• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Portland Bill advice (1 Viewer)

senatore

I shortly hope to stay in Dorset and fellow birders have told me I must visit Portland Bill.
I have never visited this area and would like to know where the good spots are to do some birding.

MAX.

You don't mention if you are intending to move to Dorset or just visit.

Close to Portland Bill is Radipole & Lodmoor RSPB Reserves in Weymouth + the Fleet just outside with some good hills just behind the coeast with buzzards. Back east towards Poole is the Arne RSPB reserve and Studland (careful of the naked bathers, they don't like being scoped). North is the Somerset Levels. Slightly inland to the North West is Powerstiock Common. Directly West along the coast is Abbotsbury swannery and West Bexington - check the mere if not dried out should be lots of Reed and Sedge warblers, saw a grasshopper warbler there a few years back.

Check out Nina's posts for news espeically in East Dorset and "Birding the Nothe" (can't rember the website details)

In the words of the Yetties (Folk group from Dorset) Dorset is beautiful.
I'm glad my folks retired there so I have a good excuse to go regularly

Good luck - let us know how you get on.
Steve

passerine migrants tend to be around the bill area early on in day. Later birds have a tendency to move inland and be found more towards the northward edge of the isle e.g. at the verne or the quarries around portland hotel. I think I that in an easterly overflying migrants go up the west of the island and vice versa. If you are a non- pager person i've always found the people in the obs and at the visitors centre Radipole great for up to date info.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back