• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pacific North West in June? (1 Viewer)

ryckfour

Hi

I am planning a trip to the West Coast (starting in Seattle and finishing in San Francisco) for a 'special birthday' in June. I know it's not a great time for birding anywhere but does anyone have suggestions of where to go and what to expect?

D

You may find my trip report from last year useful:
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=207143
I was in that area in June, so it should provide a few ideas. I'd very much recommend a pelagic from Westport, if you're able to fit it in, although the scheduled trip is right at the end of June next year:
http://www.westportseabirds.com/2012schedule.html

Not sure what you mean about June being no good!

Thanks Andrew

Pelagic looks too late for me but your list is really going to help. June - too late for singing, too early for migrants (generally) but, given that it will be a whole new set of birds for me, I really shouldn't grumble.

Deryck

Seattle Audobon Society

It's a great resource for events and classes etc.

http://www.seattleaudubon.org/birdweb/index.aspx

Also, the store in Burien (West Seattle), Wild Birds Unlimited, has a little club, and they schedule outings together (I think every weekend) but you could give them a call.

I live right on a river, three stories up, with lots of sky and foliage, 20 miles South of town. I've been in this spot since last April, and I have to say, we have plenty of life and variety here... with a marvelous, seasonal rotation. You never know what you'll see in the morning.

Even in the dead of Winter, I have Juvenile Bald Eagles, Cormorants, Hummingbirds, Goldeneyes, Canadians, Mergansers, Widgeons, Osprey, Red Tailed Hawks, Stellar jays, and sundry little fellows... Sparrows, Finches, Varied Thrushes, Robins, Chickadees.... ALL, just in the last few days.

I think it's a marvelous place to visit. I do envy you going to San Francisco though. I grew up there, and I've heard they've done some wonderful things to make a walking tour more enjoyable.

Best of luck

Bird up and down the coast....you will fine the weather wonderful and many water birds. Also, a pelagic tour is still possible as they are leaving from Newport oregon all the time till late sept or early Oct... If you are birding all the way down to SF, you will hit newport... jim

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back