• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northumberland marsh tit? (1 Viewer)

Moadib

Will be travelling through Northumberland this weekend on the way back to Scotland, and wondering if there was anywhere recommended to stop off for some birding. Neither my wife nor I have seen marsh tit, so that was one species we wondered if it would be possible to see, and anywhere especially recommended to try and see them? We've seen willow tit in southern Scotland, but it seems marsh tit don't get up to our neck of the woods :)

Any suggestions very welcome!

Borough Woods, just west of Morpeth. Head west out of Morpeth on the B6343 Mitford Road; park in the small car park just west of the rugby club on the corner where the road bends sharp left over the bridge (grid ref NZ 189 862). Then walk along the riverside footpath; they can be anywhere in the next km or so of riverside woodland.

Edit: add GE printscreen

Attachments

• 00003.jpg
    00003.jpg
    542.9 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Wow, thanks very much Nutcracker, that looks a great help. Hopefully can stop by there on the way past on Saturday.

Any other recommendations still very welcome (we're happy to stop and birdwatch many times!) :) but huge thanks to Nutcracker.

You used to be able to see Marsh Tit in south-eastern Scotland, in the eighties they were found as far north as East Lothian but they have retreated southwards. Their stronghold was The Hirsel near Coldstream and if they are still hanging on in Scotland it would be there.

Thanks David. I've been a few times to the Hirsel, but have never seen a marsh tit. I'll pay close attention next time I visit. I saw willow tit down at Ken-Dee Marshes, so they seem to be hanging on in Scotland, and indeed bearded tit at Loch of Kinnordy, but never marsh tit.

It has always intrigued me how among very similar species, a coal tit can prevail where a willow tit cannot, and willow tit where marsh tit cannot. Small things must make the difference.

We did enjoy a nice walk, and we found a nice coffee shop nearby too. We walked for about an hour through the trails, and saw a lot of great and blue tits, gsw, willow warbler etc, but unfortunately no marsh tit showed up! :)

We really appreciated the recommendation though, and will definitely try stopping there again if we are passing the area.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back