• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panama - Bocas del Toro: Northern or Louisiana Waterthrush? (1 Viewer)

Mario-F

Dear users,

I took these pictures on the 12th of August 2018 at the Red Frog Beach (Isla Bastimentos, Bocas del Toro, Panama). I can not say with certainty that both pictures show the same individual...

Is it possible to identify the species of Waterthrush? The pink legs and whiter color may point to Louisiana!?

Thanks in advance,
Mario

Attachments

• DSC08679 Waterthrush_12-08-18_Bocas del Toro Isla Bastimentos Red Frog Beach Panama.jpg
    DSC08679 Waterthrush_12-08-18_Bocas del Toro Isla Bastimentos Red Frog Beach Panama.jpg
    276.4 KB · Views: 51
  • DSC08707 Waterthrush_12-08-18_Bocas del Toro Isla Bastimentos Red Frog Beach Panama.jpg
    DSC08707 Waterthrush_12-08-18_Bocas del Toro Isla Bastimentos Red Frog Beach Panama.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 173
The thing that makes me pause is the dark undertail coverts which contrast the following wording from Birds of North America (for LuWa)
In the hand, greater under-tail coverts are whiter, with indistinct and restricted grayish patches basally, in contrast to much more extensive olive markings on the basal half of the same feathers in Northern Waterthrush (Ridgway 1902).

Niels

Dear all,

thank you for your opinions on this waterthrush!
I compared a lot of other pictures now and I think Louisiana Waterthrush fits better, than the Northern...

The thing that makes me pause is the dark undertail coverts which contrast the following wording from Birds of North America (for LuWa)

Niels, where do you see dark undertail coverts on my bird? I think especially the undertail fits much better to the LUWA. See this link: http://www.powdermillarc.org/archives/Powdermill Website Original/Pictorial_Highlights_080304.htm (scroll down a little)
There you see a nice comparison of both waterthrushes.

Regards,
Mario

On your second image, the undertail coverts are as dark as the flank, while on those images I looked at, this area was white. You have just shown a link to a photo by someone who should really know that is similar to yours, well done.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back