• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Papuan birders 2008 list (1 Viewer)

January 23th
North of Weipa, Queensland, north-east Australia

233. Little Corella
234. Dollarbird
235. Yellow-billed Kingfisher

January 25th
Lakefield National Park, Queensland, north-east Australia

236. Squatter Pigeon
237. Silver Gull
238. Painted Buttonquail
239. Gull-billed Tern
240. Australian Hobby
241. Bailons Crake
242. Brolga Crane
243. Red-backed Kingfisher
244. Noisy Miner

Last edited:
January 27th
north of Staaten River National Park, Queensland, north-east Australia

After having left Lakefield NP we set out for another Queensland National park, a place which I hadent visited before but my friend know the park very well as he had searched for reptiles in this area several times in the 1990s. The time it took to travel to Staaten River NP may have been spoiled as we didnt see much during these two days, and in the end we never birded in the park itself but stuck to a few promising areas just north of the park instead. But I got my first lifer of the year and a bird which I have wanted to see for a long time, the Golden-Shouldered Parrot, so the time it took to get to this area was very well worth it.

245. Australian Pratincole
246. Peregrine Falcon
247. Rufous-throated Honeyeater
248. GOLDEN SHOULDERED PARROT
249. White-browed woodswallow
250. Australian Magpie

January 30th
north of Cairns, Queensland, north-east Australia

After nearly a month long roadtrip in the northern parts of Queensland I returned to my house outside Cairns late in the afternoon. My last day out in the field with my swedish friend who was to heading towards northern Territory later in the day, we spend the remaning hours of daylight to search for wildlife around a small swamp, mainly in searches for turtles but also on outlook for other animals.

251. Blue-faced Parrot-finch (2 females, first time in Australia)
252. Grey Fantail
253. Cotton Pygmy-goose
254. Yellow-billed Spoonbill
255. Scarlet honeyeater

February 1st
coastal Cooktown, Queensland, north-east Australia

A days visit up to Cooktown allowed about an hour of birdwatching in some remaning patches mangrove forest/beaches.

256. Caspian Tern
257. Mangrove golden whistler
258. Mangrove Robin

I have not been updating my list for a LONG time and thought it was about time to catch up.

February 23th
Just north of Cooktown, north-east Queensland, Australia

I was out looking for dolphins with a good friend of mine for a few hours about 20min north of Cooktown, saw plenty of sea-birds including over 30 frigate birds as well as quite a few Masked Boobies, the only new bird for the day was a distant Brown Booby.

260. Brown Booby

March 5-19th
Melbourne and Eastern Victoria, Australia

In March I was lucky enough to be travelling to the state of Victoria in Southern Australia for business, it was only my second visit ever to Victoria (my first visit was in 1997). As the main reason for my visit on Victoria was in business I spend most of the weeks in Melbourne and I didnt have much time to bird during my first week there unfortunely but I soon I had a few hours off I rented a car and drove to some area 30min-1 hour outside Melbourne. The last week I didnt have much to do and most of the last week was spend looking for birds in the eastern half of Victoria. There is quite a few near-endemics found in Victoria and I missed out on alot of them on my 1997 visit becuase I didnt know where to go then, though I have caught up with most of these near-endemics in New South Wales since (1999, 2001 and 2002) so I had already checked of most endemics found in this region, but that didnt stop me for trying for them in Victoria as well, and in the end I got a fair share of birds during my visit.

261. Eurasian Blackbird
262. Spotted Pardalote
263. Crimson Rosella
264. Diamond Firetail
265. Yellow-tufted Honeyeater
266. Australian shelduck
267. Hoary-headed Grebe (at last!!)
268. Australian Spotted Crake
269. Chestnut Teal
270. Australian Shoveler
271. Pink-eared Duck
272. Red-kneed Dotterel
273. Banded Lapwing
274. Whiskered Tern
275. Crested Pigeon
276. Little Raven
277. European Goldfinch
278. White-browed Scrubwren
279. Yellow-tailed Black-cockatoo
280. Brown Thornbill
281. Beutiful Firetail (Bird of the trip!!!!)
282. Ground Thrush
283. Tree Sparrow
284. Mallard
285. Stubble Quail
286. Little Penguin
287. Black-faced Cormorant
288. Cape Barren Goose
289. Musk Duck
290. Blue-billed Duck
291. Painted Snipe
292. Pacific Gull
293. White-eared Honeyeater
294.White-plumed honeyeater
295. Hooded Robin
296. Eastern shrike-tit

March 28th-April 2nd
Port Moresby, south-east Papua New Guinea.

So, was I back in my homecountry for the first time in 2008, I had felt homesick for quite some time and it feelt really great to be back again!

March 28th

The first days of my home coming I spend with family and relatives just outside Port Moresby, the place where I lived for the first of my 20years:t:

I had much time to catch up together with the family so virtually no time for birding, just a few minutes back and forth from the local food grosery and birds seen in my parents garden. And after being spoiled by birding along the northern coast of Papua New Guinea for the past year I couldent help being disapointed about the little amount of birds I saw during these few days, trapping pressure is surely taking its fair toll on the birds. And many birds found in this part of New Guinea is also found in Australia, where I had seen them earlier in 2008.

About the first I saw on the day upon my arrival was a few boys trying to catch Munias and Fairywrens (and other small grassland species) in a remaning patch of grassland just outside the airport entry, I stopped closeby to buy some fruits (about 20min) and was happy to see that the boys seemed really lousy at what they were doing, they were jumping around with hand nets and some sticks and according to the shop owner they had been jumping around in the patch of grassland since early in the morning but he hadent seen them catching anything apart from some snake and a few rats.

During my short stop at the fruit market I managed to see a few birds, 3-4 cattle egrets swarming around a water buffalo and a distant Black Kite. I had no hope to find much else considering the trapping going on nearby.

In the late afternoon I heard the call of white-winged fairywrens in my parents garden and with great effort I managed to see 1 white-winged fairywren, this day must go into the records as the most lousy birding day I have ever had

297. White-winged Fairywren.

April 1st.

The following days I saw several other species, including Brahminy Kite, House Sparrow, White-bellied cuckoo-shrike and Wandering whistling-duck, but all of them seen previous in Australia and most of them just only briefly flying over my parents neighbhourhood anyway. I had heard the call of Grey Crow on several occasions during the past days but no luck spotting any, a Kookaburra seen parched on a wire above the road running through the village, but then I spotted it!!! a small, blackish bird feeding on some flower in a high bush, it disapered into the bush several times but finally choosed to take its escape as I approached the bush, it was a male Black Sunbird, dont think I have ever been so happy to see a Black Sunbird before.

298. Black Sunbird.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back