• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Picture in gallery, Cuban Crow or Cuban Palm Crow (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
The id of this photo has been brought forward as a possible mis-id:
I have no personal experience so ask for input here.
Niels

I struggled with this, during our recent visit. Although it is said that sound is the definitive way to tell them apart, the Cuban also appears to have a larger (almost Raven like) beak. It would also help to know region where it was seen.

That said, I would opine that this a Cuban Crow, based on photo (beak primarily). ymmv!

I originally raised this. I think it's Cuban for 2 reasons:
  • apparent size/length of bill (long)
  • Only a small, short fringe of nasal hairs along the culmen.
(Comments in the gallery suggest that Cuban is never found on the ground (as here). I think that's unlikely.)

The beak just looks very large and 'matches' what I'm seeing in guides and other photographic depictions.
But I am not an expert and suggest review by someone who has seen lots of these birds ;-)

A quick Google search reveals ymmv " used, for example on social media and in text messages and emails, to mean that you understand people may have a different opinion or experience to yours: "
Yes, sorry I misunderstood question... As explained above, ymmv is merely a shorthand way of saying 'it's just my opinion and you may differ, get different results,...' etc. I thought the questioning was related to bird ID :-}

I have now heard back from Nils Navarro in Cuba, and he writes:
Based on this photo, it is definitely a Cuban Palm Crow. One key distinguishing feature is the bill gap, which extends just to the rear of the face, whereas in the Cuban Crow, it extends behind the eyes.
So a brand new field mark. I have not checked it against online photos, maybe tonight.
Niels

I looked at the signature photos at eBird, and it was good for every one of those
I guess you mean photos of palm crow? I should actually be far more interested to have confirmed the other aspect of this (indeed, it's necessary to confirm it in order to confirm that this feature works), viz. that Cuban crow's gape is much longer and does extend back behind the eye - which seems extraordinarily long for a crow; and, importantly, that it can readily be seen to do so in photos/in the field - otherwise, the feature doesn't work. (Sorry - being lazy - I could check this myself but haven't.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back