• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

North Okanagan, BC, Canada - birding guide recommendations (1 Viewer)

kb57

Europe
After many years of deliberation, my partner is finally getting round to visiting an old friend in Canada this coming October. She has zero knowledge of North American birds, having only ever visited Canada once before, over 30 years ago, and has asked me to help her find out if there are anyone in the area who can do a day's guided birding as an intro to the local avifauna.
I've been trawling through eBird and snooping on observer profiles to see if I can find any local guides - so far I've only found one (Avocet Tours) who haven't responded to our request.
She's not looking for anything at all hardcore, being more into observation than listing, and in fact would be very happy if she could photograph a Northern Flicker!
Any recommendations gratefully received, if only to save me from being woken in the middle of the night by my phone buzzing with back-of-camera shots for ID requests...

This site seems mainly intended to help people who want to do their own thing.
There is a guy named Keith Taylor who have written a couple of "where to ..." guides for BC who I did have an impression did tours at least 10 years ago. What the situation is now (or if I even remember correctly) I do not know.

Maybe you should place the phone in another room so that the buzzing doesn't wake you up :cool:
Niels

This site seems mainly intended to help people who want to do their own thing.
There is a guy named Keith Taylor who have written a couple of "where to ..." guides for BC who I did have an impression did tours at least 10 years ago. What the situation is now (or if I even remember correctly) I do not know.

Maybe you should place the phone in another room so that the buzzing doesn't wake you up :cool:
Niels
Thanks, I hadn't seen that website - although as you say it is more self-help rather than guide-oriented. Unfortunately a lot of the links to local groups return a 404 error..I might try joining the Discord group and ask there.

If I can remember to set 'sleep' mode on my iPhone so the alarm still wakes me up, I'll be good! If I forget, I have a bad habit of just turning Silent Mode on and sleeping in...

Chris Charlesworth and team are local to the area and highly recommended. Maybe try again, or I can message him on your behalf?
Hi Nohatch, I'd be grateful if you could reach out to him - I only have the contact form on the website, and although that got my partner added to their mailing list, it didn't elicit a response to our specific enquiry. Happy for you to DM me any reply.

A post to the Birding BC Discord group hasn't produced any response either - it seems to function more as a rare bird alert rather than place for people to post requests for services

Hi Nohatch, I'd be grateful if you could reach out to him - I only have the contact form on the website, and although that got my partner added to their mailing list, it didn't elicit a response to our specific enquiry. Happy for you to DM me any reply.

A post to the Birding BC Discord group hasn't produced any response either - it seems to function more as a rare bird alert rather than place for people to post requests for services
I notified them of this thread, and they said they'd reach out to you.
Have a good trip!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back