• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Plectropterus (1 Viewer)

gusasp

Hi there! Trying to figure out the phylogenetic position of the Spur-winged Goose, but can't seem to find any molecular studies.

On morphological grounds, Del Hoyo et. al. 1992 has it in Cairini in Anatinae, Livezey 1997 in a tribe with Sarkidiornis in Tadorninae (but in Livezey 1987 in its own subfamily) and in Anserini (inkluded in Anatinae) in Sibley & Ahlquist 1990.

John Boyd puts it on a very basal branch, in a polytomy with Stictonetta, Anserinae and Anatinae (leaving only Dendrocygna+Thalassornis outside), but I can't find the source.

Surely it must have been sampled? What have I missed?

The only sequence for this species in GenBank is of hemoglobin alpha A subunit, and is part of the data set of McCracken et al 2009 https://www.researchgate.net/publication/26812372 . Thus it is presumably one of the unlabelled branches in the left tree in Fig. 2 of this paper...

When I analysed it separately in the past, this gene placed Plectropterus in Anatinae (sensu H&M4), sister to Pteronetta with reasonable support, but with the position of this pair within Anatinae being extremely poorly resolved.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back