• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

OK, advise me where I can go tomorrow... (1 Viewer)

theMusicMan

Here's a challenge for you. I thought I'd try my luck at asking you good folk where you feel it might be good for me to go for around 4-5 hours bird spotting tomorrow.

I am located in Newport, Gwent, and wouldn't mind traveling an hour or so in any direction, but I would like to be somewhere remote, and to be able to sit in my new Popup camo tent and try out some photo shots of whatever birds you feel might be there.

So, starting point Newport - you advise me where I could go, remember; remote(ish) or quiet would suffice, woodland (preferably) or pond/reservoir, river/stream side, few people (if any), birds (must have 'em).

Any takers...? Advise me... :) Please can you also provide a grid ref for me. Ta.

Last edited:
Llanvihangel Gobian, simply so someone can come on the forum tomorrow evening and tell me how my old local patch is going. And if you want woodland, Priory Wood (?), just near the bridge half way between Usk and Llanvihangel Gobian. Maybe not the absolute best time, but should be enough action for one visit.

Hey Jos - do you have an SO Grid ref pls...?

You are optimistic, I am 2360 km to the east of Llanvihangel Gobian just now and the local shops don't seem to do a roaring trade in South Wales OS maps ;)

Anyhow, it is easy to describe - from Usk, take the B4598 north. After about three miles, you get to Chain Bridge (a turning to the right just before the bridge gets you to the Priory Wood that I mentioned). About three more miles along the B4598 and you reach another bridge over the River Usk - this is Llanvihangel Gobian. Park near this bridge and walk upriver (ie left as you approach from Usk). You can walk either side of the river, but I preferred the north side (ie over the bridge from Usk direction). A walk of less than a mile will get to you shingle banks and the old ox-box (which was part of the river when I first started visiting the place!). Small pools here contain Common and Green Sandpipers, etc, whilst the shingle has LRP. Goosanders, etc are on the river.

I guess nothing much has changed, though it is over a decade since I have visited the place now (I used to go almost every day!) ...I just looked at the satellite and it seems much as I left it, take good care of my local patch if you do decide to go ;)

i poped in on the bird race, we park over by the old barn just down stream from the bryn and there were plenty of things to see including LRP, yellow wagtails have also been seen this year aswell. the barn is at SO338098. the bridge Jos mentioned is at SO384089

Thanks Luke, but I must show my ignorance here and ask... what's an LRP...? (sorry)

Also, the 2nd grid ref is not correct...! No bridge there...:)

Also, the 2nd grid ref is not correct...! No bridge there...:)

Don't worry about the grid reference, the bridge is there ;) You can't miss it - you drive straight over it! When you get to the oxbow I mentioned, if you walked on the Usk side of the river, the wood on your left has a heronry and the barn often used to have Little Owl, etc. Lots of warblers too. There used to be a fantastic Walnut tree here too, but the river changed course and swallowed it!

Little Ringed Plover

Thanks Marmot - I am showing my noobieness to bird watching here eh! Thanks for the heads-up.:t:

Don't worry about the grid reference, the bridge is there ;) You can't miss it - you drive straight over it! When you get to the oxbow I mentioned, if you walked on the Usk side of the river, the wood on your left has a heronry and the barn often used to have Little Owl, etc. Lots of warblers too. There used to be a fantastic Walnut tree here too, but the river changed course and swallowed it!

Ahhh, but Jos, the grid reference Luke posted shows no bridge... here's the GoogleMap link to that location...B :)

opps go west in a straight line about a mile or so you'll see a bridge then!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back