• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

North Ronaldsay (1 Viewer)

JTweedie

For those who visit North Ronaldsay regularly, what have you found to be the easiest way of getting there?

I believe you can get a ferry or a flight from Kirkwall? Have you ever known them to be cancelled due to bad weather, especially in winter?

Can I also ask - on the ferry from Aberdeen, does it have open decks?

The ferry to Orkney/ Shetland from Aberdeen has open decks. It may be worth considering other ferries to Orkney though, as they're shorter and probably have more flexible running times, which will allow you to connect with travel to North Ron more easily. If you get the ferry from Aberdeen, you'll probably need to overnight in Kirkwall. Both times I've been in the past two years, I've flown Aberdeen-Kirkwall, which is quick and convenient but a bit expensive.

The flights from Kirkwall to North Ron are quick and very cheap, particularly if you're staying overnight. They seem to have quite a low baggage allowance (15kg for everything) but aren't actually too strict on it in practice. The planes are very small. If the weather's good, you get lovely views over the archipelago.

Ferries can get cancelled because of bad weather but so can flights. This year, there were no flights in or out of North Ron for about two days because of bad weather when I was there. Then, the flight I was booked to leave on got cancelled because of 'technical issues' and I had to stay another night (not the worst thing to happen, to be fair).

Basically, there aren't simple answers but there are a variety of options. All of those options could come unstuck though!

I'd also add that North Ron is totally great, the Obs is really nice (and excellent value) and the staff are friendly. It's also a fantastic birding and wildlife experience.

Thanks very much Andrew. Sounds like it's worth booking a few days off at the end of a scheduled visit just in case flights or ferries get cancelled.

I was looking at their monthly bird sightings and it looked like there is something worth seeing right through the year, although spring and autumn look the most promising.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back