• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Product Review: The Opticron Savanna WP 8 x 30 (3 Viewers)

Hi William, good for you!

Would be interested to hear how you get on with it!

Ah don't worry, you can always blame me lol!

Regards,

Neil.
Hi Neil.

Yes I used a pair a few years back for a good couple of years but traded them in with a few other bits for some trinovid hd 10x42's but regretted it soon after. They are excellent though so thought I may as well grab one of the few remaining ones if there being discontinued.

Hi there, Iā€™m a fresh owner of the savannas and while the optics are nice, the materials used are quite frankly terrible. The eye cups leave my eyes sticky and after 5 minutes of using them my throat gets sore because of the bad rubber stink. My question is.. have you experienced those issues as well and did they improve in time? At the moment Iā€™m considering for a swap with the Kowa YFs which seem to be more refined

Hello Everyone,

Please find a link to my completed review of the Opticron Savanna WP 8 x 30 porro prism binocular.

I hope you find it informative!

With best wishes,

Neil.
I just bought a pair, I won't go into all the doo-dah and specs, these are cheap, Ā£109 I paid for mine, I have others, nothing too flashy or expensive.
These are NO match for their bigger brother, The HR WP and I didn't expect them to be, My 8x42 HR WP are astonishing regardless of price or Field of view which has never bothered me, I think some people get caught up in what they are looking through rather than what they are looking at.
These are Wonderfull for what they are, clear, bright, lightweight Bins at a price that all can afford, I will recommend these wholeheartedly, not just for kids or novices but for anybody who likes nature and is on a budget which is most of us these days.
If you can afford the Alphas then I will take my hat off to you, but I cannot and these will do nicely thank you very much.
Still somewhat new to this forum so all the best to everybody, and Happy birding to you all.
Opticron HR WP 8x42
" savanna wp8x30
Minox BL BR 10x42
Enbeeco 9x45 made by Ross
Hartman Optic porlerim 8x30, 70 years old and in perfect condition (I love these)

Last edited:
I think some people get caught up in what they are looking through rather than what they are looking at.
You are spot on. We certainly do get caught up in that. In fact, that could be considered the essence or definition of these optics forums.

A slogan:
"BF optics forums: Getting caught up in what we are looking through." šŸ˜‚

I find that what I am looking through has a huge effect on how much I enjoy looking at what I'm looking at. What I'm looking through is very important to me.

You are spot on. We certainly do get caught up in that. In fact, that could be considered the essence or definition of these optics forums.

A slogan:
"BF optics forums: Getting caught up in what we are looking through." šŸ˜‚

I find that what I am looking through has a huge effect on how much I enjoy looking at what I'm looking at. What I'm looking through is very important to me.
I could not agree more, however, I thought it was called "Birdforum" not "Binocularforum", For those plebs like myself who will never acquire and only aspire to the best binoculars we make do with what we can afford, Like the afore-mentioned Savanna 8x30, the build quality is OK, they ARE cheap, they are fussy about focus and eye placement, the eye cups work but are nasty, But the image for a Ā£100 bin is way better than I was expecting, better than my Minox 10x42.
The joy for me is seeing something I have never seen before or not seen for a while be it a bird or hare or deer.
All the better if you have quality Optics I will concede.
I suppose the photography analogy works here, "The best camera in the world is the one you have with you" each to their own I suppose.
Whatever you see, and whatever you use to see it, have a great day and happy birding to you All.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back