• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

North Kent This Saturday - Elmley or Cliffe or Rainham or Where? (1 Viewer)

Just spotted your post, I am quiet close to Hever, but unfortunately new to birding.

Nearest place to visit to Hever (around 2 miles) is Bough Beech, think viewing is along the road (wide path) but there is a visitors center. Its run buy Kent Wildlife Trust.

Sevenoaks Wildlife Reserve is also quiet close (8miles as the crow flies), also run by KWT. I visited last weekend and really liked it. SPecies wise quiet a bit of wildfowl, kingfishers, , etc. lenty of hides and a visitors center (check opening days), also a place to grab a cuppa.

The area also has a good footpact network, the one between Tonbridge and Penshurst is worth a go, pubs both ends. There is also a long river walk in the area (Medway Valley Walk), heres a link to some LINK

I havent ventured out to the coastal bits specifically for birding, but the seven sisters country park is nice area if you fance some coastal walking.

As your so well served for train links, and near to London the WWT site at Barnes is worth a look if you havent been there. Very easy to get to just grab any train that goes to Waterloo (East) cross over to the main station, then get a train that heads to Barnes, 6 stops out, think its the Windsor line. Barnes is an extremly interesting site with both native and introduced species, the way the site was developed is also unusual.

As you in the area some nice pubs are
Bottle House Penshurst. One of the best eating pubs in the country (has website check for deals), also very nice beer (local Larkins)

Rock and Chiddingstone Hoath. Very old fashioned pub, log fires, dogs welsom.

Halfway House Brenchley. Large country pub, near to Bewl Water (large lake with nature reserve).

Leicester Arms Penshurst. Good place to start or finish a walk.

As I said new to birding, but have lived and worked in the rea all my 32 years. Any info you want just ask.

Thanks for the replies MrFlibble , visited Bough Beech were a Nightingale was showing very all week along with Common and Arctic Terns. Also went to Elmley were we saw Yellow wagtail , Marsh harrier , Avocets etc etc.Found the Rock pub by accident on saturday when trying to walk to Penshurst , what a nice old pub.

Good walk at Cliffe, before reserve at bottom of Salt Lane turn left to Brett works, bend right (can park here) bend left, through gap (public right of way) at side of gates (railway ahead) footpath right before railway, up past works to yard watch for tractors etc. left to concrete wall, path runs beside. Go to end of wall (can drop down to walk parallel with pool on left, through stile. Right along dyke parallel with large pool (boats and fort seen far end) Terns and gulls on islands that end, good views over Thames. Follow dyke round to conveyor system, don't panic path fenced to go under conveyor. Go staight on to creek corner then right, follow wall beside creek and on to cliffe pools. Marsh Harriers can be seen (once put one to flight from sedge bed). Can be more productive than this end of reserve.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back