• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Phonescoping - Blurry spot in all photos - Advice (2 Viewers)

Ian Byrnes

Over the last 2 weeks a conspicuous blurred spot is appearing in all of my photos.

I use a Samsung S9 Plus (12MP) on a PhoneSkope attachment to a Zeiss Diascope 85T*FL...20-75.

To try and remedy the problem I have thoroughly cleaned all lenses on both the scope and camera, to no avail. I have tried different picture sizes, speeds, aperture settings lighting, zoom settings etc but again have not solved the problem. There are no scratches or marks on the glass and I have examined the interior of the scope and zoom with a torch....and it's as clean as a whistle. I have taken photos without the scope and the blurriness goes so feel it must be the zoom lens.

The only thing I can think of is that water has entered the lens when i was caught in a downpour a few weeks back. But...the lens should be waterproof.

Below are a few pics to demonstrate. The blurry area is to the left above each subject and is worse in higher zoom.

Has any one experienced this and is there a resolution.....your help would be appreciated?

imgonline-com-ua-resize-O5I2nnrviR8gyiHZ.jpg imgonline-com-ua-resize-5pyzD6Tw4CsF.jpg imgonline-com-ua-resize-uUzgEzZlAFg.jpg

Last edited:
Ian! Long time! Just popped on to look around and saw your thread.

It might have been a different issue, I guess, but I had something similar with my Samsung a few months back. I started a thread about it. I ended up returning the phone, and they replaced it. Warranty issue.

I will try and find the thread to link it here.

Hi Scott

Yes saw your thread.....different problem I think.

I've gone to great lengths to resolve this and have eventually, to my cost.

Zeiss/Gary...Zeiss UK service centre were brilliant. Sent my zoom eyepiece to him ...3 weeks later got a brand new ( or recon. but looks new) from Zeiss Germany, which is better than the original which had oil droplets/dust on the lens. It really is very sharp now.

As for Samsung.... I bought my Galaxy S9+ new from a dealer on ebay, fully boxed at £400. I realised after checking everything that it was the phone at high zoom that was creating a blurr spot. After speaking to Samsung they arranged for a team to come to my home to repair or replace the phone then a day before coming advised that my phone didn't fit the UK warranty criteria so got neither.

I ended up trading the phone back to Samsung for £250 and buying a new S10 for £800.

After all of that though, the phone camera and new zoom work so well that I have become one of the Twitterista and display on Twitter....!!! And me a TECHNOPHOBE !

Take care...Scott.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back