• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

North Island Saddlebacks (1 Viewer)

Well they all have the golden-buff bar on the mantle which South Island doesn't show. Pretty straightforward really. Also the young on Tiri certainly aren't 'jackbirds'

Jackbird?

I know I should be more careful with my sub-species, especially if a split is possible, but at the time I didn't note plumage variations.

Thanks for the info. I can now see the difference quite clearly in my field guide.

Hey Andy

'Jackbird' is what young SI Saddlebacks were called when first seen and were thought to be a different species. I found SI Saddles to be alot more skulking and retiring than NI ones too

Ads

I was led to believe the best way to see SI Saddleback was to visit Motorua island in Queen Charlotte sound (which can be combined with a King Shag trip) and wait by the small drinking pool near the landing point for them to show. Uuuuunfortunately, when I was there last October the island was disturbed by the construction of a new walking trail so the drinking pool was no good. I did see a couple in the forest though. That was 9 months ago, I presume the trail has now been completed. It'd be interesting to know if anyone has had any good views of them at the drinking pool again.

Introduced SI saddleback common and easy on Ulva Island where there were unringed juvs in Nov last year; plenty of bling on the adults tho

a

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back