• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pantanal & Amazonia: best period?? (1 Viewer)

Didier Godreau

Dear all,

do you know the best period to visit Pantanal and Amazonia states, in Brazil?

I want to avoid very wet season!!

Many thanks for you help!

Any comments and advice are welcome!!

Didier

Didier Godreau said:
Dear all,

do you know the best period to visit Pantanal and Amazonia states, in Brazil?

I want to avoid very wet season!!

Many thanks for you help!

Any comments and advice are welcome!!

Didier

Probably through June, July, August, September and into October are the driest and also good for birding, if you want any further advice pm me.

Keep it online if its not sensitive information - and I'm sure weather trends are not top secret - as these information requests can be of interest to others as well

I assume you are referring to a combined visit of either the north or south Pantanal and the Amazonian birding found around Alta Floresta, using Cuiabá as a sort of transportation hub.

September is widely regarded as the best month for this trip. There is little rain, but at least it has started by this time, enough to get a number of species singing and thinking about breeding. The rains also put out a few of the fires which are commonplace (though apparently this is improving over the past couple of years) starting in August, so smoke shouldn't be a big problem. The water levels in the Pantanal are at their lowest in early (?) September, so this would be the best time for the wildlife spectacle for which the area is famous.

If avoiding rain is you #1 criterium, try a visit in June or July. The birds aren't particularly vocal, but antswarms are active in this period, and you certainly won't get any rain. Insects don't pose a big problem around Alta Floresta/Cristalino - there are far fewer mosquitoes in the dry season than say, January or February when it can be tough to breathe without inhaling the rascals. Though I have only visited once, I get the impression the mosquitoes are difficult to avoid in the Pantanal.

Here is a rough outline of rain periods in Alta Floresta (note that this is really only helpful for Alta Floresta and Cristalino only, as these rain patterns vary throughout the Amazon basin):

January - daily rains; it might rain all day on an average of once per week
February - daily rains; it might rain all day on an average of once every ten days
March - almost daily rains; highest water levels of the year
April - frequent rains, but no longer daily; water levels begin falling in early April, dropping rapidly by the third week
May - occasional rains, pleasant temperatures; water levels still reasonably high, but all trails open
June - no rain; plenty of sun, high temperatures but comparatively low humidity; low vocal activity
July - no rain; plenty of sun, high temperatures
August - occasional night rains towards the end of the month; possibly smoky from forest fires; a number of fruits ripening and seeds dropping, good for frugivores
September - occasional rains, at night or in the afternoon; vocal activity picking up
October - overnight rains refresh the forest; vocal activity better
November - rain in the afternoons and overnight, humidity very high; decent vocal activity
December - rains intensify, high humidity; many birds still vocal and breeding

Please keep in mind that the above is a rough estimate of precipitation and bird activity; the onset and duration of the rainy season varies from year to year, but generally speaking runs from December to April.

hope this helps a little,

Brad

Aside from Alta Floresta, there is excellent Amazonian birding to be had at Carajás (accessed from Belem or Brasilia), Amazonia NP (access from Belem and Itaituba, Pará), Pousada Rio Roosevelt (from Porto Velho, Rondonia), Borba (flight from Manaus) and of course at Manaus itself - including a trip to the Anavilhanas archipelago etc.

If combining with the Pantanal, Alta Floresta and the Rio Cristalino is your simplest and best option, but all the above mentioned areas offer a host of terrific species. You can also add a day or two in Chapada dos Guimarães, a scenic and birdy national park near Cuiabá.

cheers

Brad

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back