• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Orange-Fronted Parakeets (Conures) In San Blas? (3 Viewers)

I will be visiting San Blas, Nayarit in January, 2010. I have a particular interest in viewing Orange-Fronted Parakeets (aka Orange-Fronted or Half-Moon Conures). Before going there I will be purchasing Howell's [I]A Bird-Finding Guide to Mexico[/I]. Above and beyond that resource, any suggestions where in San Blas and its environs that species may be observed? I am hoping to get good and long looks at them.

Hi!

I'm from Holland and I'm an exchange student at the UNAM in Mexico-City. I visited San Blas 2 weeks ago. I'm not quite sure if Orange-fronted Parakeet occurs in San Blas, but according to Steve Howell's 'A Guide to the Birds of Mexico and Northern Central America', San Blas is part of Orange-fronted Parakeet's range. However, things changed rapidly over the last ten years, which is mostly a bad thing, but partially a good thing, since species such as Snail Kite and Limpkin have settled in the region and now occur frequently, they're actually quite common.
I would highly recommend you to ask for Chencho when you're in San Blas. The 'A bird-finding Guide to Mexico' you're about to buy describes detailed information about San Blas, and Chencho is even mentioned as a recommended boatman. If you're heading towards the dock for the mangrove boattrips and someone offers you a tour in a lancha, ask for Chencho and your tour will be a lot more interesting. He's an older birdwatcher who loves to guide you around in the mangroves with his lancha. That way you will see some species you would never observe on land. For example, I spotted a Northern Potoo! Also, Chencho taped Colima Pygmy-Owl, and inmediately after the tape, there where Colima Pygmy-Owls all over the place bringing along (Mangrove) Yellow Warbler and other American Warblers. We also spotted Magrove Cuckoo, almost all species of herons, Snail Kites, Ospreys, (Mangrove) Common Black-Hawks, Purple Gallinules, Green and Belted Kingfishers, Golden-cheeked Woodpecker (endemic), Lineated Woodpecker, all kinds of tropical flycatchers, Yellow-winged Cacique, the endemic Happy Wren, Sinaloa Wren and Sinaloa Crow and many species more.
If you have a car, you should follow the instructions in the 'A bird-finding Guide to Mexico'. Unfortunately I didn't, so I guess I missed a lot (I couldn't go to the Singayta for example). Of course, San Blas also has changed recently, and not every detail is correct anymore. But check the description of the Sewer Ponds Trail. I was lucky enough to see the endemic Mexican Parrotlet there. Along the track you will also see little lakes / lagunas which are extremely good for water- and shorebirds. At the end of the track you'll find two estuarios, a sort of ponds, where you can see Mangrove Swallows, Yellow-winged Caciques and Teals.
Another good place are two larger ponds just outside the village, used by shrimpcatchers. If you leave San Blas, there's a road to the left. After a few hundred meters you'll see a gate that leads to the ponds. These ponds are extremely good for water- (mostly herons and kingfishers) and shorebirds.
For Brown Pelican and Booby's just go to the little harbor of San Blas, they're pretty abundant. Playa El Borrego next to the harbor is an easy place to spot Black-bellied Plover, Willets and Spotted Sandpiper while relaxing underneath a palapa and drinking your agua de coco!

Of course you will visit San Blas during another season, so not everything I mentioned might work out, but I hope this might help you a little.

Joren

Last edited:
Joren,

Thanks so much for your detailed information about your experiences in San Blas.
I had previously read much about Chencho and supplemented by your glowing comments about him, I will definitely try to go river birding with him- hopefully, he will be available as it will be busy season there and he has quite the reputation.

I too will be carless. I had read that it is possible to get to Lower Singayta by bus- if that is still the case I definitely plan to go there.

Even if I do not get to see the precious and precocious orange-fronted parakeets,
all of the other other birding viewing possibilities there makes me beyond eagerly wish that it was already January, 2010.

Lineated Woodpeckers, Green Parrotletts, Kingfishers, Boobies, Yellow-Winged Caciques, Colima Pygmy Owls...WOW!!!

Last edited:
Chencho is good, and I enjoyed my trip with him, but I have found Armando Santiago Navarette to be even better and much easier to get in touch with since he has a website and regularly answers emails. You can find him at http://www.birdingsanblas.com.
He has worked with Howell and is also very active in conservation and education in the area. I would highly reccommend him.

Matt

Thanks Matt, I really appreciate your feedback and would have followed up on it. However, quite unfortunately, I have bad news to convey. Senor Santiago passed away a few months ago. I had read that on one of the birding blogs in a message submitted by Mark Stackhouse who is also a birding guide who resides in San Blas half of the year. Armando Santiago had the reputation of being one of the finest guides based out of Mexico and will be missed.

Les

So, xmeecosmic, how was your trip, did you find the parakeets? I will be going to San Blas soon and will also be carless. How did it work for you? Did you get to Sinagyta?

Hi, all -
Any trip report in the works, xmeecosmic? San Blas sounds like a good destination for December of this year for my wife and I. How was the weather? I hear parts of Mexico are getting much more rain than usual.

Tanager22, if you head that way, please post something on your experiences.

Thanks!

Steve

I did go to San Blas in February 2010, without a car. I did not see Orange-fronted Parakeets there but I did see them in Mismaloya and Puerto Vallarta. Trying to bird San Blas without a car would not be real rewarding for more than a couple days. I ended up going to the expensive birders' hotel Garza Canela and latching on to some birders I met there. The desk staff at Garza Canela can hook you up with Chencho or other good bird guides, but I got the sense that they wanted you to be paying guest of the hotel. The Tovara boat ride with Chencho or another birding-oriented guide is awesome. The sewage pond trail in San Blas has some good birds in the morning, but soon it gets too hot to be productive. La Bajada is higher elevation and could still be okay in the afternoon. There are buses that go to La Bajada from San Blas, Singayta, too, but I heard the hurricane has depleted the avifauna drastically there, and who knows how long you would have to wait for a bus back. Bus schedules in Mexico are apparently near-non-existent.
Armando Santiago has in fact passed away, I met a new and very affordable guide named Francisco Garcia, a nice guy who speaks excellent English and knows some good places to bird, but his knowledge of North American birds is not yet at expert level. A sort of trip report with pictures can be seen at my blog here:
http://flutterings.blogspot.com/2010/03/san-blas-and-puerto-vallarta-february.html

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back