• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Possibly Eurasian Collared Dove? 4/25/2024. Morehead, North Carolina (1 Viewer)

African Collared-Dove technically cannot be ruled out yes, but in North Caroline that species is not known to occur. So this is (almost certainly) a Eurasian Collared-Dove.

It is if we believe ebird. There are several records for North Carolina:

Don't know about African Collared Dove, but Eurasian has spread / is spreading rapidly in the New World so I wouldn't rule either out.
African Collared-Dove is a common species in captivity and as such some individuals may occasionally escape, but that would be a rare occurrence. Compare that to Eurasian Collared-Dove which is a very common species all times of year through most of North Carolina.

I can't really follow the continuing widespread obsession with African collared dove. Every time that it does come up in these columns there never seems to be any evidence that it's of anything remotely like regular occurrence anywhere that's well beyond its natural range. Yes, there may well be some in captivity and, yes, a tiny number may conceivably escape - the same as with any captive bird. But where there is a widespread (and spreading) wild alternative, Eurasian collared dove, I don't see any point in identifying such birds as anything else.

I can't really follow the continuing widespread obsession with African collared dove. Every time that it does come up in these columns there never seems to be any evidence that it's of anything remotely like regular occurrence anywhere that's well beyond its natural range. Yes, there may well be some in captivity and, yes, a tiny number may conceivably escape - the same as with any captive bird. But where there is a widespread (and spreading) wild alternative, Eurasian collared dove, I don't see any point in identifying such birds as anything else.
There are a few locations in North America where African Collared-Dove does seem to have a persistent breeding population in low numbers. North Carolina is not of those places.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back