• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Poll - Trying to get some numbers on Swarovski rubber armour issues. (1 Viewer)

Is your post-2010 Swarovski having problems with the rubber armour?

• EL - YES

Votes: 26 28.0%
  • EL (owned 1+ years) - NO

Votes: 34 36.6%
  • NL - YES

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • NL (owned 1+ years) - NO

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • Other - YES

Votes: 10 10.8%
  • Other - NO

Votes: 27 29.0%

• Total voters
This mirrors my experience almost exactly.

The issue with the focus wheel on mine, was simply that the external cover had detached so was not engaging to turn the wheel, it was just slipping over the wheel without turning it.

I had another issue in that the left, eye piece had detached, the whole thing just came out.

Anyway, long story short and as I wrote in another thread, about a month from start to finish, free repair and (unnecessary) replacement of external armour so after almost fifteen years of ownership with no issues, I just hope my 'bins' are not now covered in the inferior recipe.
Same thing with my focus knob. I was out at the beginning of November searching for a local Siberian Stonechat when I noticed that the focus knob cover was suddenly on the ground between my feet. I picked it up and put it back on as best I could. After a bit of poking on, it started to work, but only 'after a fashion' and it was prone to slipping, just like yours. I got in touch with Swaro, but they said that because of 'difficulties' they wouldn't be returning any repair until sometime in the 'first quarter of 2023', when there was still just short of 2 months of 2022 to run. I didn't fancy that wait, and just soldiered on with them, but they were very hit and miss.

One day in June, the focus just stopped working altogether. The knob was slipping around and I was trying to get it to engage, when it just seized up altogether - wouldn't turn at all - so I was left with no alternative than to bite the bullet and send them off.

They replaced the armour this time without being asked, but whether the armouring actually needed replacing or not, I just wouldn't like to say. It was replaced in 2019 after it fell to bits. Then early 2020 Covid cramped the birding altogether and even since we've been allowed back out, I've been out much less than I used to be (not because of any fear of covid - other reasons) and I'm more inclined to used my camera than my bins, and sometimes I've been out without taking them at all. The upshot is that they've had hardly any use since the armour was replaced in late 2019, but I've had a suspicion this spring that they were maybe just starting to feel a bit loose around the edges of the eagle symbol on the right barrel and the Swarovski wording on the left barrel. I was leaving them to see what developed on that front, when I was overtaken by events.

I'm keeping an eye on developments going forward.

Last edited:
Same thing with my focus knob. I was out at the beginning of November searching for a local Siberian Stonechat when I noticed that the focus knob cover was suddenly on the ground between my feet. I picked it up and put it back on as best I could. After a bit of poking on, it started to work, but only 'after a fashion' and it was prone to slipping, just like yours. I got in touch with Swaro, but they said that because of 'difficulties' they wouldn't be returning any repair until sometime in the 'first quarter of 2023', when there was still just short of 2 months of 2022 to run. I didn't fancy that wait, and just soldiered on with them, but they were very hit and miss.

One day in June, the focus just stopped working altogether. The knob was slipping around and I was trying to get it to engage, when it just seized up altogether - wouldn't turn at all - so I was left with no alternative than to bite the bullet and send them off.

They replaced the armour this time without being asked, but whether the armouring actually needed replacing or not, I just wouldn't like to say. It was replaced in 2019 after it fell to bits. Then early 2020 Covid cramped the birding altogether and even since we've been allowed back out, I've been out much less than I used to be (not because of any fear of covid - other reasons) and I'm more inclined to used my camera than my bins, and sometimes I've been out without taking them at all. The upshot is that they've had hardly any use since the armour was replaced in late 2019, but I've had a suspicion this spring that they were maybe just starting to feel a bit loose around the edges of the eagle symbol on the right barrel and the Swarovski wording on the left barrel. I was leaving them to see what developed on that front, when I was overtaken by events.

I'm keeping an eye on developments going forward.
I think that, when the binoculars have to be opened for repair, the good old armor gets damaged during opening and requires a new one anyway. They replace the good old armor because when it is dismantled it breaks or becomes irreparably damaged. Maybe this is the explanation of change of the armor at each intervention inside the binoculars. The problem now is that the armor it is replaced with one new but with a technical design flaw.

I think that, when the binoculars have to be opened for repair, the good old armor gets damaged during opening and requires a new one anyway. They replace the good old armor because when it is dismantled it breaks or becomes irreparably damaged. Maybe this is the explanation of change of the armor at each intervention inside the binoculars. The problem now is that the armor it is replaced with one new but with a technical design flaw.
Exactly.

Documenting my example.

Manufactured in 2019. Purchased in Aug 2020. Carefully used on weekends mostly in city parks. Stored in humidity-controlled dry cabinet. Definitely not abuse, neglect, heavy/intensive/professional use.

Rubber started degrading around 2022. Became tacky to touch (especially after wiping/washing with soap as Swarovski directed), easily scuffed from contact with fingernails. Eventually started breaking off at areas with most hand contact. Then spread to other parts of the binos

First pic in Jan 2023
2nd pic in Jun 2023
Any contact with bug spray involved?

That's what I thought would be the case. I just wasn't sure if my casing was starting to deteriorate before it was sent off. I suspected it was, but now I'll never know. :)

As I've repeatedly said in these threads, my use of DEET or other bug sprays is minimal - I tend not to go where they are needed, otherwise I put up with the odd bite I might get. I only use them a handful of times each year, and when I do, I apply it before I leave the house at the beginning of the day and I wash my hands immediately afterwards. The cameras and lenses I carry with me at all times cost a lot more than my Swaros, and I'm not taking risks with any of my gear.

Also, although I realise it's a very unfashionable thing to say these days, I don't use sun-creams. I wear a hat, cover up, I or stand under a tree if needed.

I don't live anywhere hot and sweaty. Far from it. I live on the same latitude as Denmark. I take trips to Spain for spring and autumn migration, when my gear is not left in the sun, and maybe the odd week in the winter too.

In short my binoculars, cameras and expensive lenses aren't exposed to chemicals, unavoidable heat, or high humidity. I'm also in possession of a written admission from Swarovski that they are using biodegradable plastic for their armour.

I also don't have sweaty palms and even if I did, I'm not in the habit of holding my binoculars in my hands for long periods. That's what the neck strap is for!

Here an interested vid' where we see this op. at Swarovski (2:07) ;)

swaro.JPG

The poll allows you to select multiple answers to let those with more than one model of binocular to respond.
I'm not sure that really answers the second question, and I suppose the poll just isn't structured to address the first, what is the problem rate. So here's a quick calculation of that, as of today's numbers:
EL - 26% (9/34) - quite shocking really
NL - 12% (2/17)
Other - 14% (3/22)
(and once again the poll does not allow reporting of multiple examples of one category, like my 3 SLCs)

Last edited:
My 10x42 NL is about two years old and I can see light wear on the armour already. No cracks yet. No daily use but let's say days in weekends and some birding trips abroad. No DEET ever or other chemicals. For now I watch and see how this evolves. Hopefully Swarovski steps out of this biogradable shit. Why not using good thin rubber, Swarovski? Swaro owners have their binos for decades so it is not that we really encumber nature with it if you use rubber armour and the rubber would be recycable anyway. swaro 1.jpgswaro 2.jpg

My 10x42 NL is about two years old and I can see light wear on the armour already. No cracks yet. No daily use but let's say days in weekends and some birding trips abroad. No DEET ever or other chemicals. For now I watch and see how this evolves. Hopefully Swarovski steps out of this biogradable shit. Why not using good thin rubber, Swarovski? Swaro owners have their binos for decades so it is not that we really encumber nature with it if you use rubber armour and the rubber would be recycable anyway. View attachment 1530787View attachment 1530789
This is becoming quite a conundrum. The confusing part of this whole thing, is not only that when you buy an expensive high end Swarovski binocular, and that you expect quality all around, but you expect even by appearances the binoculars to be quite durable and tough. Surprise, surprise.

Hi, I don’t want to hijack this thread but has anyone had a solution to stop the slight tackiness the armour goes after a few years? Ie chalk dust possibly?
My EL8x32FP are just starting to get tacky but no wear on the armour as of yet, when they get bad I will send them in for repair, I have a upcoming trip to Sri Lanka in a month I need them for first.

Hi, I don’t want to hijack this thread but has anyone had a solution to stop the slight tackiness the armour goes after a few years? Ie chalk dust possibly?
My EL8x32FP are just starting to get tacky but no wear on the armour as of yet, when they get bad I will send them in for repair, I have a upcoming trip to Sri Lanka in a month I need them for first.
I haven’t had a problem with any of the Swaros that I have, but since all this crap with cracking and peeling armor I now , after every few uses take a little warm distilled water with a few drops of dish soap , dampen a lint free cloth and lightly wipe them do, then wipe them down with just the water, then pat dry. I then leave them out on a shelf in an air conditioned room , or in winter with heat on. They dont show any signs of tacking up. Good luck.

Paul

I bought a pair of 8x32 Swarovisions when they first came out (about 2010?). They have served me well with NO problems up until this year, when I took them to Turkey and Cyprus. The rubber armor seemed to become tacky to the touch, bubbled, and began peeling. Sent them off to SONA for repair when I arrived home. They returned about 6 weeks later fixed. So, good service, yes, but this should not be happening.

Swarovski EL SV 8x32 armor suddenly becomes sticky, even if the binoculars was used by my friend with exactly the same care as the other binoculars that he have. The other binoculars of different brands are flawless even if they were used in the same conditions (ph sweat, storage and use temperatures, climate etc)...
Swarovski EL 8x32 quality it is far below expectations for the price of such so good optics binoculars! Disappointing! The cracks started to appear!
I'm happy that Habicht doesn't have this nasty problem!
armour Swarovski issue.JPG
The binoculars in appearance it is like new, only that all the armor has become sticky and only in the area in the picture it has cracked. And the cracks are growing! 😲

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply’s my initial idea is to use some scapa cloth tape to cure the stickiness.
I wanted them to be a little worse before I send them in for repair, I fear that may happen quickly after my upcoming trip to Sri Lanka 🙂

Attachments

• IMG_7398.jpeg
    IMG_7398.jpeg
    536 KB · Views: 5
Swarovski EL SV 8x32 armor suddenly becomes sticky, even if the binoculars was used by my friend with exactly the same care as the other binoculars that he have. The other binoculars of different brands are flawless even if they were used in the same conditions (ph sweat, storage and use temperatures, climate etc)...
Swarovski EL 8x32 quality it is far below expectations for the price of such so good optics binoculars! Disappointing! The cracks started to appear!
View attachment 1531519
The binoculars in appearance it is like new, only that all the armor has become sticky and only in the area in the picture it has cracked. And the cracks are growing! 😲
Funny thing, a few years back before I bought my first Swarovski binoculars, I always used to read the reviews and look at all the pictures online, and thinking to myself for the price you would think it would have a more elegant outer covering. But my thought process was that Swarovski is making the binoculars to last and this rubberized armor material is part of why we spend over $2000 for them. Fast forward a few years and it’s direct apposite, the material is not good and it doesn’t hold up in a lot of examples, and I’m pretty sure it’s not due to humidity and bug spray. Now every time I take out my Swaros, it’s on my mind and I’m always checking to see if the armor is starting to degrade.

I know Swarovski is a great company and has great customer support, and I have no doubt that they will stand behind it and will take care of it. Other than the hassle of having to send them in and wait for them to come back, is the fact that this has been going on for quite some time now, and this is something that should’ not be taking ten years to rectify. This should not be happening with one of the best binoculars in the world, if not the best.

Paul

View attachment 1531519
I agree with your account. Mine became sticky and a little loose feeling; then one day a crack appeared. It wasn't there the day before. I hadn't heard about this problem until then. Since repaired with probably the same duff armour.....will probably need repairing again in two or three years. Not good enough on less than 5 year old bins that I expected to last a lifetime.

But it's bio-degradeable! Too bad the zillion tons of plastic washing up on the beach isn't?

Warning! This bin will self destruct in 5-4-3.........................

Users who are viewing this thread

Back