• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northern Malaysia (1 Viewer)

iraqbabbler

I'll be in peninsular Malaysia for two weeks this December and was thinking of doing some birding there ..
I was wondering if there are places worthwhile in northern Malaysia to visit, especially as many field guides show that region as teaming with some really fantastic birds ..
Also, I will have the option of coming from Bangkok by bus all the way to KL.. is that recommended ? .. what are the pros/cons ?
Any comments would be greatly appreciates and thanks in advance

Thank you

Thanks Hanno,
I was thinking more of the places right up near the Thai border.. I did some Googling and Belum-Temengor seems to be a good place for hornbills and other forest birds .. have you been there ..

Anyway, thanks a million for your prompt reply to this post and by the way I love your website o:D

Hiya,

I have not been to Belum, but I did go to Hala Bala, just across the border. It was indeed heaving with Hornbills, I think we saw six species. Sorry that I cannot be of more help, but I am sure somebody else will be along shortly; there are a number of Malaysian birders on this forum.

semi-ripe durians

Thanks Hanno for your response to this post ..

As for the local birders in Malaysia, well it seems they're in a trance like state induced by a strain of the virus aviano stuporosis ... :-O .. As an Australian friend of mine who had spent some years in Malaysia describes it : they're waiting for their durians to ripen ;)

It looks like I'll have to make do with no help from the Malaysian birders on this site .. but never mind, it could be a blessing in disguise ..

Anyway, I really do appreciate your help Hanno .. so thank you for that and I really look forward to visiting Vietnam one day and experiencing the Vietnamese friendliness and hospitality first hand ..
Happy birding :king:

Thanks Hanno for your response to this post ..

As for the local birders in Malaysia, well it seems they're in a trance like state induced by a strain of the virus aviano stuporosis ... :-O .. As an Australian friend of mine who had spent some years in Malaysia describes it : they're waiting for their durians to ripen ;)

It looks like I'll have to make do with no help from the Malaysian birders on this site .. but never mind, it could be a blessing in disguise ..

Anyway, I really do appreciate your help Hanno .. so thank you for that and I really look forward to visiting Vietnam one day and experiencing the Vietnamese friendliness and hospitality first hand ..
Happy birding :king:

Well my friend..i thought we malaysian birders were quite helpfull..i didnt see your post...did to-day..i dont know much about belum i was there in1983 in the army..in k.l. i can point you to some good places that you could find birds..i would love to take you my self as i did hanno but the month of dec..is a time in my practice were if i want to die i cant...lol.:'D..call my hand-phone number when you reach k.l...my no is-016-2810371 or call me at my practice-03-31670072..from 8.30am to 12.30pm,then 2.30pm tp 4.30pm andthen 6.30pm tp 10.00pm from monday to friday..saturday i am only till 9pm in my practice..while on sunday..9am to 1pm..see if a sunday i can be free to take you around..regards and enjoy your birding...do p.m. me.:t:

Hornbills

Thank you Dr. Singh,
I was just looking for some pointers as to where may be a good place(s) in the northern part of Malaysia to see some species eg hornbills, woodpeckers, trogons .. etc .. I found Belum just from Google !!! .. As I have no idea about Malaysia, I was just hoping that some local birders could make a suggestion or two for any worthwhile places to visit in that region ..

By the way I have also emailed the Malaysia Nature Society, but I've got no response from them ..

Anyway, I'll consider my plans again and maybe I'll just stick to Thailand .. it's relatively easy birding there, low cost and very straightforward to come by info for places to visit ..

Once more, thanks for your reply and I'd certainly be glad to contact you if I do come to Malaysia o:D

Belum is quite a remote area..there is a small town called Grik..and a place caled banding..(old army camp..a still there is a camp)..they have opened up a resort..will try to find it in the net..will reply to-morrow..when are you planning to come if you come..let me know..regards...Manjeet.:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back