• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Portland and the Olympics (1 Viewer)

John Fordham

Hi all,
I'm hoping you can provide some advice.

On Friday (27th), I'm moving down in Dorset for a week - swapping houses with my brother and his family who have tickets for London Olympic events. Whilst there, I was hoping to spend at least a couple of days on the Bill, sea-watching but do not know, with the Weymouth events, whether I can get there sensibly. I've looked at the website

http://www.getaheadofthegames.com/travelinaffectedareas/city/weymouth.html

but can't make head or tail of restrictions that might affect access to Portland. Can anyone provide info - is it sensible to consider going to the Bill?

Many thanks

John

I believe this is the important bit of text - "Roads will be particularly busy before the start and at the end of sessions. If you have to travel by car, avoid travelling during the busiest periods from 10am-1pm and 4-8pm. However, Sailing times may vary depending on weather conditions, so travel may be affected later in the evenings."

The route to Portland will be affected - map here

looks like there are no road *closures* affecting access to portland, only stopping and waiting restrictions, BUT, it's going to be hellish busy, there is only one road on/off portland and even during a normal summer it can be a nightmare to get off the island and through weymouth. on the plus side getting there at the crack of dawn should be easy enough!!

good luck if you do take the plunge...
cheers,
James

Can you watch the Olympic events from the Bill? If so, it will be a nightmare. Otherwise you could be reasonably ok if traveling outside of the "peak hours"

Many thanks for the comments. I would certainly aim to get to the Bill early but the worry then would be getting back. I think I might give it a go one day and see how I get on.

Peter, if I understand your message, I think you have misunderstood my message - I have no real interest in watching Olympics but am interested in some sea-watching from the Bill.

Cheers
John

What I meant was: If people can watch the events from the Bill, then you will be sharing your seawatching perch with Olympic fans in their hundreds. If this is the case, then I'd keep well clear!

However, I just found this: http://www.visitweymouth.co.uk/downloadForms/Olympic-waters_schematic.pdf

So, looks like your actual seawatching should be undisturbed. It's your journey home that looks dodgy as mentioned in previous posts.

Let us know how you get on,
Peter

Last edited:
What I meant was: If people can watch the events from the Bill, then you will be sharing your seawatching perch with Olympic fans in their hundreds. If this is the case, then I'd keep well clear!

However, I just found this: http://www.visitweymouth.co.uk/downloadForms/Olympic-waters_schematic.pdf

So, looks like your actual seawatching should be undisturbed. It's your journey home that looks dodgy as mentioned in previous posts.

Let us know how you get on,
Peter

Many thanks for that, Peter. The map certainly gives one hope that both the birds and myself will not be (too) disturbed.

I hope the cafe at the Bill remains open for the period.:eat:

Cheers
John

Went to the Bill at 7am this morning, leaving at ~11am. No problems at all on the roads - shouldn't have worried but then again today is a day in advance of the olympic events so may be much worse tomorrow.

Had a great time sea-watching. Some of the species seen were Balearic & Manx Shearwater, Fulmar, Kittiwake, Common Scoter and Oystercatcher - all nice birds for a Londoner. Very few auks - I just saw 3 very distantly that couldn't ID.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back