• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

One thousand and counting (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

Worst person on Birdforum
Cyprus
Just purchased this excellent title, not only is it incredibly informative and I'd say essential for anyone looking for butterflies in Cyprus, it's also my 1000th, wildlife book.

Also managed to pick this up from Book Depository at a significant discount although it seems I may have bought the last one.

Last edited:
I envy how much shelf space you have!
The first shot is four, 4m shelves that I built, the last shot is the New Naturalist set, kept in a dark room as the covers are susceptible to fading which affects value and desirability.

Attachments

• P8132497.JPG
    P8132497.JPG
    582.5 KB · Views: 87
  • P8132493.JPG
    P8132493.JPG
    581.4 KB · Views: 83
  • P8132494.JPG
    P8132494.JPG
    566.4 KB · Views: 83
  • P8132496.JPG
    P8132496.JPG
    587.1 KB · Views: 83
So you plan to resell these books and make money on them?
No, not at all, I hope that at least one of my children will inherit my love of nature and keep the collection together.

Quite a number of the books are worth more than I paid for them but many of them are dated and not worth much at all. The cost of my collection, amassed over forty years is c£50k but I doubt I'd get half of that back in resale.

I always buy new site guides, even if i have no imminent plans to go to a place, they can become hard to get, very quickly, Valqui's Peru for one.

Last edited:
Beautiful collection Andy, amazing! As bibliophiliac I'm drooling over here, just wow.... I can't financially indulge like that but still find myself splurging on buying sprees when a new interest is sparked. If we lived closer together I'd love to come see it all and drool all over it... I see you got your NN collection (wow! just wow!) in plastic so that's covered and protected for that admiring behavior.... lol.

Just not able to withstand being a bit of an arse, just as everyone asks me when they see my collection (mainly old Theosophy, old interest, and now also loads of bird/insects books) : and...have you read them all? Whaha :LOL:

Really wow, more pics are welcome!

Last edited:
Beautiful collection Andy, amazing! As bibliophiliac I'm drooling over here, just wow.... I can't financially indulge like that but still find myself splurging on buying sprees when a new interest is sparked. If we lived closer together I'd love to come see it all and drool all over it... I see you got your NN collection (wow! just wow!) in plastic so that's covered and protected for that admiring behavior.... lol.

Just not able to withstand being a bit of an arse, just as everyone asks me when they see my collection (mainly old Theosophy, old hobby, and now also loads of bird/insects books) : and...have you read them all? Whaha :LOL:

Really wow, more pics are welcome!
If you consider how long I've been at it, it's not that expensive a hobby, just over c£100 per month for forty years. It gets expensive if you fall behind and have to buy a set or a lot of books to complete a set so that's why I just buy anything I want or feel will be of practical value at some point, as soon as it comes out.

This is the most expensive set, the last three volumes are often for sale at £600-1000 each.

Attachments

• P8142509.JPG
    P8142509.JPG
    592.3 KB · Views: 64
If you consider how long I've been at it, it's not that expensive a hobby, just over c£100 per month for forty years. It gets expensive if you fall behind and have to buy a set or a lot of books to complete a set so that's why I just buy anything I want or feel will be of practical value at some point, as soon as it comes out.

This is the most expensive set, the last three volumes are often for sale at £600-1000 each.
Hmm, 2 parts 7 for €300... wow, part 6 cheapest on Abe for €1000 right now, crazy. Lol, whole set here in Netherlands for sale for around 3k... No, I'm not going to buy that haha :) Nice.

Anyone wanting this, there's a very reasonably priced one on Amazon now.

This ought to have been superseded by the web (and possibly ebird). It's inevitable that many Valqui sites have been degraded or destroyed by now

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back