• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Parkgate Raptors (2 Viewers)

Where is the best place to go to see the birds. I know of the road down to the marsh from RSPB Inner Marsh but that is not really Parkgate. Where is the Donkey Stand. Can some one help and give directions please?

from the marsh south of IMF (Burton Marsh) turn right up Denhall lane and turn left at the top by Ness Gardens-keep going into Neston for about a mile, past The Wheatsheaf pub-under the bridge, over the mini roundabout and through the lights.
Take the next left after the lights-signposted Parkgate and keep going until the road brings you out on the front with the marsh on your left-drive right along the front until you come to a tudor type pub (just as the road turns to the right away from the marsh) called The Boathouse-turn left in front of the pub and Old Baths car park is in front of you.

This is the best spot for viewing the marsh and where the RSPB hold the Raptorwatches.

hope this helps-it`s a lot easier to find than it sounds

cheers

from the marsh south of IMF (Burton Marsh) turn right up Denhall lane and turn left at the top by Ness Gardens-keep going into Neston for about a mile, past The Wheatsheaf pub-under the bridge, over the mini roundabout and through the lights.
Take the next left after the lights-signposted Parkgate and keep going until the road brings you out on the front with the marsh on your left-drive right along the front until you come to a tudor type pub (just as the road turns to the right away from the marsh) called The Boathouse-turn left in front of the pub and Old Baths car park is in front of you.

This is the best spot for viewing the marsh and where the RSPB hold the Raptorwatches.

hope this helps-it`s a lot easier to find than it sounds

cheers

Couldn't have put it better directions myself.

CB

Will it make any difference going on a day with a high tide? For example Feb 1st has a 10m high tide at 12.30pm.

Will it make any difference going on a day with a high tide? For example Feb 1st has a 10m high tide at 12.30pm.

Possibly Jaff but in my experiences over the years there it`s not neccessary to have spectacular views there.

On the odd occasion the high tide can come right into the wall, flushing small mammals and encouraging raptors but over the last few Winters there`s been a large raptor prescence regardless.

cheers

It does give you a better chance but as boom says it does not guarantee a good day. Sometimes on the lower tides, if the wind is onshore then the tide gets pushed in more than normal.

CB

It does give you a better chance but as boom says it does not guarantee a good day. Sometimes on the lower tides, if the wind is onshore then the tide gets pushed in more than normal.

CB

I know the weather has a large part to play in the effectiveness of the tide. Just trying to pick out the best day to visit at present, it's a long way.

Couldn't have put it better directions myself.

CB

Or a bit easier possibly? - if arriving from anywhere other than IMF or Wirral

At the end of M56 turn onto A540 and head toward Hoylake, keep driving until you see a signpost for Parkgate and then follow your nose,

one turning takes you down a road that has an elevation that allows views over the marsh before bring you down to the Boathouse pub - then simply turn right and drive over a few speed bumps to arrive in the Old Baths Car Park.

The Donkey stand juts out from the prom into the masrh opposite the Ic-Cream shop, double yellow lines in front of Donkey stand. Believe it or not the used to run donkey rides on the beach from here!

We'll be there on the 1st and 2nd Feb due the chance of the tide flooding the entire marsh - I've not seen this yet!

A few years ago I parked near the Harp Pub and walked towards the Old Quay looking for Water Pipit at high tide. I suddenly realised thetide was coming in very fast and high and that the car was right at the edge of the salt marsh. The water was 1/2 way up the front wheels by the time I raced back!

That was the infamous year a lot of sheep drowned on Burton Marsh.

I know the weather has a large part to play in the effectiveness of the tide. Just trying to pick out the best day to visit at present, it's a long way.

Jaff
If you can only go 1 day then choose the 10 mtr plus as it will (theoretically) give you the best chance.
It may be that the 9.5 has the wind in the right direction and vice versa but logistically the 10+ should be better.
Unfortunately the 10 day weather forecast has Sunday as sunny and Monday as rain & snow* so check it out on Saturday and make the decision.......
lower tide and sunshine :-O or
higher tide and a soaking :-C

*Quick EDIT
Just looked on the 10 day forecast and it now shows Monday as sunny/cloudy

Last edited:
Was the Spoonbill lingering?

Certainly was, it was there when I arrived & still there 3/4 hr later. Took off once & flew in a big circle before returning to the same place, directly in front of the old baths, at the end where the wall has gone.

In all probability will be there Monday. Wind is looking favourable all wkend but obviously Monday is looking the best for the tide. Although tomoz is wall to wall sunshine but liable to be busy I'm guessing.

It's looking 70-30 in favour of Monday at the mo. :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back