Lol, I looked directly at the figure, or I misunderstood the diagram 😅

In fact, I didn't read the paragraph in question 🙄🙄🙄

Last edited:
Kirwan, Guy & Boesman, Peter. (2021). Morphology and song suggest Arabian Prunella fagani and Radde’s Accentors P. ocularis are conspecific. Sandgrouse. 43. 253–262. (PDF) Morphology and song suggest Arabian Prunella fagani and Radde’s Accentors P. ocularis are conspecific.

Two world lists and OSME treat Arabian (or Yemen) Accentor Prunella fagani as a species; two other world lists and a recent Western Palearctic handbook treat it as a subspecies of Radde’s Accentor P. ocularis. On the basis of museum specimens and photographs we find that fagani can be distinguished from ocularis with certainty only by its paler, greyer mid-crown and ear-coverts, and slightly smaller size (shorter wing), while a single recording reveals that its song is basically indistinguishable from ocularis. Setting aside geographic isolation as an inappropriate taxonomic criterion, and acknowledging the tentative findings and limited sampling of two genetic studies, it therefore appears more consistent on current evidence to treat fagani subspecifically. The OSME split of ‘Asian Black-throated Accentor’ P. huttoni from ‘Ural Black-throated Accentor’ P. atrogularis also appears questionable on the current morphological and genetic evidence, especially if endeavouring to reach a robust and consistent taxonomy for the genus Prunella.

From The Key;

Accentor (Prunellidae; syn. Prunella † Alpine Accentor P. collaris) "Der Alpensänger oder die Flüelerche. ) ...) Accentor alpinus. Motacilla alpina. Lin. Fauvette des Alpes, Buff. Alpine Warbler. Lath." (Bechstein 1802); "Accentor Bechstein, 1802, Ornith. Taschenbuch Deutschland, I, 191. Type, by monotypy, Motacilla alpina Lin., i.e. Gmelin, 1789 = Sturnus collaris Scopoli, 1769." (JAJ 2022).

Tharrhaleus (Prunellidae; syn. Prunella † Dunnock P. modularis)
Gr. θαρραλεος tharrhaleos bold, daring, confident < θαρσος tharsos courage (i.e. familiar, confiding); "8. Accentor modularis. ... 8. Braunelle. Tharrhaleus *). E[ntwickelung]. Alle Körpertheile verkleinern sich noch mehr; der Schnabel erhält eingezogene Ränder und das Gefieder verliert das Broncefarbige; indem es braun und bläulichgrau wird. Ch[arakter]. Fluhvögel mit aschgrauer Brust und Kehle. L[ebensart]. Sie nähren sich von Sämereien und Insekten, lieben, wie der Staar, die Nähe des Wassers, bauen ein napfförmiges Nest nahe an die Erde, legen blaugrüne Eier, haben Gesang und wandern im Winter nach dem Süden von Europa. ... *) θαῥῥαλεος, zutraulich." (Kaup 1829); "Tharrhaleus Kaup, 1829, Skizz. Entwick.-Gesch. Natürl. System Europ. Thierwelt, p. 137. Type, by monotypy, Accentor modularis, i.e. Motacilla modularis Linnaeus, 1758." (JAJ 2021).

Spermolegus (Prunellidae; syn. Prunella † Siberian Accentor P. montanella)
Gr. σπερμολογος spermologos picking up seeds < σπερμα sperma, σπερματος spermatos seed < σπειρω speirō to scatter; λεγω legō to gather; "6. Accentor montanellus. ... 6. Bergbraunelle. Spermolegus*) E[ntwickelung]. Die Formen werden noch kleiner; der Schnabel erhält eingezogene Ränder und die Holle verliert sich. Ch[arakter]. Braunellen mit gelblicher, ungefleckter Kehle. L[ebensart]. Fast wie bei der Braunelle. ... *) σπερμα, Samen und λεγω, sammeln." (Kaup 1829); "Spermolegus Kaup, 1829, Skizz. Entwick.-Gesch. Natürl. System. Europ. Thierwelt, p. 152. Type, by monotypy, Accentor montanellus, i.e. Motacilla montanella Pallas, 1776." (JAJ 2021)

Braunella (Prunellidae; syn. Prunella † Dunnock P. modularis) German Braunelle Dunnock < dim. braun brown; perhaps a lapsus for Prunella Vieillot, 1816; "Braunellen. ... 2. Art: Schieferbrüstiger Flüevogel, Accentor modularis. ... Synonyme: Sylvia modularis. S. zya. Braunella modularis. Motacilla modularis. Verschiedene Namen: Hecken Braunelle, schieferbrüstiger Sänger, großer Zaunkönig, braungefleckte Grasmücke" (Behlen 1841) (Laurent Raty in litt.); "Braunella Behlen, 1841, Real- und Verbal-Lexicon der Forst- und Jagdkunde, II, p. 405. Type, by virtual monotypy, Accentor modularis = Motacilla modularis Linnaeus, 1758." (JAJ 2020).

Laiscopus (Prunellidae; syn. Prunella Alpine Accentor P. collaris) Gr. λαες laes stones < λαος laos stone; σκοπος skopos scout, lookout < σκοπεω skopeō to spy out; "Hierher gehört der Fluh- oder Flüevogel der Alpen, häufig auch Flüelerche genannt. (Laïscopus s. Accentor alpinus.) Er hat ziemlich die Gestalt und Größe, so wie oberhalb die Zeichnung einer Feldlerche, nur eine mehr asch- oder steingraue Farbe ... Seine Heimath erstreckt sich von den Alpenzügen Süd-europa's bis auf einige der höchsten Gipfel des Riesengebirges" (Gloger 1843); "Laiscopus Gloger, 1843, Gemein. Hand- und Hilfsbuch Naturgeschichte, I, p. 267. Type, by monotypy, Accentor alpinus = Motacilla alpina Gmelin, 1789 = Sturnus collaris Scopoli, 1769." (JAJ 2021).

Aprunella (Prunellidae; syn. Prunella Ϯ Maroon-backed Accentor P. immaculata) Gr. intensive prefix α- a-; genus Prunella Vieillot, 1816, accentor; "Aprunella gen. nov. ... Apr. immaculata (HODGS.) 1845." (Bianchi 1904); "Aprunella Bianchi, 1904, Ann. Mus. Zool. Acad. Imp. Sci. St. Pétersbourg, 9, p. 118. Type, by monotypy, Accentor immaculatus Hodgson." (Ripley in Peters, 1964, X, p. 3).

Rhododendroeca (Prunellidae; syn. Prunella Rufous-breasted Accentor P. strophiata) Gr. ῥοδοδενδρον rhododendron rose-laurel, oleander < ῥοδον rhodon rose; δενδρον dendron tree; οικος oikos dwelling < οικεω oikeō to inhabit; "GENUS Rhododendroeca Wolters, 1979, VI1) (Subgenus Rhododendroeca Wolters, 1979) Rhododendroeca strophiata (Blyth, 1843) ... (Subgenus - ) Rhododendroeca rubeculoides (Horsf. & Moore, 1854) ... 1) Rhododendroeca gen. nov. ... Die beiden Arten strophiata und rubeculoides stehen zueinander offenbar wie Prunella zu Laiscopus und verdienten daher eigentlich generische, nicht nur subgenerische Sonderung; strophiata unterscheider sich durch Kehlstrichelung, helles Superzilium und weit geringere Grösse (Flügel ca 60-70 gegenüber 80-84 mm), alles offenbar ursprünglichere Merkmale gegenüber Rh. rubeculoides. Rhododendroeca sehe ich als Schwestergruppe zu Laiscopus + Prunella an, während Spermophilus die Schwestergruppe zu Rhododendroeca + Laiscopus + Prunella darstelln dürfte; Spermolegus betrachte ich als die am wenigsten abgeleitete Gattung der Familie. Typus von Rhododendroeca, hier bestimmt, ist Accentor strophiatus Blyth, 1843, Journ. Asiat. Soc. Bengal 12, p. 959." (Wolters 1979) (OD per Björn Bergenholtz); "Rhododendroeca Wolters, 1979, Die Vogelarten der Erde, (4), p. 308. Type, by original designation, Accentor strophiatus Blyth, 1843." (JAJ 2020).

From The Key;

Accentor (Prunellidae; syn. Prunella † Alpine Accentor P. collaris) "Der Alpensänger oder die Flüelerche. ) ...) Accentor alpinus. Motacilla alpina. Lin. Fauvette des Alpes, Buff. Alpine Warbler. Lath." (Bechstein 1802); "Accentor Bechstein, 1802, Ornith. Taschenbuch Deutschland, I, 191. Type, by monotypy, Motacilla alpina Lin., i.e. Gmelin, 1789 = Sturnus collaris Scopoli, 1769." (JAJ 2022).

Tharrhaleus (Prunellidae; syn. Prunella † Dunnock P. modularis)
Gr. θαρραλεος tharrhaleos bold, daring, confident < θαρσος tharsos courage (i.e. familiar, confiding); "8. Accentor modularis. ... 8. Braunelle. Tharrhaleus *). E[ntwickelung]. Alle Körpertheile verkleinern sich noch mehr; der Schnabel erhält eingezogene Ränder und das Gefieder verliert das Broncefarbige; indem es braun und bläulichgrau wird. Ch[arakter]. Fluhvögel mit aschgrauer Brust und Kehle. L[ebensart]. Sie nähren sich von Sämereien und Insekten, lieben, wie der Staar, die Nähe des Wassers, bauen ein napfförmiges Nest nahe an die Erde, legen blaugrüne Eier, haben Gesang und wandern im Winter nach dem Süden von Europa. ... *) θαῥῥαλεος, zutraulich." (Kaup 1829); "Tharrhaleus Kaup, 1829, Skizz. Entwick.-Gesch. Natürl. System Europ. Thierwelt, p. 137. Type, by monotypy, Accentor modularis, i.e. Motacilla modularis Linnaeus, 1758." (JAJ 2021).

Spermolegus (Prunellidae; syn. Prunella † Siberian Accentor P. montanella)
Gr. σπερμολογος spermologos picking up seeds < σπερμα sperma, σπερματος spermatos seed < σπειρω speirō to scatter; λεγω legō to gather; "6. Accentor montanellus. ... 6. Bergbraunelle. Spermolegus*) E[ntwickelung]. Die Formen werden noch kleiner; der Schnabel erhält eingezogene Ränder und die Holle verliert sich. Ch[arakter]. Braunellen mit gelblicher, ungefleckter Kehle. L[ebensart]. Fast wie bei der Braunelle. ... *) σπερμα, Samen und λεγω, sammeln." (Kaup 1829); "Spermolegus Kaup, 1829, Skizz. Entwick.-Gesch. Natürl. System. Europ. Thierwelt, p. 152. Type, by monotypy, Accentor montanellus, i.e. Motacilla montanella Pallas, 1776." (JAJ 2021)

Braunella (Prunellidae; syn. Prunella † Dunnock P. modularis) German Braunelle Dunnock < dim. braun brown; perhaps a lapsus for Prunella Vieillot, 1816; "Braunellen. ... 2. Art: Schieferbrüstiger Flüevogel, Accentor modularis. ... Synonyme: Sylvia modularis. S. zya. Braunella modularis. Motacilla modularis. Verschiedene Namen: Hecken Braunelle, schieferbrüstiger Sänger, großer Zaunkönig, braungefleckte Grasmücke" (Behlen 1841) (Laurent Raty in litt.); "Braunella Behlen, 1841, Real- und Verbal-Lexicon der Forst- und Jagdkunde, II, p. 405. Type, by virtual monotypy, Accentor modularis = Motacilla modularis Linnaeus, 1758." (JAJ 2020).

Laiscopus (Prunellidae; syn. Prunella Alpine Accentor P. collaris) Gr. λαες laes stones < λαος laos stone; σκοπος skopos scout, lookout < σκοπεω skopeō to spy out; "Hierher gehört der Fluh- oder Flüevogel der Alpen, häufig auch Flüelerche genannt. (Laïscopus s. Accentor alpinus.) Er hat ziemlich die Gestalt und Größe, so wie oberhalb die Zeichnung einer Feldlerche, nur eine mehr asch- oder steingraue Farbe ... Seine Heimath erstreckt sich von den Alpenzügen Süd-europa's bis auf einige der höchsten Gipfel des Riesengebirges" (Gloger 1843); "Laiscopus Gloger, 1843, Gemein. Hand- und Hilfsbuch Naturgeschichte, I, p. 267. Type, by monotypy, Accentor alpinus = Motacilla alpina Gmelin, 1789 = Sturnus collaris Scopoli, 1769." (JAJ 2021).

Aprunella (Prunellidae; syn. Prunella Ϯ Maroon-backed Accentor P. immaculata) Gr. intensive prefix α- a-; genus Prunella Vieillot, 1816, accentor; "Aprunella gen. nov. ... Apr. immaculata (HODGS.) 1845." (Bianchi 1904); "Aprunella Bianchi, 1904, Ann. Mus. Zool. Acad. Imp. Sci. St. Pétersbourg, 9, p. 118. Type, by monotypy, Accentor immaculatus Hodgson." (Ripley in Peters, 1964, X, p. 3).

Rhododendroeca (Prunellidae; syn. Prunella Rufous-breasted Accentor P. strophiata) Gr. ῥοδοδενδρον rhododendron rose-laurel, oleander < ῥοδον rhodon rose; δενδρον dendron tree; οικος oikos dwelling < οικεω oikeō to inhabit; "GENUS Rhododendroeca Wolters, 1979, VI1) (Subgenus Rhododendroeca Wolters, 1979) Rhododendroeca strophiata (Blyth, 1843) ... (Subgenus - ) Rhododendroeca rubeculoides (Horsf. & Moore, 1854) ... 1) Rhododendroeca gen. nov. ... Die beiden Arten strophiata und rubeculoides stehen zueinander offenbar wie Prunella zu Laiscopus und verdienten daher eigentlich generische, nicht nur subgenerische Sonderung; strophiata unterscheider sich durch Kehlstrichelung, helles Superzilium und weit geringere Grösse (Flügel ca 60-70 gegenüber 80-84 mm), alles offenbar ursprünglichere Merkmale gegenüber Rh. rubeculoides. Rhododendroeca sehe ich als Schwestergruppe zu Laiscopus + Prunella an, während Spermophilus die Schwestergruppe zu Rhododendroeca + Laiscopus + Prunella darstelln dürfte; Spermolegus betrachte ich als die am wenigsten abgeleitete Gattung der Familie. Typus von Rhododendroeca, hier bestimmt, ist Accentor strophiatus Blyth, 1843, Journ. Asiat. Soc. Bengal 12, p. 959." (Wolters 1979) (OD per Björn Bergenholtz); "Rhododendroeca Wolters, 1979, Die Vogelarten der Erde, (4), p. 308. Type, by original designation, Accentor strophiatus Blyth, 1843." (JAJ 2020).
Here, Accentor is preoccupied by a senior homonym which is currently a synonym of Cinclus. So, Accentor Bechstein (1802) is not valid.

Here, Accentor is preoccupied by a senior homonym which is currently a synonym of Cinclus. So, Accentor Bechstein (1802) is not valid.
Im not sure. Many websites say "Accentor Bechstein, Orn. Taschenb., vol. i, p. 191, 1802. Type by orig, desig., Sturnus collaris Scopoli; not Accentor Bechstein, 1797." I cannot find Bechstein 1797 but here is the Richmond card:
http://www.zoonomen.net/cit/RI/SP/Acce/Acce00001a.jpg .
Bechstein 1802:
Ornithologisches Taschenbuch von und für Deutschland, oder, Kurze Beschreibung aller Vögel Deutschlands für Liebhaber dieses Theils der Naturgeschichte - Biodiversity Heritage Library .
Scopoli S. collaris:
annus 1-4 (1769-1770) - Ioannis Antonii Scopoli ... Annus I-[V] historico-naturalis ... - Biodiversity Heritage Library .

True, Laurent, I should have inserted the complete Key Accentor entry which reads:

Accentor
Mod. L. accentor chorister < L. ad towards, for; cantor, cantoris singer < canere to sing. “The genus Accentor was first proposed by Bechstein [1797] ...for the Dipper in the same year in which Cinclus was proposed by Borkhausen for the same bird. It is uncertain whether Borkhausen or Bechstein’s name was published first. Subsequently, in 1802 Bechstein ...used the same generic term Accentor, for the Alpine Accentor. The next available name for the Accentors is Prunella Vieillot ... and this is used by Hartert and other writers, and has undoubted priority under the international rules. As, however, the transfer of the well-known name Accentor to the Dippers would be a cause of confusion, the Committee have retained Accentor for the Hedge-Sparrows as a “nomen conservandum” ” (BOU 1915).
● (Muscicapidae; syn. Calliope † Siberian Rubythroat C. calliope) “Accentor Bechst. Mot. calliope Pall. u. a. m.” (Boie 1826); “Accentor “Bechst.” Boie, 1826, Isis von Oken, col. 972 (not of Bechstein, 1797, nor of Bechstein, 1802). Type, by monotypy, Motacilla calliope Pallas, 1776.” (JAJ 2023).
● (Cinclidae; syn. Cinclus † White-throated Dipper C. cinclus) "Der Wassersänger. (Wasserstaar, Wasseramsel, Bach- oder Seeamsel.) Accentor aquaticus. Mihi. Sturnus Cinclus. Gmelin Lin. Syst. I. 2. p. 803. n. 5. Merle d'eau. Buffon hist. nat. des ois. VIII - p. 134. tab. II. Water-Ouzel. Latham" (Bechstein 1797); "Accentor Bechstein, Getreue Abbild. Naturhist. Gegenstände, 2, Heft 3, 1797, p. 47, pl. 30, (later than September), 1797—type, by monotypy, Accentor. aquaticus Bechstein = Sturnus cinclus Linnaeus." (Hellmayr, 1934, Cat. Birds Americas, Pt. VII, p. 106).
● (Prunellidae; syn. Prunella † Alpine Accentor P. collaris) "Der Alpensänger oder die Flüelerche. ) ...) Accentor alpinus. Motacilla alpina. Lin. Fauvette des Alpes, Buff. Alpine Warbler. Lath." (Bechstein 1802); "Accentor Bechstein, 1802, Ornith. Taschenbuch Deutschland, I, 191 (not of Bechstein, 1797). Type, by monotypy, Motacilla alpina Lin., i.e. Gmelin, 1789 = Sturnus collaris Scopoli, 1769." (JAJ 2022).

Im not sure. Many websites say "Accentor Bechstein, Orn. Taschenb., vol. i, p. 191, 1802. Type by orig, desig., Sturnus collaris Scopoli; not Accentor Bechstein, 1797." I cannot find Bechstein 1797 but here is the Richmond card:
Bechstein 1802:
Ornithologisches Taschenbuch von und für Deutschland, oder, Kurze Beschreibung aller Vögel Deutschlands für Liebhaber dieses Theils der Naturgeschichte - Biodiversity Heritage Library .
Scopoli S. collaris:
annus 1-4 (1769-1770) - Ioannis Antonii Scopoli ... Annus I-[V] historico-naturalis ... - Biodiversity Heritage Library .
In short:

Accentor Bechstein, 1795, type : Sturnus cinclus
Accentor
Bechstein, 1797, type : Sturnus cinclus
Accentor
Bechstein, 1800, type : Motacilla alpina
Accentor
Bechstein, 1802, type : Motacilla alpina

Bechstein 1802:
Scopoli S. collaris:

Accentor Bechstein, 1795, type : Sturnus cinclus
Accentor
Bechstein, 1797, type : Sturnus cinclus
Accentor
Bechstein, 1800, type : Motacilla alpina
Accentor
Bechstein, 1802, type : Motacilla alpina

Bechstein JM. [1797]. Getreue Abbildungen naturhistorischer Gegenstaende in Hinsicht auf Bechsteins kurzgefasste gemeinnützige Naturgeschichte des Inn- und Auslandes. Zweites Hundert. AG Schneider u. Weigel, Nürnberg.
p. 47: Bd.2 (1793) - Getreue Abbildungen naturhistorischer Gegenstände in Hinsicht auf Bechsteins kurzgefasste gemeinnützige Naturgeschichte des In- und Auslandes - Biodiversity Heritage Library
Type (monotypy) Accentor aquaticus Bechstein 1797 (in use as a ssp name).

Bechstein JM. 1800. Naturgeschichte der Stubenthiere. Vögel. Mit Abbildungen. Zweyte vermerhte und verbesserte Aüflage. CW Ettinger, Gotha.
p. 521 (footnote): Naturgeschichte der Stubenthiere - Biodiversity Heritage Library ; see also p. 360, where he adopted Cinclus for dipper: Naturgeschichte der Stubenthiere - Biodiversity Heritage Library
Type (monotypy) Motacilla alpina Gmelin 1789 (which may, or not, be a subsequent use of Motacilla alpina Picot de Lapeirouse 1782; syn. Sturnus collaris Scopoli 1769).

(Where did you find a reference to a 1795 introduction for dippers ? This would be somewhat problematic as it give the name unambiguous precedence over Cinclus Borkhausen 1797.)

Last edited:
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back