• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Places to go on Anglesey (1 Viewer)

Seamoor

Can any one help I will be spending the last week of July around the Anglesey area. Anyone got suggestions for good bird watching and photography

Thanks

Seamoor said:
Can any one help I will be spending the last week of July around the Anglesey area. Anyone got suggestions for good bird watching and photography

Thanks

Hi Seamoor,

If you can get a copy of this months Birdwatch magazine there is an article about Anglesey and where to watch birds. It talks about a variety if sites close to one another that will enable you to see up to one hundred species without to much effort!!

Cheers

Dean

Cheadle Birder

Last edited:
Seamoor said:
Thanks for that will try to get one tomorrow

Hi Seamoor,

Another option is to get a copy of Where to Watch Birds in Wales by David Saunders (Helm publication). This book would be very helpful to you and you may want to get an OS map to help you such as 1:25000 scale.

Cheers

Dean

Cheadle Birder

Dean Powell said:
Hi Seamoor,

Another option is to get a copy of Where to Watch Birds in Wales by David Saunders (Helm publication). This book would be very helpful to you and you may want to get an OS map to help you such as 1:25000 scale.

Cheers

Dean

Cheadle Birder

If you can make RSPB South Stack in June then I can say hello as me and the Mrs are spending a week volunteering there.

Where to watch bird book

Dean Powell said:
Hi Seamoor,

Cheers

Dean

Cheadle Birder

Thanks for that, we have had the book on order from Amazon since October last year, and they say it is out of print. Any ideas as to where I can obtain this book

Thanks

Seamoor

Visiting South Stack

paulwfromtheden said:
If you can make RSPB South Stack in June then I can say hello as me and the Mrs are spending a week volunteering there.

We were at South Stack in October, bit windy. Would like to take Photographs when would you say is the best time to be there

Thanks

Seamoor

Seamoor said:
Thanks for that, we have had the book on order from Amazon since October last year, and they say it is out of print. Any ideas as to where I can obtain this book

Thanks

Seamoor

I got my copy from the shop at Martin Mere WWT.

Try www.wildsounds.com

South Stack is a must for Chough and a stunning place.

Good luck.

Seamoor said:
We were at South Stack in October, bit windy. Would like to take Photographs when would you say is the best time to be there

Thanks

Seamoor

Not sure as I have not been there before, we are actually going last week in May...Hopefully the seabirds will be nesting by then.

Hi Seamoor,

It looks like the book is in fact out of print and will be published again 20/04/2008. There may still be the previous book out there. I'll PM you as I know where there may be a copy still in stock at a magic little independant book shop I know.

Cheers

Dean

Seamoor said:

Thanks

hi seamoor went south stack in june last year got there early good views of the resident choughs,hooded crows and seabird colinies look into the sea near the rspb centre for puffin loads of pippits and stonechats on the heather also worth trying on the north of anglesey is cemlyn bay search the forum for info good for little terns i belive well worth a visit

Dean Powell said:
Hi Seamoor,

It looks like the book is in fact out of print and will be published again 20/04/2008. There may still be the previous book out there. I'll PM you as I know where there may be a copy still in stock at a magic little independant book shop I know.

Cheers

Dean

I bet that book shop is in Leek. I bet they have it there.

Ynys Llanddwyn

Seamoor said:

Thanks

One of the best places in the world. Ynys llanddwyn west of the island. Fabulous place for photography and good for waders. Reminds me alot of Pembrokeshire. Look at the tide times because it is an island and cut off at high tide. Also no dogs allowed on the island.On our third try we walked over at low tide minus Topsy!

All the best Dryslwyn

Last edited:
As the man said-I would recommend Ynys Llanddwyn -especially for photography. Holyhead harbour can be good, I go there every 3 weeks and walk the harbour wall from the museum to the end (about 6 miles there & back). Last week-end it was slow but we still saw Mergansers, Black Guillimots, Ringed Plovers plus the usual Shags & cormorants. I have been told you can get a boat trip to Puffin Island which gets you up close to the Puffins for photographing-we are going to try it this year.
I have tried to attach a photo of some Oyster Catchers along the harbour wall from last week-end.

Attachments

• Oyster Catchers.jpg
    Oyster Catchers.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 155
David Smith said:
As the man said-I would recommend Ynys Llanddwyn -especially for photography. Holyhead harbour can be good, I go there every 3 weeks and walk the harbour wall from the museum to the end (about 6 miles there & back). Last week-end it was slow but we still saw Mergansers, Black Guillimots, Ringed Plovers plus the usual Shags & cormorants. I have been told you can get a boat trip to Puffin Island which gets you up close to the Puffins for photographing-we are going to try it this year.
I have tried to attach a photo of some Oyster Catchers along the harbour wall from last week-end.

I'm not a man!

dryslwyn said:
One of the best places in the world. Ynys llanddwyn west of the island. Fabulous place for photography and good for waders. Reminds me alot of Pembrokeshire. Look at the tide times because it is an island and cut off at high tide. Also no dogs allowed on the island.On our third try we walked over at low tide minus Topsy!

All the best Dryslwyn

Can you please give me a little bit of a pointer to whereabouts on Anglesey this is please. My autoroute does not find it and it does not appear on any of the ordinary road maps that I have. It would be much appreciated.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back