• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pampas and around BA - advice needed (1 Viewer)

holmesneg

We will have 3 or 4 days free at the end of a 3 week trip to Brazil and Argentina. We will be in Buenos Aires. It is mainly a family holiday but I am looking for an option for casual birding and general wildlife watching within 3 - 4 hours of BA. We do not really have the budget for another flight, e.g. down to Trelew for the Valdes Peninsula, although this is where I'd like to go, and need to stick closer to BA. I am looking for somewhere comfortable we can stay with good, relaxed wildlife spotting opportunities without too much travelling.
Any ideas? I have read about the San Clemente Del Tuyu area vaguely and it sounds interesting, but I can't find much info on good accommodation options.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Nick

I suppose the answer lies with whether you wish to leave Buenos Aires or not.

If you wish to stay in the city then mornings at Costenera Sur are the easiest option. Next would be Otimundi reserve.

Day trips to areas around the city are quite possible, I would recommend getting to the Entre Rios province near a town called Ceibas to do some birding. Be warned that if the are is still in drought conditions many of the flooded roadsides will be birdless. Flores is also an excellent choice in the south of the city.

There are many members of the BA ornithological club that could help you.

MR

I have just got back from Argentina and Costanera Sur is very good. By third day it gets more difficult to find new birds but there are lots of other things to do in BA. The Hilton hotel is just next to the marina area and the reserve and is very good - it can get expensive so check deals. Breakfast can be had at the local cafe's along the water front rather than pay the Hilton price.

Thank you for these replies. We will be in BA for a few days and so will cover costanera sur then. We are also considering hiring a guide to visit Otamendi for the day...but I need somewhere to go outside of BA (happy to hire a car) for a few days. I am still considering either San Clemente Del Tuyu (and Punta Rasa) or somewhere like El Palmar NP in southern Entre Rios, but I can't find much detail about how doable these are on our own with no guide. We should have already seen plenty of birds on the trip by this point and so would be interested in seeing a bit more of Argentinian animal life.....skunks, foxes, etc.....but I just don't know where to go.....anyone any ideas????
Thank you

A major word of warning, Buenos Aires is getting more dangerous for foreigners. I advise you to hire a guide to take you around rather than drive yourself.

There are lots of easily accessible areas only a few hours from the city.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back