• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pocket Scope (1 Viewer)

ticl2184

Heard some interesting mutterings about a potential pocket spotting scope being previewed in September or October this year.

Has anyone else heard anything similar?

Cheers Tim

Attachments

• 20220826_140232.jpg
    20220826_140232.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 64
Heard some interesting mutterings about a potential pocket spotting scope being previewed in September or October this year.

Has anyone else heard anything similar?

Cheers Tim

Yes,

The "mockup photo" looks more like something pre-fieldpro/NL though...with the name on the barrel.
Possibly a fake...
But maybe Swaro have a lot of unsold 10x50 EL SV in stock they intend to split in two?

A high-quality 15-20x50mm with IS would be perfect.

Also some FB post on "new swaro concept" have been discussed earlier.
Perhaps new SLC binoculars.

Both would be less likely?

Last edited:
interested... maybe some lower tech version of their thermal monocular( tM 35 ), and another swing at their little camera monocular that, I think, may have done poorly.

Looks like it's coming in October!

ATC/STC

Nice!

17-40x56mm
62-34 m/1000m
970-980 grams
1820 £

Helical focuser is a bit unexpected ...
NO IS/VR.

More specs:

Exit pupil diameter
3.4-1.4 mm

Eye relief
20 mm

Field of view degrees
3.52-1.93 °

Field of view apparent
57-71 °

Shortest focusing distance
3.4 m

Diopter correction at ∞
5 dpt

Light transmission
88 %

Last edited:
Less than 1kg and less than £2000
I might have to go to my local Swarovski dealer and take a look.
Absolutely no intention of buying one but interested in taking a look.

Interesting little scope. Not quite in the same size/weight class as the Nikon ED50 though. I personally would have preferred a scope with a less complex eyepiece, maybe a fixed 25x WA, to keep the weight down a bit more. And maybe a 50mm objective lens instead of the 56mm.

Still, that's an interesting scope. Seems to have a fast focal ratio, so it remains to be seen if Swarovski can make them to a consistent standard. I'll certainly have a look at it.

BTW, showing people use that scope handheld without any support on the website ... What a joke. How much detail will you get using a short scope handheld? Even at 17x?

Hermann

I guess Swaro intend to eat the Kowa 553 etc. for breakfast. :whistle:
I am very curious about the upcoming verdicts here.
This scope is 400-500 € more expensive than a Kowa 55x. it is about 150 g heavier. Has almost same objective diameter (55/56mm), but less maximal magnification (17-40 compared to 15-45). Length seems to be very similar (Kowa TSN-554 = 290mm, ATC17-40 = 285mm). Looks like it has a fixed (zoom-)eyepiece as well (a "no-no-no" for many). Is the case material known (plastic/metal)?
At least then, looking at the price, it should optically outperform the Kowa in relevant properties, shouldn't it?

Addendum: Filed of view seems quite better (looking on both specs). That was one point of criticism about the 55x EP.

Last edited:
I now feel an alpha pocket scope will never be made. This pricing is clearly to protect the larger scopes.

A pocket scope would eat into their binocular market.

A VR/IS pocket scope even less likely, as it would eat both the bino and larger scope market.

Time for me to move on from the dream sadly.

Interesting little scope. Not quite in the same size/weight class as the Nikon ED50 though. I personally would have preferred a scope with a less complex eyepiece, maybe a fixed 25x WA, to keep the weight down a bit more. And maybe a 50mm objective lens instead of the 56mm.

BTW, showing people use that scope handheld without any support on the website ... What a joke. How much detail will you get using a short scope handheld? Even at 17x?

Hermann

Less complexity is sadly counterproductive to price and thus profit.

I am very curious about the upcoming verdicts here.
This scope is 400-500 € more expensive than a Kowa 55x. it is about 150 g heavier. Has almost same objective diameter (55/56mm), but less maximal magnification (17-40 compared to 15-45). Length seems to be very similar (Kowa TSN-554 = 290mm, ATC17-40 = 285mm). Looks like it has a fixed (zoom-)eyepiece as well (a "no-no-no" for many). Is the case material known (plastic/metal)?
At least then, looking at the price, it should optically outperform the Kowa in relevant properties, shouldn't it?

Addendum: Filed of view seems quite better (looking on both specs). That was one point of criticism about the 55x EP.

"fixed zoom" EP is no problem if the eye relief, AFOV/FOV is similar to a "fixed mag" EP.

The exit pupil size is pretty good at 17x as well, for usage in darker conditions.

The question is if it will be worth carrying/enough useful, without a tripod.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back