• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron Imagics or Viking Vistron (1 Viewer)

mcepjg

Peter
I am looking for a pair of binoculars. Ones that will last me a long long time. I have read that viking vistons and opticron imagics porro prisms are good and I am trying to decide which to buy or if indeed I should buy either.

I am going to use them for everyday birdwatching so I am going to get 8x40's. Any other suggestions for binoculars will be noted but it is very important that they have the following features.

Waterproof
Closefocus (3m or less)
Rubber armouring
Good quality bright image
Decent field of view

Please let me know what you think. I have tried both in a shop but they both seemed the same I don't know how they will fair in poor light.

I've been led to believe that the opticrons will have better quality image but the viking vistrons will be more durable. which do you think are best.

Regards Peter 8-P <-- I bet this is the least used smiley ever

These bins' are roof prisms i believe,any of them are good if not v.v. good bins.If it helps i know of two rspb volunteers who've bought the vistrons recently after being able to compare with all the other bins in the reserve shop.I'm also thinking of getting a pair to keep in the car.

I know you get a thirty year guarentee with the opticrons but at the same time porro prisms are more vulnerable to getting knocked. also if the lenses did get knocked out of position would it cost more than a standard pair of porros to fix because of the fact they are waterproof?

mcepjg said:
I am looking for a pair of binoculars. Ones that will last me a long long time. I have read that viking vistons and opticron imagics porro prisms are good and I am trying to decide which to buy or if indeed I should buy either.

I am going to use them for everyday birdwatching so I am going to get 8x40's. Any other suggestions for binoculars will be noted but it is very important that they have the following features.

Waterproof
Closefocus (3m or less)
Rubber armouring
Good quality bright image
Decent field of view

Please let me know what you think. I have tried both in a shop but they both seemed the same I don't know how they will fair in poor light.

I've been led to believe that the opticrons will have better quality image but the viking vistrons will be more durable. which do you think are best.

Regards Peter 8-P <-- I bet this is the least used smiley ever
Nikon HGs are still on an amazing offer at Warehouse Express, I believe. Nothing remotley near to their price comes close optically and mechanically.

In my experience Opticron are pretty durable. I've owned the 8x40 High Resolution for over 17 years and the 10x50 version for 14 years. The 8x40 in particular has been very well used and still provides amazing performance. Haven't tried the Viking.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back