• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Oare Marsh.KWT Reserve (1 Viewer)

Kenboy

As a volunteer my wife and I man the visitors Centre at Oare every other sunday.Its a great place to watch birds from as they are so close at times.There are 2 hidesat the moment,1overlooking the east scrape and 1 overlooking the west.There are also good views of the Swale and quite often there are common seals on Horse Sands.There are plans in the pipeline to improve the reserve ,I will update very soon.(Sorry folks the only drawback is that there are no toilets on site,the nearest ones are in Oare Village)The centre is only open on saturdays and Sundays .The visitors centre is opposite the car
park.The view from the upstairs windows overlooks the Swale.The path to the East Hide is not too bad but pushing a
wheelchair is really out of the question and the West Hide is a
no-no for the disabled.There are plans to put a new hide on the point where the swale comes into the creek but I dont know when this will be and I believe the East Hide is going to be
increased in size.If you are planning to walk to the hides especially after a downpour take care as it can get pretty muddy at times

Last edited:
Firstly, Welcome to BF.

Oare is a terrific site, I must admit though that every time I have not noticed a visitor centre! I do know that the access for disbled people is being or has been improved lately.

I've only ever been there during the week,so haven't been in the Visitor Centre,but where would things be without volunteers?
Ashley is right it is a great site and there are times (when viewing from the access road in)that the birds on the East scrape are incredibly close.
Hope you enjoy Bird Forum.

Welcome to Bird Forum on behalf of Admin and the Moderators! I've heard of your reserve, although I have never been there. It's very good to have you with us. Is your wife also a member? Perhaps you could post some further details about Oare in the county index. In the meantime, have fun on BF!

A quick visit to Oare this afternoon. A brand spanking new hide at the point - will be great in when the northerlies blow. Also a new expanded East Hide. Shame the tide was all wrong when we were there (still 300+ Blackwits/a few distant Curlew Sand

We've been to Oare quite a bit recently and the new hides make a real difference to a very good reserve. Anyone who doesn't know Oare should give it a visit if they are in Kent - particularly at migration times.

And just to prove that they are not always distant. This was taken from the road.

Attachments

• curlewsand.jpg
    curlewsand.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 323
Must get to Oare. Sounds and looks great! Went to Castle Water, Rye Harbour Reserve today. Didn't see much at all very nice walk past Camber Castle however. Then on to Dungeness, not much there either. Definitely going to give Oare a go soon.

The 2 new hides are now up and running at Oare. The 1 that overlooks the scrape is now bigger and slightly closer than the old one and the pathway to it is totally accessible for disabled birders. The new hide that is now on the point is well positioned for sea watching, looking towards Shellness and South Swale,giving good views all round.And It is now easy going for anyone who wants to do the circular walk as there are wooden benches set out at reasonable distances.There is now some hard standing parking for the disabled .

Thinking about a day at Oare in late February/early March. Might take my dad, who has never been birdwatching before. Is there much about at that time of year? Anything in particular to look out for? Are the tides a consideration in choosing a date (if so, any advice would be welcome)?

Oare is always worth a visit. Check out here for the latest information.

You always get more on the scrapes around high tide - you can always check here for the times. At low tide the Common Seals can often be send on the sand bank in the Swale.

robinm said:
Oare is always worth a visit. Check out here for the latest information.

You always get more on the scrapes around high tide - you can always check here for the times. At low tide the Common Seals can often be send on the sand bank in the Swale.

Hiya!
Not having a car at present, what would be the best way to get to Oare? Is there a station (Faversham?) nearby with connecting bus/cab service? Many thanks!

wetlands_wedge said:
Hiya!
Not having a car at present, what would be the best way to get to Oare? Is there a station (Faversham?) nearby with connecting bus/cab service? Many thanks!
The nearest station is Faversham - I'm sure you could get a cab. I believe there is a bus service to Oare village but that is still a longish walk to the reserve. Perhaps the "locals" may be able to help more.

wetlands_wedge said:
Hiya!

Quite happy to give you a lift back to the station if you happen to be there at the same time as me!

Makes me wonder if anyone's thought of setting up a car sharing scheme for birders?

robinm said:
The nearest station is Faversham - I'm sure you could get a cab. I believe there is a bus service to Oare village but that is still a longish walk to the reserve. Perhaps the "locals" may be able to help more.

Many thanks for that, I shall be coming to Oare quite soon!

GrumpyEagle said:
Quite happy to give you a lift back to the station if you happen to be there at the same time as me!

Makes me wonder if anyone's thought of setting up a car sharing scheme for birders?

Cheers for that! I will take you up on your offer ;) I will keep my eye on this thread as I intend coming over sooner rather than later! Many thanks once again!

Two questions!

Can I download a site map anywhere?

And.

Are there any WCs on site yet? (May need to 'lighten load' before arriving!)

Also.

What is the best tide to be at Oare? On the tidetables, does the depth refer to 'at midnight'?, 'midday'? Sorry, I am a landlubber!

Last edited:
wetlands_wedge said:
Can I download a site map anywhere?
See here http://www.kentwildlifetrust.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=67&Itemid=109 You can pick usually up a leaflet in the hides when you get there.

wetlands_wedge said:
And.

Are there any WCs on site yet? (May need to 'lighten load' before arriving!)
No. Nor are there ever likely to be.

wetlands_wedge said:
Also.

What is the best tide to be at Oare? On the tidetables, does the depth refer to 'at midnight'?, 'midday'? Sorry, I am a landlubber!
High tide and the hour or so running up to it is best, although any time you can do some good birding. In most tide tables the height is shown next to the time of either high or low tide. The height is (usually) less than important than the time of the high tide.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back