• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Owen's wildlife for 2023 (15 Viewers)

March 16th

Weather was a bit rotten and I had a lot of other stuff to do but I took advantage of not having to do the school run today to head across the border in the afternoon to Oldbury Power Station and it's alpine swift.

Wasn't sure what to expect really despite some cool photos of it roosting on the power station itself, it was quite rainy and I assumed it would be quite high up or to disappear regularly behind the power station if it was present at all but it turned out to be showing very well over the carpark and I'd seen it before I even parked.

A small crowd really got to enjoy the bird feeding over head and I even managed a few photos which given the rain and my only having a bridge camera surprised myself a little.

An excellent bird despite being a species I'll almost definitely see overseas this year and my third tick in Gloucestershire this year.

alpsw3.jpg

137 Alpine Swift (British tick)

Birds 137 Mammals 5 Herp 3 Butterflies 1 Total 146 Lifers 3

March 17th

The sort of day that feels warm and sunny enough for butterflies and then decides to rain really coldly. So no luck there, getting impatient now.

A nice walk around Cardiff Bay brought lots and lots of Sand Martins, a nice singing Chiffchaff and finally two of the most glaring omissions to the list, a rabbit and a small flock of linnets.

After trying in vain for butterflies in Penarth I then tried the other edge of the bay where 20 minutes searching found a female wheatear that must have been hiding behind mounds of bricks on my first look. Despite seeing a (very nice) Isabelline Wheatear a few months back the first proper wheatear of the year is one of the best moments on the birding calendar.

138 Linnet
6 Rabbit
139 Wheatear

rab.jpg

wh.jpg

Birds 139 Mammals 6 Herp 3 Butterflies 1 Total 146 Lifers 3

March 17th

Staying in the country for the weekend for my parents in laws birthday and the post dusk drive through Herefordshire brought nice views of a pair of badgers before they scuttled off under a hedge. Really happy that my daughter managed to clearly see them from the back of the car. A first for her

saw an unidentifiable bat over the a40 at Ross on wye as well. Starting to feel like spring.

7 badger +

Birds 139 Mammals 7 Herp 3 Butterflies 1 Total 147 Lifers 3

Last edited:
March 18th

Enjoyable day with the in laws walking the Malvern hills. Alternating between showers and sunshine which probably confused the single red admiral we saw. It was definitely a bit sluggish

F5BF0635-42EA-483A-9FB4-633DCCA32B48.jpeg

2 red admiral

Birds 139 Mammals 7 Herp 3 Butterflies 2 Total 148 Lifers 3

March 20th

Driving to work on a rainy monday wasn't the way I expected to get a Welsh tick but had three Parakeet fly past on my commute this morning.

They were the other side of the road from a lake where they were seen roosting a lot last year while a Black Tern was present but despite three visits I didn't connect then. Having them brighten a commute is probably the best result.

140 Ring necked Parakeet

Birds 140 Mammals 7 Herp 3 Butterflies 2 Total 149 Lifers 3

March 24th

An early look for firecrests and butterflies only turned up some hoverflies but by mid morning the gusty weather had brought a Little Gull into the bay. They are annual with us, occasionally multiple birds and often hang around for quite a while but usually spend most of their time sat on choppy water mid-bay whereas this one was very active pleasingly close to the banks. Very enjoyable to watch, really striking contrast between the black W on the upper wing and the bright white under, and even tried for a few photos.

141 Little Gull

lg6.jpg

lg7.jpg
lg1.jpg

Birds 141 Mammals 7 Herp 3 Butterflies 2 Total 150 Lifers 3

March 26th

Started the day with my adder survey but most of the refugia were water logged and the it got colder and colder while we were there. Lots and lots of chiffchaff and some nice photos of skylarks but no reptiles.

A couple of hours around cosmeston had three heard only Willow Warblers amongst at least 60 chiffchaff. Everything I photographed is almost certainly chiffchaff and despite a few glimpses of paler legs I think I'll wait until I get clear views of a singing one.

On the way back to the car I was shocked to see just how much they'd cut back around some of the pools when a tugging on a reed caught my eye, five ten minutes of photographing a reed unable to change my angle much from the pontoon I was on and hoping it wasn't just an unseen moorhen before I finally get clear views of a Water vole. Patience paid off.

wv5.jpg

wv6.jpg

wv7.jpg

8 Water Vole

Birds 141 Mammals 8 Herp 3 Butterflies 2 Total 151 Lifers 3

March 26th

Started the day with my adder survey but most of the refugia were water logged and the it got colder and colder while we were there. Lots and lots of chiffchaff and some nice photos of skylarks but no reptiles.

A couple of hours around cosmeston had three heard only Willow Warblers amongst at least 60 chiffchaff. Everything I photographed is almost certainly chiffchaff and despite a few glimpses of paler legs I think I'll wait until I get clear views of a singing one.

On the way back to the car I was shocked to see just how much they'd cut back around some of the pools when a tugging on a reed caught my eye, five ten minutes of photographing a reed unable to change my angle much from the pontoon I was on and hoping it wasn't just an unseen moorhen before I finally get clear views of a Water vole. Patience paid off.

View attachment 1500963

View attachment 1500964

View attachment 1500965

8 Water Vole

Birds 141 Mammals 8 Herp 3 Butterflies 2 Total 151 Lifers 3
Great to see and manage to photograph a water vole, all too rare now...

Great to see and manage to photograph a water vole, all too rare now...

Thanks, it was a reintroduction scheme about 5 or 6 years ago but I think the releases have been stopped for a while and they are still hanging on. Only the second time I've managed photos though and probably only seen them about a dozen times. They're very cool to watch when you manage it

March 30th

I thought I'd been doing ok but had a very sobering look at where I was this time last year this morning, had had 8 butterfly species in the UK and 2 reptiles. I blame the weather.

Some sun today and it led to seeing quite a few bee species but still no butterflies.

On the bird front I spent the afternoon on the other side of cardiff. Willow Warblers galore but even more specially a Common Tern. I can't imagine I would have gone all summer without visiting lodmoor but terns are my favourite bird family and sometimes just watching one on it's own is even better than a crowd. Lovely views of it feeding over an urban reservoir. Not that common in south wales either, we generally get single birds of a few tern species in cardiff each year but this is the first common close enough for photos i've seen here.

ct3.jpg
ct2.jpg
ct4.jpg

142 Common Tern
143 Willow warbler

Birds 143 Mammals 8 Herp 3 Butterflies 2 Total 153 Lifers 3

April 1st

Fairly dry evening so I took the bat detector out. Common and soprano pipistrelles abundant. Surprisingly no noctules

Got some hits on barbastelle too but that would be a lifer for me so getting second opinions.

9 common pipistrelle
10 soprano pipistrelle

2E547B62-29AF-4F17-981B-B4090CE048D7.jpeg

Birds 143 Mammals 10 Herp 3 Butterflies 2 Total 155 Lifers 3

April 2nd

Enjoyable trip to wiltshire today for some farmland birds. Did some birding from the car at marshfield only getting out when I spotted a Grey Partridge on a field verge. It disappeared under a hedge by the time I got a camera out but there was a singing corn bunting at the same spot that was a lot more accommodating. I'm sure there were probably loads of yellowhammer around as well but I didn't see or hear any while out of the car, unlike corn buntings they are fairly doable near to home, the local High Brown Fritillary site is very reliable for them so I'm sure I'll get some in a month or two.

Had another Grey Partridge in Newton Toney before visiting Winterbourne Downs for Stone Curlew. Good scope views of four birds although they were a little too distant for good photos. I'd hoped for some interesting insects as well as I dont get to chalk downs very often but after a week of rain but ok temperatures it was dry but back down to 8 degrees and apart from a clock beetle insects were hard to find.

I'm pretty sure I'll get three of todays four new birds overseas this year fairly easily but it was nice to be out and the stone curlews were good to watch.

Had a pair of muntjac between Marlborough and the M4 and then a day flying bat on a family visit to cosmeston when I got back home. Throw in a lot of hares at Winterbourne and a few Roe from the car and it was a good day for mammals.

144 Red Legged Partridge
145 Corn Bunting
146 Grey Partridge
147 stone curlew
11 Muntjac

bat3.jpg
cornb2.jpg

FssfQ6rX0AAJz7K.jpg
sc2.jpg

Birds 147 Mammals 11 Herp 3 Butterflies 2 Total 160 Lifers 3

April 3rd

First thing I was chatting on twitter with a few local birders about the complete absence of butterflies this year. Took my daughter around Tredegar house gardens in the morning and still nothing despite sunshine and a lot of flowers. As the day heated up though it seemed more and more like it might be the day that finally kick start the season. Had a presumed small white from the car on the way home but not counting it on those views then a quick walk within a few streets of my house brought four more species.

The peacock looked like it was fresh out of it's winter hibernation and bearing quite a few scars to its wings, lovely blue detail on it's wings though. The Speckled wood and comma were happy to bask in the sun, I think the speckled wood was totally fresh as it wasn't in the same place as i went down the hill and looked very pale. but the brimstone was right at it, bombing around the whole length of a hedgerow and back without stopping. Some awful flight shots were all i managed.

3 Peacock
4 comma
5 speckled wood
6 Brimstone

pc20231.jpg

comma2023.jpg

sw2023.jpg

bs2.jpg

Birds 147 Mammals 11 Herp 3 Butterflies 6 Total 164 Lifers 3

April 4th

A lot of nest building going on and what looked like a nice fall of blackcaps (I had an overwintering one back in january but still great to see and hear) A few more peacock and small tortoiseshell around when it heated up and my first actual clear identifiable views of small white.

7 small white.

sw.jpg

ltt5.jpg

bcap4.jpg

pcock2.jpg

st.jpg

Birds 147 Mammals 11 Herp 3 Butterflies 7 Total 168 Lifers 3

April 9th

Had heard only Reed warblers at two locations in the last few days and finally managed to photograph a brimstone but mainly have been dipping. Iceland Gull in the bay and redstarts at cosmeston. Will make up one of those fairly soon I guess.

Away for Easter at an Airbnb in ceredigion. Stopped off in Fishguard on the way up for a walk along the breakwater looking for Black Guillemot.

It was blowing an absolute gale and drizzling so conditions weren't ideal for scanning let alone photography. I've a feeling the last time I went there it was mid may, the harbour was like a mill pond and I took a scope which would have been next to pointless today.

Anyway no Black Guillemot.

Did have one exhilarating moment on the walk out when a single sandwich tern came into the harbour and started plunge diving in front of us before flying off to sea and then another on the way back to land when three swallows (and I think a house martin but only got a glimpse) came in off over our heads. Bit strange as it's a north east facing harbour but I guess a lot is down to wind direction at the moment. Sandwich terns are up there as my favourite birds and first swallow of the year is always great.

In between I went down on the rocks to duck out of the wind and scanned for auks. Did manage one common guillemot a long way off but no tysties. Maybe in Skye next month or if i come back down to strumble some time.

148 Sandwich tern
149 Guillemot
150 Swallow

Really wasnt the day for photos. The tern was well away before I got the camera out and I mainly just wanted to distinguish the guillemot from a buoy on a very choppy harbour

st2.jpg

cg.jpg

Birds 150 Mammals 11 Herp 3 Butterflies 7 Total 171 Lifers 3

April 10th

We're definitely on a family break rather than a birding one but Cardigan's Welsh Wildlife Centre was only 6 miles from the beach my wife wanted to go to so we paid it a quick visit first thing. Very nice place, I hadn't been there before but looked like it had a lot of well managed habitat and we added quite a few species to our trip list and gave my daughter a chance to practice her photography.

Star bird year list wise was a garganey drake but it remained unshakeably asleep throughout our visit. Thankfully it's head stripe was nicely visible.

Moving on to a wind battered but beautiful Mwnt bay we spent half an hour introducing my daughter to sea watching. She was surprisingly patient and we had a nice mix of sea birds, shags and guillemots as well as a range of gulls, a few seals and very close choughs. Streams of housemartins coming in off the sea and feeding over the cliffs as well. The choughs were probably the highlight for me but it was also great to watch a fulmar dealing with the high winds while barely moving it's wings. such gorgeous fliers.

151 garganey
152 house martin
153 fulmar
12 grey seal

gg4.jpg

Birds 153 Mammals 12 Herp 3 Butterflies 7 Total 175 Lifers 3

April 13th

Was supposed to be a parenting day. In fact I was quite satisfied with just a new mining bee while watching my daughter do the high ropes.

Then get a WhatsApp about an unidentified tern in the bay. Head down with a scope and nice views of a gorgeous bright white long tailed Arctic tern. Absolute pleasure to watch it fly. Terns are the very best birds.

154 Arctic tern

Birds 154 Mammals 12 Herp 3 Butterflies 7 Total 176 Lifers 3

Photo by the finder Gareth stamp

E76AD083-EAEE-4023-9603-92CB10EAB69D.jpeg

F0EFE69C-76D8-4F29-A6DE-92BA67C3B6D9.jpeg

April 15th

I don't really do twitching, I tend to have to set a day well in advance that I can travel for birds and the birds don't always comply with this so often, like today, I have a day set aside and an early start planned and no ticks anywhere in sight. It all worked ok when there were still lots and lots of birds I needed but i'm hitting the limit of the "common rare birds" these days.

I did however recently start organising my photos and writing down what I have seen but didn't have a photo of. A lot of photos from my previous camera seem to have gone missing so even though I know I have photographed it before Lesser Yellowlegs was on the list. So I headed down to North Devon first thing this morning and had great views of the bird in what looked like a site where construction was trying its best to leave something for wildlife. A very enjoyable place to wander around for an hour or so.

It was only a few miles from Aylesbeare Common so I paid the dartford warblers a visit. Incredibly showy, even got to see them in songflight which I've never seen before.

Headed up to Ham Wall where the glossy ibis was right in front of platform 1 and whitethroats were occasionally being briefly showy. The whole place was rammed with blackcaps, watched multiple males chasing a lone female at one point and there was a ton of Cetti's and Reed warbler song as well as booming bitterns but even better there were loads of orange tips whenever the sun came out. The loop around the reeds eventually provided some photos, more than I managed last year but also newly emerged damselflies, some cool nomad bees and a small grass snake.

Final stop was Steart for my second american wader of the day, Pectoral Sandpiper. Took a while to find it and then lost it again when they came to lock the hides so no photos but glad I got it. distant yellow wagtails and Little ringed plovers were nice additions.

lrp.jpg gs1.jpg

lyl5.jpg

otu2.jpg

dw1.jpg

gi.jpg

wt2.jpg

155 Lesser Yellowlegs +
156 dartford warbler
157 glossy ibis
158 whitethroat
159 pectoral sandpiper
160 yellow wagtail