• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

(not my record): Raven or Large-billed Crow | Sapporo, September 2023 (1 Viewer)

HouseCrow

I am often trying hard to find the common things that Common Crows share vs what Large-billed Crows share in Japan.
The clear Common Crows are obvious, the clear Large-billed Crows are a lot more obvious...and then there is the odd Raven...

Not usually in Honshu or farther south, but in Hokkaido....yes there they do winter in (very) small numbers.

What do you make of this probable juvenile* bird. It is easy to dismiss it as Large-billed but on what grounds?

I am inclined to think that the bill feathering is not running up the bill far enough, but is that really something to go by on a juvenile bird?*

*or is it -as Butty rightfully suggests- a moulting adult (or just scruffy).

hope to hear from you
cheers,
Gerben

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back