• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Periparus (1 Viewer)

Gonçalo Elias

avesdeportugal.info
Portugal
I am a bit confused about the meaning of the name Periparus.

According to The Key, "Peri" comes from the greek and means very or around, while "Parus" is tit in Latin.

So Periparus would mean something like "very tit" or "around tit"? Does not sound very logical. What am I missing here?

By the way, this is a rather rare example of a name that is half Greek, half Latin.

I am a bit confused about the meaning of the name Periparus.

According to The Key, "Peri" comes from the greek and means very or around, while "Parus" is tit in Latin.

So Periparus would mean something like "very tit" or "around tit"? Does not sound very logical. What am I missing here?

By the way, this is a rather rare example of a name that is half Greek, half Latin.
Gonçalo, I would read Periparus as: "very (close to) Parus", alt. "(in) around [alt. near] Parus", or likewise, which, in my (Swedish) mind is both logical and makes sense.

Remember, when Selys-Longchamps coined the name Periparus in 1884 (here) Linnaeus's Parus [from/of 1758 (and far earlier)], was well known, and established, by all Ornithologists.

And, mixed scientific names, like this one, with words/phrases in both (originally) Greek and (ditto) Latin parts, are not "rather rare", quite the opposite, they are fairly common, for examples see Conventions in the Key (here). ;)

Last edited:
Thanks both for the replies.

@Björn, sorry I didn't get your point. I saw the link you provided, but... how do you reach the conclusion they are common?

@Björn, sorry I didn't get your point. I saw the link you provided, but... how do you reach the conclusion they are common?
Gonçalo, sorry for this somewhat tardy reply (lately I haven't been as frequent here on BirdForum, as I used to be), though note that I did not write that names like these are "common", but "fairly common" (it's quite a difference) ... also note the word "originally" (in brackets/parenthesis), in my post #3.

Either way, some (quick) examples:
albilineata / albilineatus = Latin: albus (white) + lineatus (line/d), the latter originates in the Greek linon (linen)

albipes = Latin: albus (white) + pedis (foot), the latter originates in the Greek pados (foot)

... etc. etc.

We also have more similar (Generic) names like:

Amaurolimnas = Greek amauros (dark/dusky) + Latin limnas (rail)

Ctenanas = Greek kteis/ktenos (comb) + Latin anas (duck)

Pseudosterna = Greek pseudos (false/fake) + (genus) Sterna (Latin for tern)

Symplectes = Greek sym (sun) + Latin plectes (weaver), the latter from Greek plekō (to plait, the one who pleat)

... and onwards.

With hope that I now have made myself somewhat clearer.

Cheers

Björn

Last edited:
Great! (y)

And, by the way, I hope you've seen the following (fairly recent) Paper, dealing with Portuguese global Birds/names:
Paixão, P. Os Nomes Portugueses das Aves de Todo o Mundo: Projeto de Nomenclatura, 2.a ed., a separata, n.o 1, suplemento d’«a folha» n.o 66 — verão de 2021, Edição do autor. 2021. (here)

If not, and of interest: Enjoy!

/B

Last edited:
And, by the way, I hope you've seen the following (fairly recent) Paper, dealing with Portuguese global Birds/names:
Paixão, P. Os Nomes Portugueses das Aves de Todo o Mundo: Projeto de Nomenclatura, 2.a ed., a separata, n.o 1, suplemento d’«a folha» n.o 66 — verão de 2021, Edição do autor. 2021. (here)

If not, and of interest: Enjoy!

/B
I have seen that list yes, actually me and a few other Portuguese birders have also published a list of Portuguese names for all the birds of the world.

Here is the link: Aves do Mundo PT

It's in Portuguese, but English names are also listed for easier referencing. For instance here:

But thanks for sharing.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back