• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Parakeets in the North west??? (1 Viewer)

David Smith

Warrington Lancs
This Parakeet "appeared" in our garden this week. Having "googled" it I get the impression that they are still very much a south-east bird and rapidly becoming a pest. I can't find any sightings as far north as this.
Am I now offically famous??
Does David Attenborough have my phone number??
Will I be rich beyond my dreams??
:-O

Attachments

• IMG_0859.JPG
    IMG_0859.JPG
    247.3 KB · Views: 278
Some years back there were a few reports in the Poynton area, but I'm not aware of there having been an established population.

James

The Poynton record refers to one long-staying individual which was regularly twitched by yearlisters from across the county plus two different fly-over birds. Birds are seen annually but can occur anywhere in the county. The Manchester population appears to be self-supporting.

CB

Last edited:
The Manchester peak count this year is 40, mostly in the south Manchester area around Fallowfield/Didsbury way.
Singles do appear to roam from this group, there has been a long stayer at Dunham Park and ad hoc reports elsewhere.
Nice to get one in your garden - without giving too much away which part of Warrington are you?

The Manchester peak count this year is 40, mostly in the south Manchester area around Fallowfield/Didsbury way.
Singles do appear to roam from this group, there has been a long stayer at Dunham Park and ad hoc reports elsewhere.
Nice to get one in your garden - without giving too much away which part of Warrington are you?

We are what you could call "north Warrington".......very close to Houghton Green Flash.
So does this mean we wont be famous, cannot sell my life story and will not be contacted by David Attenborough :-C

My cousin live slightly east of Manchester in the Simmondley/Glossop area. He advise me that parakeets are seen in this area.

In the North East there is a small established and expanding population (in excess of 30 birds) in Hartlepool, quite a bit further north than Warrington

Cheers
Martyn

I've seen them near the Etihad stadium on my way to watch the football in the past. And as far as northern sightings go, I've had them over my garden twice in Northumberland. Sorry!

Several years ago I saw these birds on the feeders at Pennington Flash although I have to say I've not seen them there in the last couple of years.

Ringed necked parakeet

This Parakeet "appeared" in our garden this week. Having "googled" it I get the impression that they are still very much a south-east bird and rapidly becoming a pest. I can't find any sightings as far north as this.
Am I now offically famous??
Does David Attenborough have my phone number??
Will I be rich beyond my dreams??
:-O

How are people looking at these birds are they accepting them or treating them as pests i hope they don,t get the same treatment as the bullfinch got.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back