• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Owls (1 Viewer)

Strix hostilis Kleinschmidt 1915: 11-20, 1915-24 - Falco : - Biodiversity Heritage Library
Separated based on short leg length. (Lauf in the text below is used in the sense of a bird's leg; beware it's not a very standard word in German nowadays: it may give a hard time to translation software.)

Strix hostilis, form. nov.
Sechs englische Schleiereulen (zwei in Coll. Kl., vier in Coll. v. Erl.) zeigen gegenüber zehn S. alba von Siena und Ravenna (Coll. v. Erl.) sowie gegenüber vielen S. ernesti von Sardinien (Coll. Kl.) eine Lauflänge, die zwischen niedrigeren Extremen schwankt. Ich nenne die englische Form hostilis (Typen ♂♀ in Coll. Kl.). Ich hatte Hartert darauf aufmerksam gemacht. Vergleiche dessen Bemerkungen in V. p. F. Skeletmaße sind sicherer als Balgmaße. Der einfachste Weg zu exaktester Feststellung der Pendelweite für England, Italien, Ägypten, Nubien würde darin bestehen, daß man vom langläufigsten und kurzläufigsten Stück jedes Landes am Balg einen Mittelfußknochen auslöst bzw. freilegt, oder daß man gleich bei der Präparation die Beinlängen mißt, wie ich das immer mit der Schwanzfedernlänge zu tun pflege. Eine Vogelsammlung darf nicht nur Bälge enthalten. Ich bewahre schon lange möglichst zu jedem Stück Skeletteile auf. Es ist unwissenschaftlich, aus Bequemlichkeit Skeletunterschiede (vgl. Tafel X meiner Schleiereulen-Monographie) glatt zu ignorieren, denn Ignorieren führt zur Ignoranz. Das kurzläufige Extrem der weißen Schleiereulenformenreihe Sennaar - England darf nicht nomenklatorisch ignoriert werden*). Genaueres später in Berajah! O. Kleinschmidt.
--------------------------
*) Die Ornithologie ist nicht zum bequemen Sortieren von Vogelarten da, sondern zum Prüfen von Abstammungsfragen der Naturgeschichte ("Physiogonie").
Die hostile Schleiereule und der hostile Sperling werden sicherlich in ihrer Heimat eine hostile, d. h. ablehnende, Behandlung erfahren. Uns mag das gleichgültig sein, da wir sie nicht im Interesse britischer Ornithologen benannt wissen wollen, sondern im Interesse der Gründlichkeit deutscher Wissenschaft. O. Kleinschmidt.

The two syntypes are in the collection of the Zoologisches Forschungsmuseum Alexander Koenig (Bonn) -- van den Elsen 2010 :
Strix hostilis Kleinschmidt, 1915
Falco 11: 18.

Syntypes: Coll. Kl. 6952, male, Hurst, Sussex, England, 08.1894, and Coll. Kl. 6953, female, Bramber, Sussex, (with parts of the skeleton), 10.09.1897, both per Brazenor, Brighton. – Dickinson (2003): Tyto alba alba (Scopoli, 1769).

Terra typica Hurst and Bramber, East Sussex, UK, thus.

Last edited:
Kleinschmidt comes across as a most arrogant type.
Calling a British subspecies "hostile" in 1915 and being indifferent about what the British would think of this "as we are only interested in the thoroughness of German science"...

(I have heard the word "Lauf" from German birders).

Being called 'hostile' during the Great War was the least of our worries. I remember my grandfather, an Old Contemptible, had a rich vocabulary to describe the Germans, and his oft-repeated rhyme about old Von Gluck would make you blush.

Strix hostilis Kleinschmidt 1915: 11-20, 1915-24 - Falco : - Biodiversity Heritage Library
Separated based on short leg length. (Lauf in the text below is used in the sense of a bird's leg; beware it's not a very standard word in German nowadays: it may give a hard time to translation software.)

The two syntypes are in the collection of the Zoologisches Forschungsmuseum Alexander Koenig (Bonn) -- van den Elsen 2010 :

Terra typica Hurst and Bramber, East Sussex, UK, thus.
How about Iberia? Any named forms there? I could see none on Avibase, which lumps W Europe all into alba.

Strix kirchhoffii Brehm 1857:
OD (Brehm AE. 1857. Vorläufige Zusammenstellung der Vögel Spaniens mit kritischer Benutzung der bisher von spanischen Ornithologen herausgegebenen Verzeichnisse. Allg. deutsch. naturhist. Z., n.F., 3: 431-489.; p. 440) here.
Subsequent, more detailed, description (Brehm CL. 1858. Die Schleierkäuse. Strix, Lin. Naumannia, 8: 214-220.; p. 219) here.
A (presumed) type was listed as being in the Tring collection by Hartert 1918 here.

But, for a complete picture, we'd need data from more populations, I think -- starting with Italy (the type locality of nominate alba is Friuli, i.e., NE Italy; all the "other / continental" populations sampled in this study are either guttata, or (N France and Switzerland) in the alba-guttata intergradation zone).

I'm not clear at all about the treatment that has been / should be given to "Strix splendens".
This name was apparently started as a manuscript name which had been used on the labels of specimens brought from WF Hemprich's and CG Ehrenberg's voyage to NE Africa, and which subsequent authors adopted in published works, often attributing it to Hemprich.
Most recently, Weick 2006 cited this name to Brehm 1855 (where CL Brehm described its range as "Nordostafrika und am Rheine"), and synonymized it with guttata, indicating Strasbourg as the type locality (= the "am Rheine" part of Brehm's stated range).
An earlier, strikingly different reading, was offered by Hartert 1918, who, altghough he cited the name to the exact same source, synonymized it with alba (a name that he applied to all Mediterranean populations of the species), with type locality Cairo (= the "Nordostafrika" part of Brehm's stated range).
The Richmond index also has a card (referring to Hartert 1922) citing the same name to Brehm 1840, where it was based on North-African birds in the Berlin Museum (Hartert 1922: "Typus aus Unterägypten im Berliner Museum; Stresemann, in litt."), and sufficiently described to have been made available.
But the name had actually been used and characterized still earlier than this -- the earliest introduction I can find right now being in 1834, in a review of Gloger's Das Abändern der Vögel durch Einfluß des Klima's, published in the Leipziger Literaturzeitung and signed ".r." (= ?): here -
Der Schleyerkauz, Strix flammea Linn., ändert nach Gl., unter keinerley Verhältnissen bestimmt klimatisch, sondern blos individuell ab (s. S. 141). Unter vielen deutschen fanden wir, die verschiedene Grundfarbe ausgenommen, nur geringe Unterschiede, aber diese sind bey den ausländischen sehr bedeutend. In Nordafrika lebt Strix splendens Hempr., sehr gut charakterisirt durch den blendendweissen, ganz ungefleckten Vorderkörper; in Mittelafrika eine mit sehr ausgeprägter Zeichnung; ihre Grundfarbe ist am Vorderkörper hochroth braungelb und ihre braunen Flecken sind weit grösser, als sie je an einem deutschen Exemplare vorkommen. Die am Vorgebirge der gulen Hoffnung wohnende hat eine sehr helle Zeichnung und schmale, aber so lange Schwungfedern, dass die 8 vordersten (bey den unserigen nur die 6 vordersten ) Schwungfedern über die der zweyten Ordnung vorstehen. Ihre Füsse sind kleiner, als bey der mittelafrikanischen. Am meisten zeichnet sich die südamerikanische Strix perlata Ill. durch ihre Grösse und ihre langen Füsse aus. Wir sahen 5 Stücke und alle waren einander gleich. Die Weibchen sind 6" und die Männchen 5" breiter, als bey unserer Art. Ihr Unterkörp ist fast reinweiss mit grossen braunen Flecken, also viel weisser, als sie je in Deutschland vorkommen. Und die Schleyereule ändert nicht ab ?! --

Last edited:
But, for a complete picture, we'd need data from more populations, I think -- starting with Italy (the type locality of nominate alba is Friuli, i.e., NE Italy; all the "other / continental" populations sampled in this study are either guttata, or (N France and Switzerland) in the alba-guttata intergradation zone).
Agreed, but that should not really be a barrier to recognising kirchhoffii for Iberia and hostilis for the UK. Barn Owls are not exactly common in the British Isles and have been in decline - and now seem likely to be an endemic subspecies to boot, so perhaps deserving of more conservation attention than has been assumed. I can think of only a few reliable localities where I have seen the species regularly in the best part of a lifetime birding in these parts!

Well, we have no data so far that show that one of these two is not identical to alba...
I suppose alba could conceivably jump from Italy over France to UK or Spain - although it would seem unlikely given the contiguity of habitat around the Monaco area; the Spain-Britain link is already odd though!

I suppose alba could conceivably jump from Italy over France to UK or Spain - although it would seem unlikely given the contiguity of habitat around the Monaco area; the Spain-Britain link is already odd though!
It's not so odd. Several species have this pattern. I saw something out today in Molecular Ecology about Red Foxes which show a very similar pattern and some recent Pied Flycatcher work shows the same.

It's not hard to imagine a scenario where an organism moves out of the Iberian refugium, up along the Atlantic coast until it hits the British Isles. Then, after the formation of the Channel, populations from further east swamp out the French populations, but fail to cross the Channel or the Pyrenees, leaving an apparent gap.

".r." (= ?
Possibly Justus Wilhelm Martin Radius, pathologist.
Two local Cali. pathologists are rabid bird watchers. He was on the cover of Leipziger Literaturzeitung as organizer??
I think .r. used Strix splendens in comment on Gloger's work because Gloger rule birds who live in wet are dark to show birds who live in dry are light?
A. E. Brehm repeated concept in 1856.
Allgemeine deutsche naturhistorische Zeitung .
I cannot find Strix splendens in Gloger 1833.
Das Abändern der Vögel durch Einfluss des Klima's. - Biodiversity Heritage Library .
Erlanger in 1898 says the type skin of Strix splendens was still in the Berlin museum. "Hempr. Ehrenb. No. 17901". I think he says that.
Ornithologie .
A 1904 JfO says

L. Brehm, Naumannia 1855, p. 270, Strix splendens Brehm
(non Hempr. sed. leg. Hempr.). Hierzu Typus und Cotypus leg.
Hempr. und Ehrenberg, Kgl. Mus. für Naturk. Berlin No. 17901
und 17881.

L. Brehm, Vogelfang 1855 p. 40, No. 6. Strix splendens.
Brehm (non Hempr. sed. leg. Hempr.).

L. Brehm, Vogelfang 1858 p. 214—220. Strix splendens.
Brehm non Hempr. (siehe p. 220 Seite 10 von unten).

Last edited:
I think .r. used Strix splendens in comment on Gloger's work because Gloger rule birds who live in wet are dark to show birds who live in dry are light?
A. E. Brehm repeated concept in 1856.
.r. was commenting on the list of climatic varieties which Gloger included in his work, and where (here) he claimed that barn owls vary only individually. .r. disagreed, and went on describing the variation in barn owls from North Africa (= "Strix splendens Hempr."), Central Africa, the Cape of Good Hope, and South America.
He must have been very familiar with collections of birds from abroad to be able to do this; he must also presumably have had an access to the specimens brought back by Ehrenberg to have been aware of the name.

CL Brehm used Strix splendens in Isis (Oken) in 1840 1840 - Isis von Oken. - Biodiversity Heritage Library, in 1842 1842 - Isis von Oken. - Biodiversity Heritage Library, and in 1845 1845 - Isis von Oken. - Biodiversity Heritage Library. (In 1840 and 1842, the bird was presented as North African; in 1845, Brehm reported one as having been shot on the right bank of the Rhine near Straßburg = Strasbourg.)

He must have been very familiar with collections of birds from abroad to be able to do this; he must also presumably have had an access to the specimens brought back by Ehrenberg to have been aware of the name.
I think the people who this could be said of is very small. The .r. could this be pronounced like Ehr? Ehrenberg was born in Delitzsch, near Leipzig. He first studied theology at the University of Leipzig. He then changed to medicine, however, and during his five semesters in Leipzig also attended J. C. Rosenmüller’s lectures on anatomy and Schwägrichen’s lectures on botany and zoology.. Maybe he knew some of the editors of the publication?

Last edited:
I think the people who this could be said of is very small. The .r. could this be pronounced like Ehr? Ehrenberg was born in Delitzsch, near Leipzig. He first studied theology at the University of Leipzig. He then changed to medicine, however, and during his five semesters in Leipzig also attended J. C. Rosenmüller’s lectures on anatomy and Schwägrichen’s lectures on botany and zoology.. Maybe he knew some of the editors of the publication?
The number of ornithologists was relatively small, but from published correspondences it becomes obvious that they often exchanged and/or borrowed specimens among each other, for example to depict rare species or varieties in their books, or to ask for identifications of little-known taxa. The more wealthy ornithologists/zoologists also made extensive travels, visiting museums and private collections. Most of the old ornithologists were quite good networkers, I think, although the speed with which they exchanged their thoughts as well as their specimens was much slower then today, of course.

Can't remeber that this stud has been posted before:

Landscape and Climatic Variations Shaped Secondary Contacts amid Barn Owls of the Western Palearctic
doi:10.1093/molbev/msab343

Abstract:
The combined actions of climatic variations and landscape barriers shape the history of natural populations. When organisms follow their shifting niches, obstacles in the landscape can lead to the splitting of populations, on which evolution will then act independently. When two such populations are reunited, secondary contact occurs in a broad range of admixture patterns, from narrow hybrid zones to the complete dissolution of lineages. A previous study suggested that barn owls colonized the Western Palearctic after the last glaciation in a ring-like fashion around the Mediterranean Sea, and conjectured an admixture zone in the Balkans. Here, we take advantage of whole-genome sequences of 94 individuals across the Western Palearctic to reveal the complex history of the species in the region using observational and modeling approaches. Even though our results confirm that two distinct lineages colonized the region, one in Europe and one in the Levant, they suggest that it predates the last glaciation and identify a secondary contact zone between the two in Anatolia. We also show that barn owls recolonized Europe after the glaciation from two distinct glacial refugia: a previously identified western one in Iberia and a new eastern one in Italy. Both glacial lineages now communicate via eastern Europe, in a wide and permeable contact zone. This complex history of populations enlightens the taxonomy of Tyto alba in the region, highlights the key role played by mountain ranges and large water bodies as barriers and illustrates the power of population genomics in uncovering intricate demographic patterns.

Maybe no more guttata?
"we suggest that all European barn owls form a single subspecies (T. a. alba), reflecting the entire European population, regardless of their color."

Unless I missed it, this study doesn't appear to have sampled birds from the eastern Canary Islands or from Madeira. It would be interesting to see how these birds fit into the overall picture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back