• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Porto birding (1 Viewer)

jforgham

Birding for fun
Hi,
Looking for a little guidance. Am off to Porto this coming Thursday until Sunday and have a few hours (1/2 day actually) spare. Any good birding areas within an hour of the city centre, either using bus or train? Will be spending a day in Braga, so if anyone knows of a suitable sight for something unusual, would be very appreciative of any advice.
Thanks in anticipation,
Jono

Hi,

I spent a few days in Porto this time of year a few years ago. Take your scope and Gull books! The mouth of the Douro River had huge numbers of Gulls - mostly LBB and Y-L, but plenty of others, some possible "cantabrica" and no doubt plenty of others that I couldn't ID (I was with non-birders and didn't have a scope - that's my excuse, ha ha!). There were also Grag Martins around the churches and towers in some nearby villages, and I got my life Black Redstart in a vinyard nearby. Otherwise, I didn't see anything you couldn't find in Bishops Stortford.

Many thanks

rb_stern said:
Hi,

I spent a few days in Porto this time of year a few years ago. Take your scope and Gull books! The mouth of the Douro River had huge numbers of Gulls - mostly LBB and Y-L, but plenty of others, some possible "cantabrica" and no doubt plenty of others that I couldn't ID (I was with non-birders and didn't have a scope - that's my excuse, ha ha!). There were also Grag Martins around the churches and towers in some nearby villages, and I got my life Black Redstart in a vinyard nearby. Otherwise, I didn't see anything you couldn't find in Bishops Stortford.

Hi Richard,
Thanks for replying. I have visited Oporto on several occasions on tour and have always found so many distractions ( ie port lodges and vino de instituto do porto) so consequently had little time for birding. Last time (2000) tour bus headed south for gig in Lisbon and spotted a large reedbed complex about 70 miles south of Porto, not far from station so may give that a go. Also, have to travel up to Braga so will have a wander around there, too. Seems to be a very underwatched part of western Europe, with most of the emphasis on Faro, Lisbon estuary and Setubal. Also inland Evora looks good. Will have to sort out a new itinerary next time to take these places in.
I like testing myself with gulls so will wander down to Douro estuary and see what's about. In UK at present, influx of laughing gulls with few forsters, courtesy of some winds in southern states, so maybe a few rarities. We also had first magnificant frigatebird found inland in UK last week. Unfortunately, although taken into care died the following morning. Another katrina/Rita or Wilma casualty.
However, thanks for the effort and I'll let you know any exciting findings. Do you visit this part of Europe often?
Jono

[QUOTE=jforgha

Hi,

I am originally English, and have relatives in Southport, near Bath, and Chorleywood, so I go over from time to time, and always try to get in some birding. I have only been to Portugal once, and that was a partly business trip - but again, of course, I tried to get in some birding.

Here in Nova Scotia we also had some Wilma- related strays, including Black Skimmers, Royal and Forsters Terns, and Mag. Frigatebirds. I guess some made it across the Atlantic.

Richard

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back