• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Odd wader - Kent (1 Viewer)

Richard D

what was that...
Supporter
United Kingdom
IMG_20220217_084130_HDR~2.jpg
I can't make my mind up on this one. Almost Redshank size, medium short black bill, pale grey legs, grey with no hint of olive or brown. Slight black streaks to crown. Apologies for photo

Hello,
it seems Sanderling to me, I agree wit Butty. Yes, quiz-modus, but:
  • you saw a medium short black bill (evident and clear black bill is a feature against Dunlin and other common waders, which have blackish bill. But stoutness of a Sanderlings bill enhances this in such bad pictures)
Edit: answer is there, tanks Butty!

Edit 2: after downloading the picture, I think a Knot (the most similar wader to this picture imo) should show a darker head and a extensive washed grey breast. Narrow, clear-cut streak to the bereast-side is good for a Sanderling, as Butty has sad already.

A Greenschank should look not so stout in this picture and has a longer bill.

So, its a Sanderling for me, as Butty has already said.

I'd have said it was too big for a Sanderling - very close to Redshank size, and darker (photos don't really show that well) than Sanderling.

Don't Sanderling have distinctly black legs rather than pale grey? Knot was in my thoughts - leg colour fits better.

Location is tidal creek a mile or so inland.

I thought it was a gull at a glance! (Possibly a comment on the photo ;-) )

Have to admit not getting a Sanderling vibe myself - I know size of lone birds can be deceptive - but this does look bigger bird. Also behaviour for a lone Sanderling odd.

I'd have said it was too big for a Sanderling - very close to Redshank size, and darker (photos don't really show that well) than Sanderling.

Don't Sanderling have distinctly black legs rather than pale grey? Knot was in my thoughts - leg colour fits better.

Location is tidal creek a mile or so inland.
Afternoon.

Can I ask where you took the photo please. Some creeks have different waders to others. Milton Creek in Sittingbourne is good for Spotted Redshank & Greenshank then others Conyer or Oare for example.

I’m guessing you bird is probably a Greenshank but a location would assist.

Regards.

Afternoon.

Can I ask where you took the photo please. Some creeks have different waders to others. Milton Creek in Sittingbourne is good for Spotted Redshank & Greenshank then others Conyer or Oare for example.

I’m guessing you bird is probably a Greenshank but a location would assist.

Regards.
Faversham - right by the brewery outlet pipe (not far from Morrisons where I was heading) Normally that far into town it's only Redshank. I'm pretty familiar with Greenshank (often see one around Hollowshore) and the bill and legs looked much too short, but the bird was distant and in shade and I didn't have binoculars with me... I'm wondering whether it could be a first winter knot?

Faversham - right by the brewery outlet pipe (not far from Morrisons where I was heading) Normally that far into town it's only Redshank. I'm pretty familiar with Greenshank (often see one around Hollowshore) and the bill and legs looked much too short, but the bird was distant and in shade and I didn't have binoculars with me... I'm wondering whether it could be a first winter knot?
Evening.

I was just up from that area today, visiting Stonebridge Pond and walking the Westbrook stream. Anyway, thank you for the location. I know Knot are seen at Seasalter but I haven’t seen any further round Graveney Marshes or up the creeks. That’s not to say they aren’t around, just I haven’t seen them.

My best guess is a Greenshank but if you post on the Kent Ornithological Society Facebook page and get other local opinions. Someone else might also have seen the bird.

Regards

Evening.

I was just up from that area today, visiting Stonebridge Pond and walking the Westbrook stream. Anyway, thank you for the location. I know Knot are seen at Seasalter but I haven’t seen any further round Graveney Marshes or up the creeks. That’s not to say they aren’t around, just I haven’t seen them.

My best guess is a Greenshank but if you post on the Kent Ornithological Society Facebook page and get other local opinions. Someone else might also have seen the bird.

Regards
Thanks Sandy,

I'm kicking myself for not having bins with me - it was a quick shopping trip, but I was looking out for Grey Wagtails which for the last 20 years have seemed ever present over winter that end of the creek, but are few and far between this year.

The sun was low over the brewery bottling hall so the bird was very much in the shade, but it looked too compact for a Greenshank. It would be the first knot I've seen closer to town than Hollowshore. You get a bit more variety from the Sewage farm out to Hollowshore, but it's pretty much pure Redshank territory that close in (well and increasingly the odd Oystercatcher that seem to me moving inwards).

I can't say I'm that familiar with Knot in winter plumage, and I'm no wader expert, but I've been a casual birder for 35 yrs and it's rare that I'm unsure on common species, so it's bugging me! It might be the context - I usually see Knot in groups, or at least feeding with other waders. Greenshank I do see on their own and it could be a poor view could be confusing me...

Regards,

Richard

Thanks Sandy,

I'm kicking myself for not having bins with me - it was a quick shopping trip, but I was looking out for Grey Wagtails which for the last 20 years have seemed ever present over winter that end of the creek, but are few and far between this year.

The sun was low over the brewery bottling hall so the bird was very much in the shade, but it looked too compact for a Greenshank. It would be the first knot I've seen closer to town than Hollowshore. You get a bit more variety from the Sewage farm out to Hollowshore, but it's pretty much pure Redshank territory that close in (well and increasingly the odd Oystercatcher that seem to me moving inwards).

I can't say I'm that familiar with Knot in winter plumage, and I'm no wader expert, but I've been a casual birder for 35 yrs and it's rare that I'm unsure on common species, so it's bugging me! It might be the context - I usually see Knot in groups, or at least feeding with other waders. Greenshank I do see on their own and it could be a poor view could be confusing me...

Regards,

Richard
I have heard from a few people that the head of the Creek is good for Grey Wagtail. I normally see them at Oare Gunpowder Works and adjacent fishing lake(s).

The sewage farm is another place that has been suggested to me that I’m hoping to explore this year.

Regards

I have heard from a few people that the head of the Creek is good for Grey Wagtail. I normally see them at Oare Gunpowder Works and adjacent fishing lake(s).

The sewage farm is another place that has been suggested to me that I’m hoping to explore this year.

Regards
Almost every winter there's around 4 Grey Wagtail by the small bridge opposite the Stonebridge Pond Entrance on most visits, but this year I've just seen one individual on one occasion...

The sewage farm area is pretty good for waders, particularly if we get a cold spell - occasional Avocet, Dunlin, Common Sandpiper, Lapwing amongst the Redshank and Oystercatchers. Quiet this winter with the mild weather, although there was a Rock Pipit hanging round last week. The bushes around the sewage farm are good, and the hedgerow up from there to where the path divides between Nagden and Graveney often has Yellowhammer. Finch numbers seem very low this year, but in other years I've seen Brambling, Siskin and Bullfinch in that area.

If this helps, my first thought was Greenshank and could not make it into a Sanderling (at all) or Knot after reading other's answers. Obviously not an ID, given the material available, but that's the impression I get.

Hello Richard,
thanks to you and all for this interesting discussion (what can be squeezed out of a picture like this) and to the KOS FB group for pictures and identification.
Presumed, that this is indeed a Greenshank, I see now, that the dark breast patch seems to bend downwoards which fits some Greenshank well.

I hope this doesnt come out as an offense. But you know I take such bad quality pictures regulary and I want to learn more, what can be squeezed out of them:
I hope that Jogresh, Sandy and Dan, Rafael and Sicklebill can expand their gut feeling of the right answer, thanks!
Because even when knowing, that judgement of bill-length and size (most Greenshanks are slightly, but notable larger than Redshanks) was wrong (no offense), I struggle to eliminate a Sanderling with this picture:
  • at first I thought, the bird appears as a stocky wader, but with a fresh mind I think it seems that the bird has a large head in relation to the well nourished body
  • head seems as white/pale as the underparts with appearantly no contrast= good Sanderling jizz and nearly a feature against other waders imo
  • blackish shoulderpatch seems ok positioned and just about right for a Sanderling
  • yes field guides show Greenshanks with a greenish or yellow tinge to the grey legs, but birds with colourless grey ones are regular. So the colour you described, is a pro Greenshank feature, yes.
  • I get a feeling of an ill=weakened bird. And such a poor wader often gives the impression of a different species. But thats a gut impression I got of of many Calidris species, for example notable in a Knot. Thats different to other birds. A weak Blackbird still gives the impression of a Blackbird, .... And I thought to see this here, too.
  • yes, I see what appears to be a steep forehead and the appearant angle where the bill joins the forehead seems ok for a Greenshank, when knowing this has to be a Greenshank. But as said the head appears to large for a Greenshank and therefore adds to the Sanderling-jizz imo.

It would help me to gain experience if I can compare this to the good pictures of the Greenshank. Is it possible to see them? You know thats a serious question.
Because this picture here is different to the recent Buzzard thread, where the new pictures changed the jizz slightly from Sparrowhawk to CB-gut feeling (and yes, other comments surely too. Thanks!)

Almost every winter there's around 4 Grey Wagtail by the small bridge opposite the Stonebridge Pond Entrance on most visits, but this year I've just seen one individual on one occasion...

The sewage farm area is pretty good for waders, particularly if we get a cold spell - occasional Avocet, Dunlin, Common Sandpiper, Lapwing amongst the Redshank and Oystercatchers. Quiet this winter with the mild weather, although there was a Rock Pipit hanging round last week. The bushes around the sewage farm are good, and the hedgerow up from there to where the path divides between Nagden and Graveney often has Yellowhammer. Finch numbers seem very low this year, but in other years I've seen Brambling, Siskin and Bullfinch in that area.
Thank you for the information.

Regards

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back