• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Optolyth Alpin 7x42......... (1 Viewer)

JonMartin

Hi all - my first post and I'm afraid a rather purile one.

Can anybody tell me why the 7x42's seem to be the odd man out in the Alpin range. They are the only 42's and the only Alpins in a forest green colour rather than black. Are they designed for a specific purpouse - stalking perhaps?

Any thoughts on the Optolyth range, as you may have seen there are some fantastic deals on ebay at the mo'

Many thanks, Jon.

Hi Jon and welcome to Bird Forum from the Moderators and Admin.
By no means a puerile post,lots of members debate every conceivable brand of binoculars for hours on end on BF and I'm sure they'll have a view on Optolyths.
Hope you enjoy your time here.

JonMartin said:

Can anybody tell me why the 7x42's seem to be the odd man out in the Alpin range. They are the only 42's and the only Alpins in a forest green colour rather than black. Are they designed for a specific purpouse - stalking perhaps?

Any thoughts on the Optolyth range, as you may have seen there are some fantastic deals on ebay at the mo'

Many thanks, Jon.
My son uses the Optolyth Alpin 10x40 and they are an excellent birding binocular in every way - and exceptionally compact and light in weight; however, they are not fully waterproof - yet have never once misted up internally. Out of interest, I have read that Opticron have stopped importing Optolyth products, though, and it looks as if they won't be available soon in this country.

Last edited:
JonMartin said:

Many thanks, Jon.

Some years back when I started birding a friend had a Pentax 8x40 DCF WP and an Optolyth Alpin 10x50 and I sometimes borrowed the Alpin. The Alpin had a lovely bright contrasty view and yet was incredibly light. The eye pieces were not very eyeglass friendly though and they had once flooded with water necessitating a cleaning.

Jon.I have also seen the deal on E-bay.The new models i think are called the NG.The old model i think have been discontinued, Alpin bins used to be very popular several years ago.I think Ace Optics of Bath still stock these.If buying from E-bay get the NGs as there seems very little price difference between the two

Don't know the 7x42s, but I have a pair of 10x50s (which are now on permanent loan to the wife). Like Leif, I also had problems when a lot of rain got inside. Over the years a lot of dirt and dust has found its way in as well to the extent where it has seriously degraded performance. Maybe I just had a duff pair, but they do seem to be more leaky than one expects even from non-watertight bins. Optically, though, they are very good. Resolution is pretty sharp and light gathering is excellent.

Jason

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back