• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Only 3 wild Bali Myna survive today! (1 Viewer)

That’s what the local rangers of Bali Barat National Park told me on a recent visit, just 3 birds…
I did a new article/trip report which might be of interest as it includes some up to date info on the Starlings, the national park, the conservation project and of course contains plenty photos of both the birds and park scenery.
Here’s a few lines from the report;

It’s amazing isn’t it? I mean, Bali Starling barely ever made it in the spotlight of the international birding community in the last 5 years and for birders to go on a trip and actually see the last remaining wild individuals simply hasn’t been popular. Why? Perhaps as usual, it’s just not enough known that this trip is so easy done and I guess few ever realized how urgent it has become for those wishing to see an un-ringed Bali Starling, a bird raised by nature, not by man in a cage. I do sincerely hope to boost awareness here and as ever, with ecotourism the key to conservation, I believe this must be good.

Enjoy reading and feel free to post any comments you may have;
http://www.birding2asia.com/TripReports/BaliBarat2010.html

Cheers

cant believe over 900 views no one has made comment what are we doing????

Doing? Do you mean man destroying the environment? or the efforts to protect the Bali Myna?

The functional extinction in the wild of this species is a tragedy but an inevitable consequence of habitat loss (linked to global, regional and local overpopulation) and - latterly - criminal gangs stealing released birds. Plenty more of this to come in the next decades.

cheers, alan

I will be in Bali in May 2012 and would love to do a trip to see the Bali Mynas. I will be with a group with a schedule, but there is one "free day" where we can do what we like. How did you set up this trip (what tour company etc.), and how long of drive was it to the park from Kuta? It doesn't look that far but with the small roads who knows. Was it a reasonable day trip?

Thanks for any info!

Cant believe over 900 views with no comments dont you care

hagar1 - I guess a sad fact of life that there are always more people on the Rarities thread than on the Conservation one.

I know it's probably mean of me to say it but I often think that far more energy from birders goes into collecting the tick and then comparing lists than actively trying to save species for the future in whatever way this might be possible. Having said that, I'm not sure what can acheived once a specis reaches this critical situation - as much as it pains me to say.

There are of course many birders who do their fair share in terms of volunteering, fund raising etc

Robin

Another thing is that protecting the birds is in the hands of Indonesian government, which has less than brilliant record of conservation. Think sumatran orangutans, rhinos etc.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back