• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

North-west Scotland (1 Viewer)

Glaucous1

Planning a possible trip to Scotland next week.

I'll probably start off with a bash at the bottle-nosed dolphins on the Moray Firth (if they're there), before moving over to the west coast for a look for whales from a cruise, as well as sea-eagles from Portree on Skye.

May stay in the Gairloch area, and would like to try and get some shots of divers in breeding plumage if possible, from coastal bays rather than breeding areas.

Have they left breeding grounds yet, and if so are there any bays worth checking - I've been to Gruinard Bay before, is that as good as anywhere to look.

Any comments appreciated.

I just spent last weekend in that area, although it was not a birding trip.

We stayed at the Sands Campsite at Gairloch (near Big Sand, on the minor road north-west of Gairloch). I saw a breeding plumage red-throated diver just off the beach there and two more flying past. I also saw two Sea Eagles within 5 minutes of each other flying over close to the road at Gruinard.

We called in at Chanonry Point on the way home to try for the Dolphins, but we didn't know the tide times and the tide was going out so not much good. Check the tide times as the incoming tide is best.

A few other bird observations from my weekend trip that may (or may not) be of interest:

A few Arctic Skuas about at Big Sand, harrassing the gulls. Also two harrassing terns at Chanonry Point.

Plenty of Gannets fishing close inshore at Big Sand. Ringed Plovers and Turnstones on the beach

11 Greylag Geese flying inland at Gairloch (coming from the direction of the Outer Hebrides)

Loads of Ravens everywhere (30-40 over the weekend, compared with about 5 Hooded Crows)

Red Kite near Avoch on the Black Isle.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back