• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Optics for a sea kayaker? (1 Viewer)

Mono

Hi!
Staff member
Supporter
Europe
I have a friend who is a birder and a sea kayaker. He is keen to mix the two. He is after some form of optic that is:-
  1. Small enough to live in a buoyancy aid pocket.
  2. Able to survive salt water immersion.
  3. Capable of being used one handed.
The new Pentax VM seems fit the bill, on 1 & 3 but not sure if its claimed waterproofness is up to snuff.

Anyone have any thoughts on possible solutions?

Using one handed is far from ideal, also likely budget. Surviving salt water spray is doable rather than immersion, through capsize! The Pentax does look survival as a robust monocular, suited for the purpose.

Another wee low mag/decent size exit pupil size option (and a binocular) is the Minox BD 7x28 IF but it is now discontinued. There's a similarly spec'ed Visionking 7x28 model but at £30 from Amazon it's presumably not great :cautious: A user review here :

I have the VisionKing 5x25 and although it would be great if properly made, one barrel is awful for resolution.
The field of 15 plus degrees is excellent.
I had to ask someone to get it for me, as I don't buy on the internet.
If I did I would buy 3 or 6 and hope I got one good one.

If buying the VisionKing 7x28 buy at least three and use the best one, and either junk the others or return them.

B.

This might sound crazy, but how about the Zeiss 8x25 Victory Pocket? Wash it off at the end of the day.
The Pentax might be OK. I'm not a fan of monoculars, but it is cheap ($120), so not much lost if it doesn't perform or hold up.
Another choice, durable and cheap, but narrow FOV and not as easy to see through is the Nikon 8x25 ProStaff.

--AP

Or the poor man's Zeiss VP, the Optisan Britec CR 7x21 :LOL:
Well it is spec'ed IPX7...

If one-handed use of the instrument is needed (presumably while the other hand is holding the paddle) then I would advise against the folding binoculars that have two hinges as you really need two hands to ensure they don't start folding when you apply pressure to the focus wheel. I have no idea how big the pocket is in a flotation device but Opticron's Discovery WA ED 8x32 is compact with dimensions 108x117x42 mm LxWxD and is waterproof. Ideally 7x magnification would be a better choice as the lower magnification helps steadiness to counteract the effects of choppy water, gusting wind and one-handed unsteadiness, but finding a compact 7x bino isn't easy and likely impossible. However if the paddle could be tethered to the kayak then two-handed use of the bino would be possible and greatly improve the quality of the image.

Lee

If one-handed use of the instrument is needed (presumably while the other hand is holding the paddle) then I would advise against the folding binoculars that have two hinges as you really need two hands to ensure they don't start folding when you apply pressure to the focus wheel. I have no idea how big the pocket is in a flotation device but Opticron's Discovery WA ED 8x32 is compact with dimensions 108x117x42 mm LxWxD and is waterproof. Ideally 7x magnification would be a better choice as the lower magnification helps steadiness to counteract the effects of choppy water, gusting wind and one-handed unsteadiness, but finding a compact 7x bino isn't easy and likely impossible. However if the paddle could be tethered to the kayak then two-handed use of the bino would be possible and greatly improve the quality of the image.

Lee
x2
I would also opine that a narrow field of view might not work well from a rocking sea kayak.

Looking out over the Bay side of my fav birding trail are small... what do you call them?..... water ways that pass through the marsh. They are mostly just beyond where good bird identifying detail, can be seen from the path, though there's plenty of birds to wonder about. Ive long thought about, and wished for a kayak, so that I could paddle those places and get closer. Having capsized a canoe once, years ago in a New England salt marsh on a 20 degree day, trying to turn about in one of those skinny water paths, I worried about what binos I would take to kayak here. The little Zeiss Pockets seem about perfect, do to size, weight, optics, given the other gear to include paddle, I'd need to keep track of. I'm not sure though, I'd be happy to dunk them in the salt. Buying something less, to see less, seems a frustration though.

Last week, hiking with a fellow birder encountered on the trail, we saw a guy in a kayak paddling along exactly where I wanted to be. Envy, turned to surprise, then a bit of controversy, as my birding acquaintance started to yell at the guy to get out of there and stop disturbing the birds! Yikes. I confessed to her, that was exactly where I wanted to be and was surprised that the occasional paddler deserved such criticism. It was sort of fun, but maybe not so much fun for the birds, to see the flocks rise up, circle and then settle back down behind, as the kayaker passed. Harm?

So maybe for me, here, it's not such a great idea, but still. I wonder what others think?

I have a friend who is a birder and a sea kayaker. He is keen to mix the two. He is after some form of optic that is:-
  1. Small enough to live in a buoyancy aid pocket.
  2. Able to survive salt water immersion.
  3. Capable of being used one handed.
The new Pentax VM seems fit the bill, on 1 & 3 but not sure if its claimed waterproofness is up to snuff.

Anyone have any thoughts on possible solutions?
I think the criteria set down are good.

Obviously Image Stabilisation would come in very handy though not sure any would survive Saltwater immersion. (On that note I would be carrying lens cleaning solution and lint free lens cloth to use regularly no matter what the final choice)

As large an Exit Pupil as possible will help with the eye placement in practice, as will a generous randpupille design.

As an upper limit for one handed use, the Swarovski 8x32 SV, or new 8x30 Companion should work while offering those benefits.

Perhaps one of the compact 8x30's (Nikon Monarch HG, Kite/Opticron etc) would work well too .....

Otherwise I think I might be inclined to go with one of the reverse porros in 7,8, or 9x ....

Chosun 🙎‍♀️

Get something with a real good warranty and maybe don't spend that much to start with.

I got a West Marine brand 7 power years ago. I used it occasionally in a sailing kayak and even with a good rinse parts in the twist up eyepiece rusted out. After quite a few years I returned it and got a full store credit...

My wife and I got interested in birding through our sea kayaking adventures. Our experience in lakes, rivers, coastal bays and beyond is with our normal land birding, Nikon Monarch 8X binoculars. We found it is difficult to keep the bins steady in any wave or wind activity. Birds would have to be close or conditions placid for identification. Once the water gets a little rough, the bins get stowed in a handy dry bag. At certain times, I have hung the bins around my neck and then donned my paddling jacket which protects them from splash but keeps them handy. At least on our boats, there are multiple ways to stow a paddle to temporarily use binoculars.
Those Monarchs have been on multiple water excursions but still work fine, never have been dunked.

Steve

I've never really wished for binoculars whilst sea kayaking - mostly what I've wished for is not to capsize, and to remain dry ! (also that my partner would paddle more like an iron-man, and less like a tyrannosaurus rex ! 😄)

I think I'd probably wear them around the neck, tucked into the lifejacket .....

The need for greater EP to help the view is diametrically opposed to size and weight. If I was doing a lot of ocean based kayaking, I might even consider a lightweight 42, like the Nikon Monarch 8x42 for it's 5mm+ EP, otherwise I think around 4mm suits. I have no idea how the mechanics would hold up long term in such a corrosive environment .....

One thing that is essential though would be tethers, or secure holder for the paddle.

Chosun 🙆‍♀️

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back