• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Optics misused Terminology. (1 Viewer)

Paultricounty

United States
I’ve noticed over and over how many of us either misused or overlap our optical description terminology. I know I’ve been guilty as charged. Some things like resolution and light transmission can be measured and are not subjective. Other things are completely subjective like sharp and clear, and other things are border line like warm or cold.

Maybe some can give their definitions of the following , and ad to the list.

Resolution:
Transmission:
Transparency:
Brightness:
Clarity:
Sharpness:
Immersive:
Stereoscopic:
Distortion:
Globe effect/rolling ball:
Neutral:
Warmness:
Cold:

Last edited:
Please add "3D" (as it doesn't always seem to mean stereoscopic) and "Depth of field", and "Contrast", maybe even "Twilight factor". I was about to divide the list into properties that really are simple and objective and others that aren't, but the point of doing so gets lost considering how often the former are misunderstood and subjectivized. At least, that's what seems true at the moment for me...

Eric,

Please do subdivide the categories as to what’s objective, subjective and may be a third that overlap a bit. And I agree let’s add the 3-D effect and depth of field, which I forgot.

Paul

Sparkle
😇

Our oft elusive language, reaching for the intangible, the "je ne sais quois"

From the wonderful Scopeviews site, my favourite summary:
"And yet … (they) ... have a real and unique refinement, an elegance and charm that I just love. I’m tempted to own a pair for reasons not entirely explicable."

Describing the view through a bino model using these terms has always seemed to me to be a rather 'theoretical' way to assess them.

Regular visitors here probably have noticed from my reviews that I prefer to describe the view the binos gave me of a bird, or flower, or butterfly. I seek to find out if the bino can deliver enlightening and enjoyable views of nature and if the bino has any optical quirks that interferes with this, I would mention them.

Here is an extract from my review of SF 8x32, and which, it seems to me, describes how the SF reveals the colours in our natural world.

"Of particular note was the SF’s rendering of different yellows from the dense dark yellow of Marsh Marigold through the mid-tones of Cowslip to the delicate pale yellow of Primrose. I checked-out these latter several times under different lighting conditions since such a delicate shade could easily be ‘muddied’ by any intruding colour cast, but this did not happen. The blues on our resident Blue Tits were vivid and the reds on the faces of our Goldfinches, on two Rosehips surviving from last year, and on the chest of our Bullfinches, were really quite startling. Finally a check on the greens verified the different tones of Hawthorn, Mountain Ash and just-opening Pedunculate Oak, were all reproduced accurately".

A similar approach with regard to how the bino reveals details would illustrate its sharpness capabilities more effectively IMHO than assertions about its 'sharpness'.

I seem to recall, although I can't find it, a thread on proposed sticky thread glossary for the optics forums.

Paultricountry

I accept your invitation to add to your list of definitions.

I suggest "Accommodation".

I describe the process, as I undertand the basic principles of vision and perception, as follows:

The highly resolution central area of the eye (fovea) builds up an image of the scene before it by a series of random jumps (saltations) punctuated by point by point scrutiny of the individual elements that comprise the scene (fixations).

The process is best conceived by comparing it with the way that an image is built up on a cathode ray screen.

Ie the process does not take place instantaneously. Importantly it takes place over a measurable period of time.

If you add "Accommodation" to the list, it therefore falls to be included on the "Objective", rather than "Subjective", side of the list.

Stephen Prower

Alpha:

Maybe add this to the list for a final and definitive definition of a term usually bandied about at will to denote expensive gear, but in reality, like the typical marketing gobbledegook, devoid of any real meaning. (It always reminds me of people calling Ferraris 'alpha' class cars, when really, when it comes to reliability, engineering, and general quality, they are third rate at best. Compared to the likes of Porsche or Audi [R8 anyone?] at least.)

I don't believe what you describe is accomodation.

Accommodation is the ability of the eye to change focus for different distances, by changing the curvature of the lens.

Paultricountry

I accept your invitation to add to your list of definitions.

I suggest "Accommodation".

I describe the process, as I undertand the basic principles of vision and perception, as follows:

The highly resolution central area of the eye (fovea) builds up an image of the scene before it by a series of random jumps (saltations) punctuated by point by point scrutiny of the individual elements that comprise the scene (fixations).

The process is best conceived by comparing it with the way that an image is built up on a cathode ray screen.

Ie the process does not take place instantaneously. Importantly it takes place over a measurable period of time.

If you add "Accommodation" to the list, it therefore falls to be included on the "Objective", rather than "Subjective", side of the list.

Stephen Prower
I think you mean "saccades" for Saltations.

Maljunulo

Accommodation

I've heard the word used in your sense too. But in the context of birdwatching, the activity which is the equivalent of changing the curvature of the lens of the eye is called "focussing", and as I understand, the separate activity of forming an image in the brain, whether an unfocussed image pre-focussing, or a focussed image post-focussing is called "accommodating".

It would be good to get this matter resolved. I am fallible. Maybe I have misappropriated the term "Accommodation" for a process that is correctly desribed by a different term.

The process I describe is real: I first read an authoritative description of it in a 1980 academic lierature review by Brian Hills called "Vision, visibility, and perception in driving". Hills gave figures of fixations per second that had been observed in certain driving situations. And the process Hills described is also described in Wikipedia.

Maybe a professional contributor will step in and help?

Stephen

Words and descriptions are nothing, pure fantasy.
My first look through a bino left me without words, it was pure wonder and amazement, now I'm left with no money and just some words, I don't know what to make of that
Thank you Elha8888 for that moment of Zen

Maljunulo

Accommodation

I've heard the word used in your sense too. But in the context of birdwatching, the activity which is the equivalent of changing the curvature of the lens of the eye is called "focussing", and as I understand, the separate activity of forming an image in the brain, whether an unfocussed image pre-focussing, or a focussed image post-focussing is called "accommodating".

It would be good to get this matter resolved. I am fallible. Maybe I have misappropriated the term "Accommodation" for a process that is correctly desribed by a different term.

The process I describe is real: I first read an authoritative description of it in a 1980 academic lierature review by Brian Hills called "Vision, visibility, and perception in driving". Hills gave figures of fixations per second that had been observed in certain driving situations. And the process Hills described is also described in Wikipedia.

Maybe a professional contributor will step in and help?

Stephen
Can you cite something to support your usage, which I have never heard?

This is the first one I came to, and may not be the best.

Wikipedia says this, which sounds to me like a textbook definition.
Accommodation is the process by which the vertebrate eye changes optical power to maintain a clear image or focus on an object as its distance varies.

I would very much like to know the source of your definition.

What you are describing is signal processing in the brain.

Last edited:
Maljunulo

Thank you for your speedy reply!

I have to go off to catch the shops. I shan't write a hasty reply, but will write when I return.

Stephen

Resolution: Something I promised around New Years day but forgot shortly
Transmission: A thing in my car that gets me through the gears enabling slow to fast.
Transparency: Never quite got this one. Why do you want to see through something?
Brightness: Binos are inanimate dumb things. Maybe this refers to the wisdom we use in decisions to buy?
Clarity: Of purpose?
Sharpness: Generally not thought of as a good thing unless we're talking knives, chisels, scissors..
Immersive: Oh, I love this one. Are we going swimming? Taking bath? Why do you wanna get in the thing?
Stereoscopic: Stereoscope - Wikipedia. Curiously doesn't mention binoculars.
Distortion: My new Cataract surgery astigmatism corrected eyes took care of this just fine. Binos are now great!
Globe effect/rolling ball: Yea, another fav. I often see tennis balls, soccer balls, other round human detritus floating around. Wish didn't.
Neutral: A place between gears, not going anywhere. No one on BF seems neutral about anything.
Warmness: Weather dependent. Prolly why they put that rubber stuff all over the place.
Cold: Not today. I feel fine.

Last edited:
Tom,

Resolution: Something I promised around New Years day but forgot shortly
Im in the gym 4 days a week and on the mat 3 days a week, I promised.

Transmission: A thing in my car that gets me through the gears enabling slow to fast.
Sorry, none of that in my Tesla.
Transparency: Never quite got this one. Why do you want to see through something?
I see the humor in the post , that is very transparent 😀.
Brightness: Binos are inanimate dumb things. Maybe this refers to the wisdom we use in decisions to buy?
Or lack thereof.
Clarity: Of purpose?
Hmmm 🤔
Sharpness: Generally not thought of as a good thing unless we're talking knives, chisels, scissors..
Or to know the difference in humor and sarcasm 🤭.
Immersive: Oh, I love this one. Are we going swimming? Taking bath? Why do you wanna get in the thing?
Not going there, there are ladies present.
Stereoscopic: Stereoscope - Wikipedia. Curiously doesn't mention binoculars.
I didn’t make it up, I promise I hear all the time here. You know from the porro guys, and the overly sensitive E2 lovers 😝

Distortion: My new Cataract surgery astigmatism corrected eyes took care of this just fine. Binos are now great!
Can’t think of anything ce lever on that one, and its to early on a Saturday to start my drinking.

Globe effect/rolling ball: Yea, another fav. I often see tennis balls, soccer balls, other round human detritus floating around. Wish didn't.
Are you near a tennis court or a soccer field when you see those things, maybe the meds need adjusting. 😜✌🏼.
Neutral: A place between gears, not going anywhere. No one on BF seems neutral about anything.
Again Tesla , direct drive, no neutral.
Warmness: Weather dependent. Prolly why they put that rubber stuff all over the place.
Dont know what Prolly means, but my bird says Polly wants a cracker 🦜
Cold: Not today. I feel fine.

🙏🏼✌🏼

Users who are viewing this thread

Back