• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pine Flycatcher (1 Viewer)

Richard Klim

-------------------------
Andrew Spencer, Earbirding.com, 31 Aug 2015: Ever heard of Pine Flycatcher?
... Finally, there has been quite a bit of talk about a potential split of Pine Flycatcher involving differences in birds found north and south of the Isthmus of Tehuantepec. The reasoning given is that the populations found on either side of the Isthmus have notably different songs. While there aren’t a whole lot of recordings of the full song of birds found south of Oaxaca, the ones that I have been able to find (such as this one by Kathi Borgmann, and one kindly sent to me by Knut Eisermann) are disappointingly similar to the birds I’ve heard from further north. While there do appear to be some minor differences in one of the phrases, it is perhaps more on par with differences among populations of Willow Flycatcher currently considered subspecies rather than the differences found between most full-fledged Empid species. However, that is a conclusion drawn from only two recordings. I’m quite willing to change my mind if someone goes out and gets a larger sample size showing a more profound difference!
Farnsworth & Lebbin 2004 (HBW 9).
Vocal differences between populations N & S of Isthmus of Tehuantepec suggest to some that more than one species may be involved.

... In N & C Mexico song consists of 2–4 phrases, "prrp, p-wiet, chit p-p-p-reer" or "p-rip, p-rip, p'rr-ree", also gives fast alarm trill "dri-i-irr" and "chu-wik" call; song in Chiapas different, "chri-k whee-u', chik-wheer" or "cheenk, cheenk, t-weeree".

Last edited:
Farnsworth & Lebbin 2004 (HBW 9).
Quote:
Vocal differences between populations N & S of Isthmus of Tehuantepec suggest to some that more than one species may be involved.

... In N & C Mexico song consists of 2–4 phrases, "prrp, p-wiet, chit p-p-p-reer" or "p-rip, p-rip, p'rr-ree", also gives fast alarm trill "dri-i-irr" and "chu-wik" call; song in Chiapas different, "chri-k whee-u', chik-wheer" or "cheenk, cheenk, t-weeree".

I probably should have written more about this in the blog, though the taxonomic aspects of Pine Flycatcher were not the main purpose of the posting. The vocalization referenced by Farnsworth & Lebbin appear to be the "du-hic-type" call that I mention in the blog, NOT the song. There are several recordings of what is clearly the song and it does not vary terribly much. To my knowledge, there are not yet any recordings of the alternative call from northern Pine Flycatchers, but I highly suspect that merely reflects how little recorded the species is rather than true difference.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back