• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pheasant ID? (1 Viewer)

Adey Baker

Any ideas on this darkly attractive Pheasant - more compact in size than Common Pheasant.Coming to a feeder on woodland edge this morning.

Weather very gloomy at the time, still raining. Exposure was only 1/50th sec at F5.6 even with ISO 1600. I was leaning on the car's window frame to get steady exposure and couldn't frame it any differently to get more of the bird in (most of it was behind a fence post, anyway!

TIA

Attachments

• pheasant-sp-ap-1-2006-1.jpg
    pheasant-sp-ap-1-2006-1.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 170
That's a female melanistic Common Pheasant - dark form of a Common Pheasant. I see them quite a lot, the males are lovely too. =)

White*Kite said:
That's a female melanistic Common Pheasant - dark form of a Common Pheasant. I see them quite a lot, the males are lovely too. =)

Thanks White*Kite - I found it difficult to decipher from a couple of my books whether the melanistic form was actually smaller than 'normal' forms (and the 'old' Collins fieldguide does the usual trick of half-hiding the female behind the male!)

I've noticed that too with the Collins guide! Pheasants can be quite variable in size anyway, and I must admit that a couple of the female melanistic ones I've seen have been a little smaller than the 'normal' ones they were associating with. However I've also seen many birds around the same size.

Beautiful photo btw! =)

I think mine was within the size range quoted, being at the lower end. It was a really attractive bird, even in the gloomy conditions of yesterday morning before the sun decided to shine.

When I was a lad in the 1950s, one of the things that got me interested in wildlife was finding a Pheasant (and its nest) from the other end of the spectrum, a pure white one - coincidentally, the field in which I found it is exactly the same one in which I photographed a male Pheasant this morning, which I've just uploaded into the gallery: http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showphoto.php/photo/87086/sort/1/size/medium/cat/500/page/1

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back