• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Photoshop Elements (1 Viewer)

Dave Smith

United Kingdom
I have PE version 1.01 provided with my CP4500.

When an image is loaded and I try <Enhance><Brightness/Contrast><Levels> the screen is familiar to me from using PaintshopPro BUT the levels screen is totally black. Apart from this all other things seem to work. HELP !!

I can see the histogram by going to <Image><Histogram> but cannot change anything from that screen.

A separate question on PE. Is it worth getting version 2.0 ?
I cannot find anywhere the differences between version 1.01 and 2.0.

Dave

Have you had a 'crash' whilst using Elements? If so, it may be possible that you've lost a file from the programme, in which case you'll have to re-install.

When I bought my Coolpix 995 there was a copy of Photoshop LE (Light Edition) included. I never used it as I got hold of a copy of the full Photoshop, but I believe that some features were disabled. I'm not sure which features were not available, but maybe this is what is wrong with yours.

Probably a ruse to get you to upgrade to the full version.

Thanks Adey, no I haven't had a crash and I have tried re-installing it.

Diane, that feature in the Light Edition did work. The main problem with LE is there is only one undo. I don't think that is the reason. I now suspect there must be another program or file on my computer that is interfering with it.

Thanks anyway.

Dave

I have now tried out PS Elements on my old computer and it works fine on there. So it must be something on my newer (but still old) computer that it doesn't like. I've tried removing some programs, disabling the virus checker and fire-wall as well as giving the hard drive a go with Norton Disc Doctor.
All to no avail :-(

Dave

Not too sure if it's a fragmentation problem.

Is everything else working OK? Are other graphic-intensive applications working OK?

I would try updating the graphics card driver.

Thanks everyone for their suggestions.

Diane came the closest by suggesting it was to do with the graphics card.

After searching through thousands of queries in the Adobe knowledge base the solution turned out to be to change the colour setting to True Colour (32 bit). It now works a treat.:t:

I also found many answers to my other question which was about the differences between version 1.0 and 2.0. For the time being there is no need for me to upgrade.

Again many thanks. B :)

Dave

Last edited:
I always liked PS5LE... Elements v1 doesn't have the quickmask facility to quickly make accurate selections with a brush, I think Elements v2 does have quickmask.
Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back