• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

One day in Brisbane w/o car (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
Hi,
As stated before, I will be in Queensland for a meeting and some vacation this August. This particular RFI is for August 5th, which is a day that I have available before my meeting starts; unfortunately, I dont have a car for that day. Staying in a hotel in central Brisbane, what would you do to get some birding in? Which location and how to get there?

We are now in July. What have this wet season been like in Queensland, has the reservoirs and swamps filled up, or is it more of a drought situation?

thanks
Niels

Take a river trip - should get Fruit Bats in the trees alongside the river and you end up at a nearby reserve where they rehabilitate Koala's. Otherwise try any of the major parks.

Hi Niels

Most of my birding in Brisbane has been in the western suburbs (where you need a car) but without a car you could head to Mt Coot-tha Botanic Gardens and Mt Coot-tha Reserve, easily reached by public transport or taxi from central Brisbane. Admittedly it was pretty quiet last time I was there but that was in the middle of the afternoon, I'm sure there's a lot of activity earlier in the mornings. The Reserve itself has a nice selction of trails through native woodlands (badly affected by fire when I was there in 2004). Could get busy at the weekends (it's a Saturday I think August 5) so an early start would be a good idea.
I hope that Pete Woodall or Tom Tarrant notice this thread as they'll be able to provide you with far more concrete information.

E

PhilW said:
Take a river trip - should get Fruit Bats in the trees alongside the river and you end up at a nearby reserve where they rehabilitate Koala's. Otherwise try any of the major parks.

The City Cat is cheapish from memory, and works on a "zone" system - pay for a full day pass (I think it's less than a fiver) and try a variety of stops! There's also bits and pieces in the suburbs, nowhere specific, just wander around the leafier looking areas.

...and as Edward suggests, Mt Coot-tha is well worth a look, about 4-5 miles from CBD I'd guess, definitely a morning or evening visit needed.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back