• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

One place birds (1 Viewer)

I have seen Blakiston fish owl in a different place (in the wild) some days before the washi-no-yado bird at the minshuku.

I know of someone who has seen Giant antpitta on the Guacamayos ridge.

I wonder if this thread is about species that aren’t super rare but seem to be seen only at one site, more than about super rare species (which are obviously more seen at only one or two places as their range is so restricted, e.g. cherry-throated tanager).

I hope it’s about the first case (not that rare but not easy to find). Examples of those are Mountain peacock pheasant, Bulwer’s pheasant, Cundinamarca antpitta, Urrao antpitta, … so mostly feeder birds spring to my mind. Non feeder birds are probably harder to mention?

Yes, I meant mostly birds which are quite widespread, but only seen at one place and the same birds, because everybody goes to the same place.

Gunnison Sage Grouse could be a North American example. Here, however, more birds are seen.

Grauer's Broadbill isn't seen much away from the Ruhija part of Bwindi Impenetrable Forest, Uganda. Probably very few individual birds are involved in most sightings.

Also in Uganda, Green-breasted Pitta is mostly seen at Kibale, even though it's a reasonably widespread species. Again, probably only a small number of birds are involved in most sightings.

Black-breasted Barbet isn't seen much away from Kidepo National Park, although again it's fairly widespread.

Banded Ground Cuckoo is another. While they are seen elsewhere, I bet the vast majority of sightings refer to just a couple of individuals.

Yes, I meant mostly birds which are quite widespread, but only seen at one place and the same birds, because everybody goes to the same place.

Gunnison Sage Grouse could be a North American example. Here, however, more birds are seen.
I've seen Gunnison Sage Grouse away from a lek site in midsummer, but I would guess that most people have visited one of the few open leks.

Peru must have a lot of places where everyone only sees a particular species at a particular spot, that's either the same bird(s) or their offspring. To name but one, the Long-whiskered Owlet site has 4 species that spring to mind that I'd guess "everyone" will either see there or nowhere else

In Bolsa Chica Wetland Preserve there was this pair of Reddish Egrets you would often see, which was neat as they normally aren't around anywhere in south California. I even saw a third one with them once.

That was around 2012. Last post I saw on here mentioning or photographing them was in 2019 I believe.

In Bolsa Chica Wetland Preserve there was this pair of Reddish Egrets you would often see, which was neat as they normally aren't around anywhere in south California. I even saw a third one with them once.

That was around 2012. Last post I saw on here mentioning or photographing them was in 2019 I believe.

There were 2 there in August 2023.

Peru must have a lot of places where everyone only sees a particular species at a particular spot, that's either the same bird(s) or their offspring. To name but one, the Long-whiskered Owlet site has 4 species that spring to mind that I'd guess "everyone" will either see there or nowhere else

But there are other sites nearby (Fundación Alto Nieve etc) for those species so it’s really a smallish set of sites along a road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back