• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Notts Owls (1 Viewer)

ChrisLuv

Improving Birder
Hi all,

Would be great if anyone could let me know any good watch points for owls (any species) in Notts (ideally around J26 of M1)?

Thanks,
Chris

Went to Erewash Meadows this morning, early. So now I'm able to answer my own question ;)

From the viewing platform overlooking the reserve, near the railway embankment, I was able to watch a Barn Owl hunting for a good 5 minutes. Amazing views as it flew in front of me.

Then as I walked over the small bridge further on I saw a streak of blue as a Kingfisher blurred past. A little later a grey wagtail twitched and bobbed near the same point.

In all I stayed for 3 hours. Full species list below (30).

Cheers,
Chris

Woodpigeon (100+)
Blackbird
Wren
Great Tit
Blue Tit
Long Tailed Tit
Carrion Crow
Barn Owl
Mallard
Greylag Geese
Little Grebes + 6 chicks
Sedge Warbler
Kingfisher
Common Tern
Black headed Gull
Chaffinch
Coot
Magpie
Robin
Starling
Swallow
Swift
Goldfinch
Sparrow
Grey Heron
Moorhen
Kestrel
Reed bunting
Great Crester Grebe (juv)
Chiff-chaff

Attachments

• Barn Owl.JPG
    Barn Owl.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 76
  • kingfisher.JPG
    kingfisher.JPG
    144.6 KB · Views: 50
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back