• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Poland in May (1 Viewer)

Suffolkringer

Inland birding is hard work!!
Hi all

I am hoping to go to Poland in May. Is this the best time?

I am just trying to find things out at the moment, but I am people might be able to make some suggestions to me.

1) How easy is it to make your way around etc without going on a guided holiday? Or are there any english speaking guides who do day trips etc?

2) Where and when is best to visit in Poland? North, South, East, West? I am saying May because I assume that this will be the best time?

3) What locations are good to stay in etc? Any good hotels etc?

4) I am particularly keen on some visiting the wetlands? What species do they get other than WWBT and Great Snipe? I want to visit the wetlands before they are all drained for agriculture with the helpful EU subsides!

Hope people can help me.

All the best
Jon

Hi all

I am hoping to go to Poland in May. Is this the best time?
1) How easy is it to make your way around etc without going on a guided holiday? Or are there any english speaking guides who do day trips etc?
2) Where and when is best to visit in Poland? North, South, East, West? I am saying May because I assume that this will be the best time?
3) What locations are good to stay in etc? Any good hotels etc?
4) I am particularly keen on some visiting the wetlands? What species do they get other than WWBT and Great Snipe? I want to visit the wetlands before they are all drained for agriculture with the helpful EU subsides!

Yes,
1) easy, yes but must be booked in advance.
2) east or north-east, yes
3) lots
4) over 200 in total.

If you just want to have a great time, you don't need a guide and there loads of good reports on the web.

But if you want to clean-up, then for some of the tricky species getting a guide may save you some heartache.

Week 1 May is best for Ruff etc. But again if you want to clean-up, you need to wait until week 3 for things like River Warbler, R B Flycatchers, Aquatic Warbler to be in good numbers.

Hello,

I was only in Wartha river mouth national parc.
Even there was still snow in march ( 2006 ), there was a lot of geese ( it said 70.000 ), ducks, 7 x White-tailed Eagles and so on.
The access was easy, because is just over the border, only 70 - 80 km from Berlin.
Main migration time in spring is between middle of april until begin of May.

Around Berlin the agriculture is not so strong like in the south of Germany.
So it is possible to find different birds everywhere ( not only in hotspots ).
The people cut down the gras not everywhere like in the south and makes whole away in gravel roads and so on.
So there are much more possibilities for birds to find insects, seeds and so on.
I suppose in Poland it is rather similar to Berlin than south of Germany ?

Best regards
Dieter

Don't know when to go to Poland?

March is simply the best time ever for all the woodpeckers (white-backed, three-toed, grey-headed, black etc). Still some waxwings, redpolls, twites;

April - for woodpeckers, owls (pygmy, tengmalms) and April adds plenty of all kinds of migrating ducks, geese, waterfowls and raptors;

May has all of the above (but a bit worse for woodpeckers) plus corncrakes, displaying ruffs and great snipes on the lek! And second half of May brings 'late comers' like warblers (especially aquatic, river and barred), flycatchers (collared and red-breasted), marshy terns, bee eaters, rollers etc.

June is still quite good (best for crakes and terns) but you probably will miss lekking great snipes and woodpeckers are hardly visible, because of dense vegetation at this time.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back