• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

One day birding trip from Delhi (1 Viewer)

ekopa

Hello!

I am planning to come to Delhi this Thursday and would like to spend one day birding.
I am thinking of going to Sultanpur/Basai. Is it the best place for a 1 day trip this season?
I am trying to come up with a good itinary. I think I might take a taxi from Delhi to Basai, spend some time there and then go to Sultanpur.
A couple of things I would appreciate your help on
- I cannot find the exact point where to go to Basai
- Will it be difficult to find a taxi to go from Basai to Sultanpur?
- What time does Sultanpur open?

BTW, is there a good place near Delhi where I can go for grassland/forest species (a drier habitat than that of the Sultanpur/Basai)?

Thank you very much
Aleksey

I think that going to Basai then Sultanpur is great. You may miss some of the migrants this time of year. But you'll still get a bunch of great stuff.

If you go to my site I have a google map with the exact entrances to basai. Note that the entrance to Basai is just a dirt road. There is no sign. You will know you are there when you are surrounded by reed beds and hyacinth filled ponds.

I wouldn't want to try and find a taxi around Basai, though it is certainly possible. I would rent a taxi for the whole day and use him to take you from place to place.

Sultanpur opens at 7. They may take a few mins to open up, so I wouldn't get there right at 7.

Asola is supposed to be the best grassland/scrub area around. But I haven't made it out there yet. There are certainly other great places to go. Lets see if anyone else has advice about it.

Good luck!

Thank you very much! I will try and visit Sultanpur and Basai and also have a quick look at Central Ridge Reserve Forest, as I will be staying nearby

I'm calling into Delhi in a couple of weeks time and I'm desperate to see Brooks's Leaf Warbler. Does anyone know if there are there any 'certain' wintering individuals in the area?

Sultanpur is a good site. The guide that works there said they hadnt arrived when we were there November but they should be now. They would be in the acacia trees. The guides name was Sanjay and he approached us when we went in and was excellent.Hope this is of some help

Last edited:
He also showed us Sind Sparrow, Red throated Flycatcher and Indian Scops Owl among many others.

Last edited:
Monkir,
Thanks for this. I met Sanjay Sharma a couple of years ago as I arrived there. He took me to the back of the reserve for Indian courser, sind sparrow and brown-bellied sandgrouse. I think I have his contact details so I'll drop him a line.
Nick

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back